PDA

View Full Version : The problem with basement shops...

Bryan Berguson
02-22-2008, 1:23 PM
Leaky pipes! I'm finishing a display that I'm building for work which is on the workbench letting the finish cure. This morning when I went to take a look I was treated to a 3" puddle of water sitting on it! Finish is Shellac and the water left a nice white spot for me to fix!

Lesson learned. I moved to a different area of the shop for my finishing. The leak was from a bad glue joint on a pvc drain, btw.

Other than that, I love my warm (usually dry) basement shop.

Bryan

Ben Cadotte
02-22-2008, 4:09 PM
At least it was not a flood. I have an uncle that is an electrician, and he did me a favor and installed a new breaker panel for me. He put it right under a water line for a radiator. I told him I am going to have to move it, and he was like why??? I then explained I don't want a water source right above my main power panel.

So I am going to move it to a different spot. Luckilly its not wired in yet. Waiting for spring till I tear out the walls and redo all the wiring and insulate the house. Old Colonial with some knob and tube still in use and no insulation. Can you say OIL BILLS. :rolleyes:

Daniel McCurdy
02-22-2008, 4:20 PM
Hope that leak was from a supply line and not a drain. Otherwise, you might have some extra 'stuff' to clean up:eek:.

Sorry to hear about the project, but I guess for your sake its a good thing you discovered the leak now as opposed to after a long vacation or something!