PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Band Saw Riser Block

Steven Shelby
02-22-2008, 9:08 AM
Have you ever had an issue where the longer you look at the problem, the more convinced you are that you're looking right at the solution and don't realize it? That's what I am going through at the moment and I hope my fellow Creeksters can help! I have a feeling that someone who has had the same issue will read this and have a simple solution. Here goes:

I recently bought the G0555 band saw and later decided to also buy the riser block kit. The kit arrived and I spent part of last Saturday installing it. The the whole thing went swimmingly until I got to the blade install. I encountered one small problem: The blade doesn't fit! Seriously, it's as though the blade is a couple inches shorter than it should be.
I took the following action:
1)measured the blade. Yep, 105". that's not it. I mean, those blades are hard to measure but it seemed PD close to 105.
2) made sure the tension was as loose as it would go, didn't make any difference
and, finally,
3) Called Grizzly Tech Support.

First, I must say that Shiraz's employees are some of the most friendly and helpful people I have ever done business with. I called and was told that a Tech would call me back.

A couple hours later, I got a call from Brian. We went back over the install steps and concluded that it's a pretty simple process and is fairly hard to foul up. I beleive my exact words were "it would take a complete moron to screw this up!" I may end up having these words served up to me for lunch on a silver platter.

Anyway, we couldn't find anything wrong with the installation. So Brian said he would send me a new blade in case, for some reason, the blade was too short.

The new blade came last night and, sure enough, it doesn't fit either. I pulled out the manual and read step by step how to install and tension the blade. I loosened the spacer and tried to create more slack in the blade... no help. I even had DW come into the shop and offer up a 2nd set of eyes (she's really good at that stuff) and she came up empty. I'm stumped! Baffled! Beaten!

Before I put another Saturday into being on the phone with Grizzly, I was hoping one of us could offer some thoughts. It's probably so simple that I'll feel like a diltz when you tell me what I'm missing. So Be gentle!
Thanks, all!
Steve

Eric Haycraft
02-22-2008, 9:37 AM
Have you ever had an issue where the longer you look at the problem, the more convinced you are that you're looking right at the solution and don't realize it? That's what I am going through at the moment and I hope my fellow Creeksters can help! I have a feeling that someone who has had the same issue will read this and have a simple solution. Here goes:

I recently bought the G0555 band saw and later decided to also buy the riser block kit. The kit arrived and I spent part of last Saturday installing it. The the whole thing went swimmingly until I got to the blade install. I encountered one small problem: The blade doesn't fit! Seriously, it's as though the blade is a couple inches shorter than it should be.
I took the following action:
1)measured the blade. Yep, 105". that's not it. I mean, those blades are hard to measure but it seemed PD close to 105.
2) made sure the tension was as loose as it would go, didn't make any difference
and, finally,
3) Called Grizzly Tech Support.

First, I must say that Shiraz's employees are some of the most friendly and helpful people I have ever done business with. I called and was told that a Tech would call me back.

A couple hours later, I got a call from Brian. We went back over the install steps and concluded that it's a pretty simple process and is fairly hard to foul up. I beleive my exact words were "it would take a complete moron to screw this up!" I may end up having these words served up to me for lunch on a silver platter.

Anyway, we couldn't find anything wrong with the installation. So Brian said he would send me a new blade in case, for some reason, the blade was too short.

The new blade came last night and, sure enough, it doesn't fit either. I pulled out the manual and read step by step how to install and tension the blade. I loosened the spacer and tried to create more slack in the blade... no help. I even had DW come into the shop and offer up a 2nd set of eyes (she's really good at that stuff) and she came up empty. I'm stumped! Baffled! Beaten!

Before I put another Saturday into being on the phone with Grizzly, I was hoping one of us could offer some thoughts. It's probably so simple that I'll feel like a diltz when you tell me what I'm missing. So Be gentle!
Thanks, all!
Steve

I have the exact same setup as you. I did notice that after putting the riser in, I had to loosen the tensioner dramatically to get the new band on. If you haven't cranked that down all the way, do that.

John Eaton
02-22-2008, 10:07 AM
Same thing with me when I added the block - the tensioner had to be loosed all the way.

-- John

Alan Schwabacher
02-22-2008, 10:46 AM
Check to make sure that the metal block the tension screw goes through is actually sliding down when you decrease the tension setting. If it is caught, that could cause your problem. You can try wiggling the top wheel too, to help it slide down.

Kurt Forbes
02-22-2008, 6:47 PM
Ya sounds like the top wheel is not dropping all the way wiggle it once you back off on the tension

Quesne Ouaques
02-22-2008, 7:51 PM
I've got the same saw, but the older version (6 years old). I also have the riser block, and as I recall I had to readjust the top wheel when I installed it. There is quite a bit of play in the tension adjustment, and you need to make sure it's as low as it will go.

Steven Shelby
02-23-2008, 8:08 AM
Yep, that did the trick!
I just cranked on the knob til I thought it might fall off, the wheel dropped about two inches, I slid the blade on, adjusted the tension and all the other settings... and we're off and running! I actually used it this morning.

Thanks, Guys!

I guess I'll be eating alphabet soup for lunch today. Can I at least put a couple squirts of Frank's on it!

Thanks, again!