PDA

View Full Version : Glueing a stopper to a blank

Bob Roberts
02-22-2008, 8:50 AM
I apologize in advance because i feel sure that this has already been asked, but....what type of glue do you use to secure your blank to the stainless steel type stoppers?

Ken Fitzgerald
02-22-2008, 8:57 AM
Bob,

I typically use a threaded stopper and just screw the stopper to the finish turned blank. In the event that the turned blank has it's hole stripped out from the mandrel, I'll use 5 minute epoxy.

David Walser
02-22-2008, 9:29 AM
Ruth Niles (who sells some of the best stoppers available) recommends the following on her website:
Glue the stainless steel stopper base into the wood with either an epoxy or Tite Bond III. Many turners use the Tite Bond with great success. Don't use CA glue as it will break down in time especially with temperature changes if the owner puts it in the fridge.

http://www.torne-lignum.com/make_stoppers.html
Note: This her advice for stoppers without threads. If your stoppers are threaded, there is no need to glue them (although many turners do).

Bernie Weishapl
02-22-2008, 10:15 AM
I use 5 minute epoxy on both threaded and unthreaded. Haven't had on come apart yet.

Ben Gastfriend
02-22-2008, 10:35 AM
As Ruth says, Titebond works just as well, and for me, not having to mix up epoxy is a big plus.

David Walser
02-22-2008, 10:45 AM
Note that Ruth recommends Titebond III, not the original or II. Titebond III is waterproof -- which might be important if a buyer decides to wash the bottle stopper.

If you're using threaded stoppers, this might be an argument against gluing them. By not gluing them, you allow the buyers to remove the wood handle in case they want to drop the stopper in the dishwasher. Just a thought.

John W. Willis
02-22-2008, 6:38 PM
I use medium CA or polyurethane depending on my mood. I may be odd but I glue only the shaft (threaded or un-threaded) into the wood and leave the other threaded end unglued so that if they should need to take it apart to wash it the bottom can be screwed off.

Richard Madison
02-22-2008, 8:25 PM
Titebond III w/ SSNiles threaded stoppers. Coat inside of hole, but not too much, as it can seal hydraulically and either split the stopper or prevent complete assembly.