PDA

View Full Version : Just bought my bandsaw! Have a question

Jason Scott
02-21-2008, 6:29 PM
Hey guys,

So I made a deal with the used Jet Deluxe 14" with riser and I am picking it up tomorrow. Question is, can I put this in the back of an suv on its side, or does it need to remain upright in a trailer? Please let me know, I have to find a trailer if it can not be laid on its side,

Thanks,

Jason

Gordon Harner
02-21-2008, 6:37 PM
Great!
If you have a full size SUV like an explorer it might just fit if you put it in on the diagonal. If it were me, even if I had to separate it at the base I would rather haul it lying down. BS' are top heavy an d if hauled upright would need good strapping to keep stable.

I hope my thots help.

Doug Shepard
02-21-2008, 6:40 PM
Side is fine. If you're trying to fit it all inside, 4 nuts or bolts hold the saw to the cabinet, plus removing the belt put it into roughly the same pieces that they're shipped from the factory.

Jude Tuliszewski
02-21-2008, 6:42 PM
It will be fine on it's back (instead of on it's side). Put cardboard under the cast iron part to give it a little cusion and you should be good to go.

Peter Quinn
02-21-2008, 7:24 PM
Much easier to move in two or three pieces, plus you'll get to experience the joy of reassembly. I'd lay it down even if you had a trailer. Congrats on your purchase, you wont be sorry. Nice machine.

Robert Conner
02-21-2008, 9:44 PM
I picked mine up in my car. The upper wheel assembly and casting comes off with 1 bolt, the lower casting and wheel 4 bolts. You then have 3 easily managed components. Naturally the table, blade and belt have to come off first, very easy to do. I would not lay it down for fear of scratches or dents. Bring some zip lock bags.
Congrats great Saw.
Robert

Rod Upfold
02-21-2008, 10:41 PM
I always heard or read that a bandsaw should be laid down in it's back.

Rod

Chris Bruno
02-22-2008, 12:34 AM
When I bought my Rigid 14" bandsaw, I laid it down in the back of the Suburban and it was fine. I did take off the fence, though, so that the weight wouldn't be resting on it, as its parts were attached with smaller screws. Just make sure the weight is resting on beefy stuff and yuo'll have no trouble.

-Chris

Ed Beers
02-22-2008, 1:10 AM
If you have any doubts about handling it, I would split it at the riser. It will be lighter and much less top heavy. If you are trying to put it in an suv I would also split it from the base if it is easy. I'm not sure if it is for this saw.

For the newer style steel ones, I would put it on its back. I actually dropped my LT18 on it's back when unloading it from my truck. No harm done but a cast iron saw would probably have broken.

Greg Cole
02-22-2008, 9:22 AM
Pretty mych what they all said, I've moved my 2 different Grizz 17" saws on their back (while in the crate still) in my truck, no worries.
BTW, congrats.... a BS opens many new doors.

Greg

Rob Will
02-22-2008, 9:43 AM
Remove the table before moving any bandsaw.

Rob