PDA

View Full Version : Converting a Rabbit user interface

Richard Rumancik
02-21-2008, 8:46 PM
This may be of interest to those who have Rabbit lasers and are unsatisfied with the user interface. I came across this on another site and thought I'd pass it along. Solustan is developing a software interface to drive these lasers. Solustan does not list prices on their website but I found a similar Linkmotion product at around $1300. (Contact them for actual pricing info.) At that price it is not inexpensive, but still may be of interest to some users. I don't have any direct experience with Solustan's products. I do know they started off with products that allowed older stand-alone engravers to be upgraded to a PC interface. Here's the info:

We will be releasing a version of our LinkMotion 32 bit driver to generate compatible file structure for the Leetro 6515 laser controller manufactured by Leetro of China. We believe the driver will also be compatible with the controller board MPC-05 of the same manufacturer. These controller boards are used by a Chinese laser machine manufacturer named HXLaser, also known as Rabbit laser machines. We understand other Chinese laser manufacturers also use the same controllers. It will allow users to design jobs in many popular programs like Corel Draw and simply print the jobs to the laser machine connected on USB port. It will process both raster as well as vector work.

(snip)

Now, it is possible for a user to acquire a Chinese machine and be able to produce raster or vector work, in inches or millimeters, use programs like Corel Draw, read instructions in English, get support on the software when needed, and control the power as a function of XY speed. The corners will not burn when corners are cut.

Dhiren Shah, Dir., Operations
Solustan, Inc.
PH: 781-449-7666
www.Solustan.com
www.LinkMotion.com (http://www.LinkMotion.com)

Tom Winters
02-22-2008, 12:06 AM
To Richard and to whom all it may concern;

What Richard has read about the software set to release from the company Solustan is true. There has been a collaboration of efforts from Frank Fang of Rabbit Laser, Dhiran of Solustan Inc., and my company The-Laser's Edge L.L.C working behind the scenes to create a fully functional driver for chinese laser engravers. This new software is in the final stage of development. We are currently testing the compatibility between different graphic softwares and the machines, and we are making sure that all of the features of the software work properly. The need for all instructions to be written in plain english , the ability to use advanced output options, the ability to shy away from converting metric into inches, and the need to have American support for chinese engraving systems have been long over due. Thus far my company has provided these laser engravers with the support needed, and asked for. This was simply not good enough for us. That is why The-Laser's Edge L.L.C. provided the funding for this software, and helped set up all legal matters that needed to be addressed to make this vision a reality. The-Laser's Edge L.L.C. will be the exclusive distributor of this sofware in the United States and Canada. This new linkmotion software does not have an exact release date, nor does it have a price tag yet. For those who have an interest in this new interface, more information on the exact functionality, pricing, and release date will all be brought to your attention soon. We will be posting a special section on our website that will display all information about the software, as well as ordering details. If there are questions that anyone may have, feel free to cotact Dean Novakowski, or myself. Our website and contact information can be found through sawmillcreek.

Mike Null
02-22-2008, 5:04 AM
The preceding response may be viewed by some as self promoting and not in keeping with the TOS of Sawmill Creek. The issues raised here are important to those who own or are considering the purchase of such equipment and provide another resource on which to call for help.

So, at least in one moderator's view, the post is relevant and helpful to forum members. I have no interest, financial or otherwise, in The Laser's Edge, L.L.C.

Brian Robison
02-22-2008, 8:13 AM
Mike,
I think you made the right call. The Rabbit laser folks will need this information, and that's what the forums are all about.

Tom Winters
02-22-2008, 11:38 AM
I did not mean for my previous comment to be taken out of text. There is just a lot about this new interface that is still yet to be determined. The release of the information provided by Richard was a bit premature. Yes, this is a product that we will have, but it was not a product that we would have been posting on the creek due to us not wanting to self promote. Information about the software is going to be more readily available from us, as opposed to Solustan Inc. This is why I wrote my company's name for someone to contact. I again apologize about the how my remarks could have been taken, and would change them if need be. I addressed the issue in a manner that I saw most fit.

