PDA

View Full Version : Looking into Dust Collectors(I'm clueless)

Kyle Costlow
02-21-2008, 11:00 PM
I suppose I need some measure of dust collection since I will be working in my parents basement(and for my own well being I suppose). How much do I need and how is it best implemented. I will be using a table/miter/circular saw and router fairly regularly.
I think I found this dc unit for 150 used locally (say its a 2hp grizzly with 2 inlets)
http://grizzly.com/products/2-HP-Canister-Dust-Collector/G0548
I saw this one on HF
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94029
is this unit good?
I need some advice on the application of a dust collection system.
Would a simple shop-vac setup suffice?

Bart Leetch
02-21-2008, 11:37 PM
The Grizzly is 220 volt if you have the power to run it I would get it. The HF is good but not quite as good as the Grizzly unit. With the Grizzly you should be good to go as your shop grows.

Lance Norris
02-22-2008, 1:29 AM
If its really a Grizzly G0548 and its only $150, go get it as fast as you can before someone beats you to it. I have that dust collector and its excellent. Whatever you buy, make sure it filters to 1 micron.

Ed Gibbons
02-22-2008, 6:57 AM
I bought into the importance of clean air in the shop. Consequently, I invested in the Oneida 2HP Commercial Cyclone. It does a good job. Grizzly has come out with some copies at a lower cost. The problem I had with the Griz was they were too big for my basement shop. I definitely recommend dust collection. After a day in the shop, I can now enjoy the next day without coughing. Do your research because theere are many more options out there now. Even Oneida has come out with a less expensive cyclone. I was glad I spent the extra money for the powerful Commercial. When it comes to tools, the only regrets I have had is when I went "cheap." Good luck.

John Bouthiette
02-22-2008, 8:49 AM
Does anyone have any experience with Cincinatti Fans dust collection systems? I too am looking at adding a portable system to my basement workshop.

Thanks

-

Prashun Patel
02-22-2008, 9:08 AM
Cyclones are nice, but the single stages will suffice. Remember to account for the price of hoses and straps.
Get a 1micron filter bag. $150 is a steal IF a) comes with 1 micron bag and b) you have the voltage to run it.

However, the circ saw, mitersaw and router might all work fairly well with a beefy shopvac and a 2 1/2" hose. The shop vacs are designed for suction at a defined point (which the circ saw and router can be tamed into).

You should retrofit yr circ saw to have a dust port. Bosch makes a dust chute for its circ saws that you can buy from Eurekazone. They have instructions for retro-ing it to your saw, and for making a dust guard for the front of the saw so it directs dust to the chute. It works well for me.

For yr router, if it's not already mounted in an enclosed cabinet, you shld make/buy one so dust is contained. There are oodles of fence-mounted dust ports that'll direct the rest into yr sucker of choice.

The miter saw is hard to tame, but since the cuts are quick, the dust is (IMHO) minimal. A better solution than using the factory dust port is to get a big-gulp dust port and mount it behind the saw to catch a lot of spray. It'll work best with a 4" hose and a dc, but you can get by w a shopvac.

The only tool (you have) that really does require a full dc is the tsaw. I've found that to work BEST when the dc is connected to the 4" port at the bottom, and the shopvac is connected to the over-blade dust guard or in front of it.

The shopvac is so versatile for other things, I'd seriously consider investing in one.

Kyle Costlow
02-22-2008, 9:23 AM
I am probably being optimistic, it could also be this model
http://grizzly.com/products/2-HP-Dust-Collector-w-2-5-Micron-Bag/G1029Z
I haven't heard back from the seller yet, but I think either one seems like a good deal.
My only issue would be I don't currently have a 220v outlet. How much work is it to set one up. The breaker box is right next to my tools, I have some experience wiring outlets and lighting, but not circuits or that sort of thing.

Prashun Patel
02-22-2008, 10:44 AM
Wiring a new homerun isn't hard, but it is a little scary. The safe way to do this is to wire from yr outlet(s) back to the box, then to trip the main, then to make up the connection to a new breaker, then to install the the new breaker. NOT ADVISING: I've seen many an electrician wire up the circuit to a new breaker, and then just 'pop' the breaker into the live bus (assuming it's D type). I've also seen them pop it out this way. This eliminates having to cut main power. However, for the uninitiated, it's scary as all get out.

But please don't go by a forum post when getting electrical advice. You shld really do yr homework on that.

If yr gonna wire for 220v anyway, you might see if yr saw can be rewired for 220v. Many think it's much better for the tool.