PDA

View Full Version : Vector magic

James Jaragosky
02-22-2008, 9:57 AM
It looks like Vector magic is starting to charge for their services, by the piece.:(
All good things must come to an end i guess.

Ed Maloney
02-22-2008, 10:28 AM
I just heard that too. I quickly looked around and didn't see any mention about how much it is going to cost.

Lee DeRaud
02-22-2008, 10:34 AM
At least they're making the pricing "by the piece" rather than "by the vectorization attempt": if I read the fine print correctly, you can keep twiddling settings and rerunning an uploaded file until you're happy with the results. Although I haven't figured out yet whether it's charged "by the upload" or "by the download": I have a tendency to run each file in both 'photo' and 'logo' mode.

Uh, that was confusing, wasn't it? Ok, two possibilities for what you get from one "token":

1. Upload a file, vectorize it multiple times, download one result you like. (AKA "charge by the download")

2. Upload a file, vectorize it and download the result multiple times. (AKA "charge by the upload")

I hope it's #2, but I can live with #1.

(What I was afraid of when I saw the email was:
3. Upload a file, vectorize it, download the result whether you like it or not.)

Lee DeRaud
02-22-2008, 10:37 AM
I just heard that too. I quickly looked around and didn't see any mention about how much it is going to cost.About $3 a pop, with quantity discounts bringing it down to something under $2. (And there's a 20% off special running for the next week or so.)

If you register now (which is free), you get four freebies.

Pete Simmons
02-22-2008, 10:46 AM
As I understand it you can upload and run it many times and download a raster file to see how it will look.

You are only charged when you download the vector file.

$2 - $3 each - a deal when you have an image that converted well.

$0.00 to try your image - not bad.

Scott Shepherd
02-22-2008, 11:11 AM
I thought the prices were a steal. I also found the statement posted to be dead on- this is a quote from their site :

"While this does mean an end to the free service, please remember that neither computer resources nor programmers are free..."

Scott Shepherd
05-01-2008, 4:06 PM
Just an update for anyone who's used Vector Magic or wanted to. You used to have to buy a credit for $1 to have the conversion done. They are now offering a subscription service that's currently on sale.

For $4.95 a month you can get unlimited conversions. It's just what I needed because almost everything I have paid for through them hasn't worked out well. It looks great on the screen, but once in Corel, you see a lot of small issues. Now I can see the issues, go back into it, look at the target problem area and just change the processing parameters until it's fixed.

Best $5 I spent this month. Wait...it's only May 1st :)

Bill Cunningham
05-01-2008, 9:34 PM
Vector magic seems to work fine, but I am certainly impressed with the new trace function of X4..

Lee DeRaud
05-02-2008, 3:42 PM
Just an update for anyone who's used Vector Magic or wanted to. You used to have to buy a credit for $1 to have the conversion done. They are now offering a subscription service that's currently on sale.

For $4.95 a month you can get unlimited conversions.It's going to be interesting to see what the price of the standalone version turns out to be: some interesting trade-offs there, depending on how much stuff you're feeding through their servers.