Mike Null
02-22-2008, 1:48 PM
Tom and all,

We are having some discussion among moderators regarding this thread. We do not have consensus. All feel that the information is relevant and important but some are concerned about the fact that it is not market ready and there is no fixed date for that. Also, that there is no pricing available and further that some measure of self promotion is involved.

There is also a concern that by allowing this thread we are not being fair to other laser manufacturers.

It is a bit of a dilemma but at least you know that we are not arbitrary in our decision making on such matters.

James Stokes
02-22-2008, 2:30 PM
I think Tom's post is appropriate for the thread. He did not start the thread someone else did. He provided relevant info for it.

Dan Hintz
02-23-2008, 8:43 AM
Kind of like trying to push the toothpaste back in the tube, but how about if we simply edit the post to remove a direct mention of his company and make the post more generic until such time that the product is available?

I'm interested in such a driver, as long as the $1,300 cost mentioned in a previous post doesn't come to pass (for that price, I'll replace all of the electronics with something I know to reliably work with standard software, has a warranty, and still have dough left over for coffee and donuts). That said, I have no interest in becoming a test mule for beta software that cost me full price (hello, Microsoft!).

Richard Rumancik
02-23-2008, 10:53 AM
The price I mentioned was not actually quoted by anyone so please take it with a grain of salt. It was for a different product which might not be a good reference point. When it comes to software, the price can be very elastic.

Dan, you are suggesting that you have another solution in mind. Can you say what it is? I don't know of a lot of options which would simulate the system used by conventional laser engravers eg Corel ->driver->laser. If one were doing vector cutting only, it may be possible to come up with a system such as Corel ->dxf ->gcode ->machine controller -> laser or Corel ->CAM software ->gcode -> machine controller ->laser. But use of gcode would be unusual for raster applications. And this path would not be inexpensive either. Let us know what solution you are visualizing . . .

Dean Novakowski
02-23-2008, 1:58 PM
Here's an update on the software. Tom and I have further discussed with Linkmotion concerning the release date and price of this new interface because of the prematurity of this thread. The software is set to release on march 31st 2008. The price range is set at approx. $799. I hope this will clear up some of the confusion.

Application compatibility with LinkMotion:

1. MaxMotion
2. AutoCAD version 14 and higher
3. Corel Draw version 9 and higher
4. DolphinCAD specially designed version for LinkMotion
5. Rhino 4.0
6. Adobe Illustrator
7. FlexiExpert
8. IntelliCAD (AcceliCAD)
9. EngraveLab / SignLab version 6.0 and higher
10. FreeHand
11. BarTender (Raster only)
12. Microsoft Word (Raster only)
13. PhotoShop (Raster only)
14. Corel Paint (Raster only)
15. Gerber's ArtPath

This software will work with other chinese made machines that use the same motion card.

Levi Chanowitz
12-13-2008, 9:57 PM
what is happening with the software?

pete hagan
12-14-2008, 9:31 AM
I purchased the linkmotion software about a month ago and haven't installed it yet. I will be putting another computer together later this week and will install it then. I'll give everyone a report on how well it works.

Pete

Tom Winters
12-14-2008, 10:27 AM
Pete,

I will be interested in hearing about your experience with the linkmotion software. My company was working with Solustan to develop that driver system that you just purchased. Our collaboration has since been cancelled due to an insufficient amount of features that were going to be on the final version of Solustan's driver interface, and the project was cancelld due to other factors as well. With my understanding of the driver interface Solustan has created, the laser operator will not be able to perform vector and raster jobs at once on the same job, speed and power variances are not up to snuff, many features that an advanced user of Laser Cut 5.0 or 5.1 can utilize are not even going to be available on Solustan's driver interface, and the price tag that Solustan has placed on the driver interface is extremely high for such a driver interface. If anyone would like to know more about this driver interface, feel free to contact me.

