PDA

View Full Version : Jack Frost is a Jerk....

Stephen Beckham
02-22-2008, 8:57 AM
Well - it looks good, but sure does cause troubles... Took these pictures on the way out to take care the animals this morning...

LOML is on the volunteer firefighter team and she's been getting calls for accident after accident... If only they could see us now in Fargo... We would be free intertainment and fill up the worst driver films...

Ken Fitzgerald
02-22-2008, 9:00 AM
Freezing rain.....creates ice and it's a booger to drive in......Be careful!

Steve Schlumpf
02-22-2008, 9:27 AM
Man - you guys got hit! I would rather have snow and below zero temps than freezing rain! Watch out for the trees should a wind come up. I've seen branches break off with little or no wind - just having the temps increase a little! Hope it passes soon and with little damage for you!

Rick Huelsbeck
02-22-2008, 9:43 AM
Well - it looks good, but sure does cause troubles... Took these pictures on the way out to take care the animals this morning...

LOML is on the volunteer firefighter team and she's been getting calls for accident after accident... If only they could see us now in Fargo... We would be free intertainment and fill up the worst driver films...

I'm from Louisville, and well this is just the tip of the iceberg so to speak as to what these poor folks have had to put up with in the last few weeks, Glad to see you guys are hanging in there Stephen. We have some ice on the sidewalks here, but no where near as much as what you guys seem to have.

Stephen Beckham
02-22-2008, 10:42 AM
Rick - we're on cliff overlooking the Ohio (South side on border of Otter Creek park) and get a lot of moisture from the river but as I left the house this morning, the roads and all were a lot better in town.

I found some pieces that were better than 3/8" thick on the side of the truck facing the river (had to literally break in). I've seen a couple storms like this in Europe, but this is crazy for Kentucky...

I can only imagine what they got North of us, since we were on the southern tip of the storm...

Icees anyone? :D

Rich Stewart
02-22-2008, 10:44 AM
I hope there is more to that rabbit hutch than shows in the peecher. That'll be a cold bunny if that's all there is.

Stephen Beckham
02-22-2008, 10:47 AM
Rich, he has a cubby - he hardly ever sits in it - only during the middle of a storm. He's got straw that he kind of curls up into...

T-Rex!

He was supposed to be added to some pepper and potatoes some time back, but family grew attached - never should have let the kids name him... Now he'd be too tough and fatty.... That's okay, he had brothers and sisters...

Chris Padilla
02-22-2008, 11:11 AM
We happen to have an SMC Member by that name...I'm not sure he would appreciate this thread.

;) kidding.... :D

Randal Stevenson
02-22-2008, 11:24 AM
We happen to have an SMC Member by that name...I'm not sure he would appreciate this thread.

I thought about getting a legal name change to Dennis Leary's most famous song, Iman A*******

After all real names are used, LOL :D

Rich Stewart
02-22-2008, 12:48 PM
LMBO! The old farmers saying: "Never name something you intend to eat." Didn't mean to sound like a PETA PITA but I have a soft spot for little furry things.

Joe Pelonio
02-22-2008, 6:28 PM
Freezing rain.....creates ice and it's a booger to drive in......Be careful!
After some experiences with it I stay home in freezing rain, everyone else should too. Today though, we had sun all day and it got up to 62. :D

Not often I get to brag about the winter weather!

Stephen Beckham
02-22-2008, 8:11 PM
Here's two I got with the camera phone as I was leaving... There wasn't any bird food left anyway and yes the XM radio still worked... The antenna wire gives you a good idea of how thick it was... Yes that is broken limbs under the feeder - they are all over the place... Guess I can skip the pruning this year!

Sorry Jack... :rolleyes: Who would have thought the frosty guy was a Creeker... :eek:

Belinda Barfield
02-23-2008, 9:35 AM
Sorry to see that you are having such yucky weather. I'd love to see photos of your property without the ice. It looks like a really lovely place.

John Shuk
02-23-2008, 9:39 AM
I grew up with a kid who was named Jack Frost. Named after his father. He was a good guy.

Stephen Beckham
02-23-2008, 10:48 PM
Belinda,

We're a bit modest, but because you requested - here's the Kentucky homestead...:eek:

Sorry - couldn't resist - that's actually the old general store down around Maker's Mark Distillary. I've got some photos of the place I'll dig up... It's a nice little place in the middle of no-where! If you're here, your either lost or you're looking for us!:D

Stephen Beckham
03-02-2008, 9:27 PM
Belinda,

My partner is one of them crazy paragliders that happens to do arials... He flew over yesterday and took this shot.

Bottom of the photo is the wood fence for a 3 acre field with two horses (neighbor's). Beyond the field is a slew of red and yellow maples, couple varieties of hardwood and bunch of cedar on rolling hills. An awesome view on nice mornings sitting on the front porch - especially during fall.

Off the left side is the small pond and then the road leads down to the pole barn. Down behind the barn we have the "hollar." Not how it's supposed to be spelled, but if you remember the bell from the ice storm pictures - if it doesn't work, we have to "hollar" for the kids to come up... There's a nice spot down there that we allow Boy Scouts and Venture groups to come and camp out on.

Off the top and the right is the back side of the property line. Just over 3 acres total. On the right side of the road is the border of the Louisville Park system's Otter Creek Park. Campers and Hikers are always coming up the hill lost and looking for directions. Wish I had a banjo and could play the song from Deliverance...

Coming from Baltimore to Kentucky - this was about enough room for six or seven houses... We felt like we were on a deserted island...

So to the animals - well - on the side of the pole barn I have a peacock pen that was built on to the back stall. A hole was cut that allowed them inside access and the stall was 'penned off' with chicken wire.

To the left of the Pop-up you see the white roof of the chicken coop. It just happens that they share it with the three ducks, three geese and the four remaining Guinni Hens (spelling). Them rascals pop-out up to 15 babies twice a year. The Coyotes take care of most of them as a snack... It's hard to keep them. At least all the foul is smart enough to stay in the house at night...

To the right of that you can see the wood railing for the top for the dog pen. It use to be two seperate pens for when we were breeding puppies - but the last storm knocked down a big portion between the two pens. Not a big deal - we haven't had the time or desire to raise anymore puppies.

The wood shed that has the Rabbit pen and where we raise the chicks in the Spring is right behind the house - it's blocked by the tree next to the bus.

The Ohio river is just about 200 Meters down the hill. We have a underground creek that comes out just to the side of our house running to the river.

Not a day goes by that I don't count my blessings from the good Lord. Great family and a great place to settle down. We had 16 different mailing addresses in the first 11 years of marriage due to the Army. Now we've got a beautiful place to call home! Hope I haven't gloated too much...