PDA

View Full Version : Another Domino question...Can you use it without the festool vac?

Jason Morgan
02-21-2008, 8:32 PM
$750 for the tool and another $350 or more for the vac. I'm not saying its not worth it, but ouch! If I could run it with a standard shop vac (or no vac at all) that would take out some of the sting. I can sweep up a LOT of shavings for $350. However, if a vac is required (for chip clearing etc.) I would like to hear if anyone uses a standard shop vac.

Steven J Corpstein
02-21-2008, 9:18 PM
I don't think the vac has to be a Festool, but I wouldn't want to use mine without some kind of vac attached.

Gary Keedwell
02-21-2008, 9:34 PM
$750 for the tool and another $350 or more for the vac. I'm not saying its not worth it, but ouch! If I could run it with a standard shop vac (or no vac at all) that would take out some of the sting. I can sweep up a LOT of shavings for $350. However, if a vac is required (for chip clearing etc.) I would like to hear if anyone uses a standard shop vac.
$750?? If I remember correctly , it is more like $1000 with all the biscuits and stuff.
Gary

Steve Roxberg
02-21-2008, 10:17 PM
$750 is the machine only, you do not have to purchase the $250 dollar kit. You will need to purchase some domino's.

You need a vacuum but it does not have to be Festool. You may want a Festool hose to get a good firm connection to the unit, but they can be had for $50.

Steven Wilson
02-21-2008, 11:56 PM
Yep, you don't need the Festool Vac but you might as well get one unless you have a good, quiet shop vac (like a Fein) already. The Festool vac is quite good.

Rick de Roque
02-22-2008, 12:15 AM
You don't need a festool vac. I have mine hooked up to a shop vac but I put a HEPA filter on it. It works well. I use hearing protection when ever I sand so I don't hear the screaming coming from the shop vac. The festool is better but I already had the shop vac and the HEPA ran $20. Just my $.02

Rick

Henk Marais
02-22-2008, 1:15 AM
Last Saturday I used my domino without the vac (have one but was to lazy to set it up for 6 holes), It is fine while the machine is running but when you move it to the next position, you mess fine sawdust on the spot where you are placing the sole of the machine and you can not set it up properly.

I therefore strongly suggest some kind of vac but it does not have to be a Festool.

The issue of health is also a factor, that machine makes a lot of very fine dust.

Joe Mioux
02-22-2008, 5:42 AM
Earlier this year, I purchased the Domino, the accessory kit and a CT33. While I like the CT33, the cost of the bags are expensive. Therefore, I am hesitant to use the Festool vac as a general purpose vac for cleaning up stuff off the floor and work bench.

Now the Fein appears to be just that a good vac that could be used for dust extraction AND general shop clean-up, without a dust bag. Am I correct with the Fein observation?

I do have an inexpensive Shop vac, that is as quiet or almost as quiet as the Festool and yes a shop vac would work well with the Domino.

Joe

Tony Joyce
02-22-2008, 8:55 AM
Festool does not recommend using the Domino without some type vacuum. More than likely your mortises will not be as accurate without chip extraction and you run the risk of premature bit breakage.

Tony

Steve Roxberg
02-22-2008, 8:58 AM
Earlier this year, I purchased the Domino, the accessory kit and a CT33. While I like the CT33, the cost of the bags are expensive. Therefore, I am hesitant to use the Festool vac as a general purpose vac for cleaning up stuff off the floor and work bench.

Now the Fein appears to be just that a good vac that could be used for dust extraction AND general shop clean-up, without a dust bag. Am I correct with the Fein observation?

I do have an inexpensive Shop vac, that is as quiet or almost as quiet as the Festool and yes a shop vac would work well with the Domino.

Joe

I own both a Festool CT22 and a Fein Turbo II. I use the Turbo II for cleanup and the Festool when hooking up tools only.

If I had to keep only one vac it would be the Fein over the Festool.

Wade Lippman
02-22-2008, 10:22 AM
Any vacuum will be fine. A hose that fits a PC sander or biscuit cutter will also fit the domino; though I did buy a Festool hose end because it also fit my T55 and Rigid 6" sanders. (sadly, you also have to buy Festool accessories because standard shop vac don't fit it.)

FWIW, my wife made me get rid of my Festool vacuum. She said it sent a high pitched whine throughout the house and was completely unbearable. Having lost my high frequency hearing, I didn't know what she was talking about. Fortunately I bought it used and sold it for a profit, so I don't have to resent her... (yes, I did disclose the "flaw" in my description.)

Mike Spanbauer
02-22-2008, 11:46 AM

Joe

Hi Joe,

The bags are not required for the unit, just nice to have. It will function just as well without them as with, just makes cleanup a bit more challenging is all.

I agree that they aren't cheap (I own the 33 too) but I also don't go through them often enough to notice as I have a Rigid vac monster (louder than a jet engine) for general cleanup.

mike

Bob Swenson
02-22-2008, 12:41 PM
As some Creekers know we are Festool freaks. Yes, we run the Domino with the Festool vac., the sanders, the saws, and of course the routers. We only have one of those Giraffe things, very handy, run the other vac with out one. The vacs go on when you pull the trigger. Try it – you will like it
Bob ;)

Erik Christensen
02-22-2008, 1:59 PM
I too was not thrilled with the cost of the Festool bags so I got one of the mini-cyclones from clearvue which sits on a 5 gal paint bucket on top of the Festool vac. Yes I lost a handy place to put tools between usees but I have dumped the bucket dozens of times and I am still using the bag that came with the vac - when i shake it it seems empty.

I can post a few pics if you like.

John Stevens
02-22-2008, 2:46 PM
...so I got one of the mini-cyclones from clearvue which sits on a 5 gal paint bucket on top of the Festool vac. I can post a few pics if you like.

Erik, I'd appreciate it if you'd post a pic of two of your setup. Many thanks in advance. I've been on the fence about the mini-cyclone because I'm unsure if there's a convenient way to set it up.

Regards,

John

Mark Carlson
02-22-2008, 4:45 PM
I also hooked up a clearvue cv06 mini cyclone to my Festool CT22. Nothing ends up in the bag but goes into the fiber drum instead. I shouldn't have to buy another bag.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=73618&d=1192490891

Mike Spanbauer
02-22-2008, 5:18 PM
Mark, is there a reason you haven't gone with a 2" hose from the Festool to the cyclone? Would seem like it would offer greater performance than the standard line on the Festool.

mike

Mark Carlson
02-22-2008, 5:49 PM
Mike,

The short length of orange hose is about 2inches. It goes from the input of the vac to the cyclone. I usually attach the smaller festool hose (1in?) from the cyclone to the tool. This is the hose that most Festools use other than the planer. I hope this answers your question.

~mark

Mike Spanbauer
02-22-2008, 6:09 PM
Ah, nvm :) You do have it hooked up as I would hope. Nvm

mike

Erik Christensen
02-23-2008, 9:41 PM
Pretty basic setup – cut a piece of ½” ply to fit the square recess on top of the vac (for the systainers)- screwed the bottom of a 5 gal paint bucket to the ply and sealed with caulk. Ran a bead of caulk around the top of the bucket and put some high quality pipe insulation over the lip – used duct tape on the seam. Let the caulk dry – turned the bucket upside down and used as a template to cut a circle in another scrap piece of 1/2” ply – cut a hole in the top for the cyclone inlet, screwed a strip of sheet metal around the edge to keep in on the bucket and hold the pipe insulation in place and then a layer of duct tape to keep from cutting myself when dumping the bucket. Everything held in place with some bungee cords. Works great