Levi Chanowitz
12-14-2008, 3:44 PM
I would appreciate if you can give us some workarounds and shortcuts so we could become "advanced users"

I wonder if there is a way in lasercut to raster and vector at the same time.
I have trouble with rastering small details on my chinese laser
what is the best way to do shaded rastering.
I work in Corel draw x3

joe daley
12-23-2008, 3:56 PM
To Richard and to whom all it may concern;

What Richard has read about the software set to release from the company Solustan is true. There has been a collaboration of efforts from Frank Fang of Rabbit Laser, Dhiran of Solustan Inc., and my company The-Laser's Edge L.L.C working behind the scenes to create a fully functional driver for chinese laser engravers. This new software is in the final stage of development. We are currently testing the compatibility between different graphic softwares and the machines, and we are making sure that all of the features of the software work properly. The need for all instructions to be written in plain english , the ability to use advanced output options, the ability to shy away from converting metric into inches, and the need to have American support for chinese engraving systems have been long over due. Thus far my company has provided these laser engravers with the support needed, and asked for. This was simply not good enough for us. That is why The-Laser's Edge L.L.C. provided the funding for this software, and helped set up all legal matters that needed to be addressed to make this vision a reality. The-Laser's Edge L.L.C. will be the exclusive distributor of this sofware in the United States and Canada. This new linkmotion software does not have an exact release date, nor does it have a price tag yet. For those who have an interest in this new interface, more information on the exact functionality, pricing, and release date will all be brought to your attention soon. We will be posting a special section on our website that will display all information about the software, as well as ordering details. If there are questions that anyone may have, feel free to cotact Dean Novakowski, or myself. Our website and contact information can be found through sawmillcreek.

As a new Rabbit laser dealer I read this post with the thought
" long overdue"..

All Tom is doing is bringing valuable information to those who either own a China laser OR are contemplating buying one.

While the post MAY for the purists step outside guidelines the intent of the post wasnt self promotion but rather bring long deserved information to the folks who come here for just that reason- help information and support.

I am really glad he took the initiative to make an affordable product better- I would have been glad if ANYONE did this but hats off Tom- I look forward to this being available as soon as possible.

I am wondering if a windows based driver with cross platform capability is possible- We run Flexisign here and loved it with the Epilog Laser- now that our functioning unit is a Rabbit 6090 SE the learning curve has been an annoyance at best- and it would be great to be able to use flexi, AI, etc and burn via a windows driver using any of the above programs rather then use lasercut5.1 or whatever the interface is for the Rabbit machines.
Dont get me wrong- the packaged software works fine- but after using the Epilog and Flexi- I am spoiled.

Keep us posted when this is available-

Joe

joe daley
12-24-2008, 8:24 AM
Trying to get some input on whose using coreldraw and/or lasercut5.1
After reading the software manual- its clear alot needs to be rewritten-
we will be rewriting our manuals for the Rabbit line we carry but in the meantime we are wondering if we can ask for input from Rabbit users as far as what settings they use- if they convert ALL files to a one bit BMP- do they import AI files without difficulty.... any and all information will be greatly appreciated

THanks
Joe

will bohn
12-24-2008, 9:07 AM
:mad:
OK guys I have been watching this thread and feel it is time to say what I know about the Link Motion Software.

I purchased a Emission Tech Laser it came with the link motion software / driver. After many calls & e-mails to Robert the lasers mfg and Solustan speaking with Dhiren Shah I still have issues with the software. The laser mfg blames Solustan and Solustan blames the laser mfg.

In fact they no longer do business together. The laser mfg has gone a different route for his driver soft ware. Which by the way is another 3500.00 upgrade.

Now I know lasers and I do feel both parties are to blame but as a end user and customer Solustan has fell short on customer service this software was approx $1200.00 and did not control the laser as it should. This went as far as being caught up in both parties pissing match e-mails. Where one would blame the other.

Bottom line I have a 60w 23k laser that is worthless and no help from Solustan or Emission Tech.

So in closing I will say do your homework see the machine run with Link Motion and try to vector cut raster and make sure your color settings for power work and there is repeatability cutting or engraving your files before you put your hard earned money on the line.

I wish I had done so.

Will Bohn

A very unhappy Link Motion & Emission Tech Laser owner.