PDA

View Full Version : Log sealing question

Brent Pauba
02-21-2008, 9:52 PM
I recently obtained my first stack of free wood! As i was painting the cut-ends of the logs I came up with a question for you guys. I have read that when sealing ends of logs you need to also seal about 2 inches up from the cut-face, is this true when they are full logs? Meaning I would paint about two inches of the bark? I hope I have explained my problem enough for you to help me come up with a solution!

Brent

Scott Hubl
02-21-2008, 10:03 PM
Freshly cut logs (Wet/Green) I would just coat the ends thickly. I use the wax emulsion stuff from either Rockler or Woodcraft.

If I prep the logs meaning cut them up with my chainsaw and or bandsaw, I then also coat back about 2 inches.

Say I cut a log into 3"x3" or 4"x4" blanks for future lidded boxes , I would coat the endgrain and also about 2inches around the sides.

Brent Pauba
02-21-2008, 10:12 PM
Alright, cool thats what I thought was right, thanks alot, I am off to paint the second coats :).

Paul Downes
02-21-2008, 11:13 PM
I coat the ends of logs with Anchor seal and also coat the entire bowl blank with the same. It is made specifically for end grain sealing and works very well. I was warned not to use paint because it doesn't seal as well. Although many people use paint, (and I suppose it works O.K.) it does retard moisture loss but is not a complete seal.

I hate to lose some bowl blanks to checking. For instance, I got some premium birdseye maple butt pieces recently and their value is worth taking every effort to seal properly.

Bernie Weishapl
02-21-2008, 11:37 PM
I have used latex paint since I started turning. It seals as well as anything. I have some blanks almost 2 yrs old with 2 coats of paint and no checking or cracks of any kinds. The key is 2 coats. I now use anchorseal but when out it is back to the latex paint.

Brent Pauba
02-22-2008, 6:44 PM
I have used latex paint since I started turning. It seals as well as anything. I have some blanks almost 2 yrs old with 2 coats of paint and no checking or cracks of any kinds. The key is 2 coats. I now use anchorseal but when out it is back to the latex paint.

Yeah, i used two coats of latex, but my newb mistake was not getting the paint on fast enough! The pith has started cracking on my two larger logs, but ergh, im not worried, i learned something new!