PDA

View Full Version : Yet another tablesaw inquiry.......Grizzly G0444

allan cripe
02-22-2008, 2:48 PM
I'm finally at the point where i have some $$ to lay down on a TS. Not serious $$ mind you, but around 600-700. I do not have 220 service in my shop(garage). I have two 20A circuits in there. I really like the Grizzly G0444. For around 535 plus shipping, plus a good blade, I'm right in there. Does anyone own one of these, and/or have something comperable? I like the cast iron table, but it does have steel wings...the g0444z has cast wings, but not practical for my garage power.......I do not own any grizzly products...they are not marketed down here in central texas much....but they do seem to have a wonderful rep.

thanks in advance

Al

Eric Haycraft
02-22-2008, 3:02 PM
Take a look at the 661. Same thing but with a riving knife, so it will be much safer to use. All three (661, 444, 444z) should be fine for 120/20 amp.

Ben Cadotte
02-22-2008, 3:16 PM
Take a look at the 661. Same thing but with a riving knife, so it will be much safer to use. All three (661, 444, 444z) should be fine for 120/20 amp.

I also vote for the G0661!! The cast wings are worth it over the stamp steel extensions for the table. The true riving knife is much easier to use than the simple splitter. That extra 1/2 horsepower will make a difference as well. It is absolutely worth it to spend the extra $190 for it. I know you listed your ammount you have now. But even if you have to wait just a bit longer. In my opinion it is worth it though. 6 years ago I had the money for a Sears contractors saw. I fell into the I want it now syndrome. I could have gotten a much better saw from Griz if I had just been willing to wait a week for delivery. I am not a fan of the stamped steel extension wings!

If you can get or wait till you can get the G0661.

Tim Thomas
02-22-2008, 3:42 PM
Hey Allan,

I have the Shop Fox W1726 table saw which is very similar to the Grizzly G0444z. Same motor, rails, fence, cast extensions, etc. (I've heard that Shop Fox tools are made in the same factory and are mainly just rebadged and painted white instead of green.) My saw came prewired for 220 service (as does the G0444z) but it also came with the needed parts to rewire the motor for 110. Make sure the Grizzly is the same way, I'm betting it is.

I actually ran a 220 circuit because I had the space available in my panel. Also, I read that my particular motor draws a huge number of amps when wired for 110 and would be too much for my existing 15 amp breakers. You may want to check with Grizzly and see how many amps their motor will draw on 110, your 20 amp circuits may be better able to handle it.

I looked at the G0444z but got the Shop Fox because a dealer near me put the last 2 he had on clearance. I've been very happy with my saw and I think you will enjoy whichever Grizzly you decide on. (Note: Unless you don't ever plan to move your saw, I would invest in a mobile base. I got the Shop Fox mobile base for about $70 and it was money well spent.)

John Schreiber
02-22-2008, 4:12 PM
That G0661 looks like just the thing. I've been saving for a saw and have decided that I won't buy until I can afford one with a riving knife. Big increase in safety over a splitter. The Grizzly page says that it also has an internal hood around the blade which should make it much better for dust collection than a contractor saw usually is. It's not a cabinet saw, but it looks like it could meet my needs.

Jim Podsedly
02-22-2008, 4:45 PM
I have had the Grizzly g0444z for 3 years now and it has been a great tool in the shop. Not a single issue with it and it is used quite a bit.

allan cripe
02-22-2008, 7:26 PM
I think the 661 requires a 30a circuit for 120v operation, that is unfortunately going to make this not an option....even if I had the extra $$$ for it.

How does a riving knife improve safety vs. a splitter??

This will be my first TS?

