PDA

View Full Version : ENCO Tools?

mike thomas01
02-21-2008, 11:17 PM
Does anyone have any info or recomendations about ENCO tools. I found an ENCO jointer on that auction site for 400.00 dollars-"buy it now". Its an 8 inch jointer with a 66" (I think) bed. I was wondering if it was worth my time. I've never heard of ENCO but that means nothing. I never heard Grizzly until I got their free catalog. (Now I'm hooked!) Thanks for the help.

kerry sutley
02-22-2008, 12:00 AM
Enco is like Grizzly, a tool importer from various mfgs with different
levels of quailty at different times on the same items. They are an old
company (long before Grizzly) and reasonably respected for low to mid
end items in the metal working trade. I have a couple of Enco machines here that have given
me excellent service over the years (metal working). Enco imported
a lot of machinery from Taiwan before they became to expensive and
made the switch to China so depending on age it could be a taiwan built
machine with a pretty high level of quality or a china built machine of
varying quality. If it is cheap and close "I" would be looking..... your mileage
may vary.

Ed Beers
02-22-2008, 3:23 AM
One of the ones on this page?

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=599&PMITEM=150-5110

I have bought metal working tools from them. Generally good prices, fast and efficient shipping. Their own brand stuff is servicable but you won't confuse it with something good. The jointer is probably much like anyone else's taiwan/china made jointer. Not sure how they would be on parts. If it's the 66" bed the price is OK if you can pick it up.

Al Willits
02-22-2008, 8:57 AM
Kerry hit it, I've had the chance to play on a couple of the milling machines and while not Bridgeport quality they work fine for the hobbyist.

I had a chance to set one for a friend and we disassembled it, re-greased, adjusted, and removed any rough spots and it worked quite well.

I'd imagine the other power tools from them are about the same, if I bought the jointer I'd go though it and fine tune/inspect it

Al