PDA

View Full Version : Red line spalting

Arlan Ten Kley
02-22-2008, 11:53 AM
I've completed the "high protein" spalted bowl and its sibling. Several places in this wood have red line spalting. Sometimes all by itself and other times in conjunction with black lines. Now, I have not turned all that much spalted wood....or unspalted for that matter(!) but have never noticed bright red in spalting. Is this common?

The first bowl is the original one with the large grub. I left it very rustic by not filling anything...some worn holes were completely impacted, some partially and others were completely open. All were left as they occurred. The wood took a nice finish (I'm wondering if it could be Magnolia) so the bowl really has a contrast of textures. The second bowl is the sister blank from this section. The picture makes the foot look larger than is seems in real life....so i'm wondering if it really is too big, or are the maker's eyes fooling him in real life?!

Steve Schlumpf
02-22-2008, 11:57 AM
Arlan - that's a couple of very nice looking bowls! Love all the spalting and holes! I turn mostly spalted birch and have found every color in the rainbow so far. Must just depend on the wood. Nice work! Looking forward to seeing more!

curtis rosche
02-22-2008, 12:26 PM
looks like it might be cherry i have a crapload of heavily spalted cherry burls that are like that but still have that shimery grain

they look awsome

Paul Engle
02-22-2008, 12:48 PM
Yep, In birch you will also find bright green spalting ( very fresh) nice looking stuff . Keep em commin.:D

Bernie Weishapl
02-22-2008, 1:05 PM
Great looking bowls Arlan. Have seen green spalting but not red.

Ben Gastfriend
02-22-2008, 4:52 PM
They are absolutely beautiful! That spalting is awsome, and so are the worm holes. I've never seen anything but black spalting, so now you have be wanting multi-colored spalted wood. Both of the bowls have a really nice finish, and the foot doesn't seem out of proportion. Sometimes a prefer a small foot, it gives the bowl height.