Ben Cadotte
02-22-2008, 7:30 PM
Its a 20 amp 110v motor, 10 amp 220v motor. Says recommended circuit 30 amps. Since I don't have it, cant say it will or will not run on a 20 amp circuit. Maybe for starting it pulls more than 20 amps. :confused:

allan cripe
02-22-2008, 7:36 PM
prolly so, I need to contact the Grizz to find out exactly what it pulls upon startup

Ben Cadotte
02-22-2008, 7:37 PM
Be nice if you could use it. I think 1/2 hp would make a difference. Riving knife is the big selling point for me.

scott spencer
02-22-2008, 7:38 PM
The move to a Grizzly hybrid (G0661 or G0478) has several advantages over the G0444 or other contractor saws with outboard motors. Staying within your price range, I'd check out the Jet Proshop 708480K (http://www.amazon.com/Jet-708480K-JPS-30-ProShop-Tablesaw/dp/B000WO1HU6/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1203726567&sr=8-1) hybrid for $630 shipped, or the Craftsman 22114 (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00922114000P?keyword=22114) hybrid that goes on sale often < $600. Delta, General International, Woodtek, Sunhill, Steel City, and Hitachi all have hybrid models that will run on a standard 110v circuit.

Good luck with your decision...

Eric Haycraft
02-22-2008, 7:47 PM
I think the 661 requires a 30a circuit for 120v operation, that is unfortunately going to make this not an option....even if I had the extra $$$ for it.

How does a riving knife improve safety vs. a splitter??

This will be my first TS?

Definitely give them a call...or maybe an email so you have their answer in writing if things don't work out perfectly.

As far as a riving knife compared to a splitter - you will be hard pressed to find someone on here that would argue that a riving knife isn't safer. The reason for this is that the riving knife travels up and down with the blade and rests 1/4 inch or so behind the blade. A splitter is always at a fixed height and there is usually a large gap between the back of the blade and the front of the splitter since most cuts aren't at full blade height. This larger gap gives a greater opportunity for wood to bind on the back of the blade and cause a kickback. Some riving knives sit below the top of the blade and therefore can be left in for all non-dado cuts increasing safety further. There was a review of the SawStop where the reviewer claimed that the riving knife was probably the biggest safety feature on that saw and the stopping mechanism was the second biggest safety feature. In short, a riving knife greatly reduces the chance of kickback.

scott spencer
02-22-2008, 8:00 PM
Definitely give them a call...or maybe an email so you have their answer in writing if things don't work out perfectly.

As far as a riving knife compared to a splitter - you will be hard pressed to find someone on here that would argue that a riving knife isn't safer. The reason for this is that the riving knife travels up and down with the blade and rests 1/4 inch or so behind the blade. A splitter is always at a fixed height and there is usually a large gap between the back of the blade and the front of the splitter since most cuts aren't at full blade height. This larger gap gives a greater opportunity for wood to bind on the back of the blade and cause a kickback. Some riving knives sit below the top of the blade and therefore can be left in for all non-dado cuts increasing safety further. There was a review of the SawStop where the reviewer claimed that the riving knife was probably the biggest safety feature on that saw and the stopping mechanism was the second biggest safety feature. In short, a riving knife greatly reduces the chance of kickback.

The riving is definitely a more elegant solution. In addition to the advantages Eric stated, one the most significant advantage of a riving knife is that it tends to actually get used. A decent splitter is capable of the task but many people remove them for various reasons which defeats the purpose. The RK is a feature I'd like to have some day, but it's not something I'd pay a big premium for.

John Yogus
02-22-2008, 8:57 PM
I was in about the same boat. I looked into the Jet Proshop from Lowes. It's a special order item. I had a 10% off coupon and walked out paying a total of about $615. It will take until April to get though.

Kevin Godshall
02-23-2008, 8:31 AM
Its a 20 amp 110v motor, 10 amp 220v motor. Says recommended circuit 30 amps. Since I don't have it, cant say it will or will not run on a 20 amp circuit. Maybe for starting it pulls more than 20 amps. :confused:

I have a 444z and I love it. Only problem I've had has been that I wired it for 110V and used a 20a breaker. Spent alot of time resetting breaker until I put in the RECOMMENDED 30a. Now no problems with it whatsoever. Power to spare, even on heavy hardwood rips.

David Gunn
02-23-2008, 10:52 PM
If you like the G0444, you will really like the Ridgid TS3650. It is similar to the Grizzly. It has an all cast iron top and a mobile base is included. It has a pretty decent fence too. Also no shipping, as long as you have a Home Depot close by. If you are going to stay in the 1-1/2 hp range, I would suggest checking out this saw. It has a strong following and gets really good reviews from it's owners.