PDA

View Full Version : How far should the router table be...

keith ouellette
02-21-2008, 6:17 PM
from the center of the bit? Right now as I have it planned I have about 15". Is that enough.
I made a mistake planning out my router/table saw cabinet so I have to re cut a few pieces and could change this if it would be better.

Greg Hines, MD
02-21-2008, 6:40 PM
My own is in the center of my table, about that distance from the front edge. I know that some people prefer to have it offset to the front, to make it easier to adjust the router, which makes a lot of sense. Their theory is that if you want to mill a larger piece, you then have to reverse the fence and work from the back of the table, but don't think that that happens that often. For my own table, I like having it in the middle, because I get good support even with wide boards, jointing and such, as well as when using it freehand and with a starter pin.

Doc

keith ouellette
02-21-2008, 7:32 PM
My own is in the center of my table, about that distance from the front edge. I know that some people prefer to have it offset to the front, to make it easier to adjust the router, which makes a lot of sense. Their theory is that if you want to mill a larger piece, you then have to reverse the fence and work from the back of the table, but don't think that that happens that often. For my own table, I like having it in the middle, because I get good support even with wide boards, jointing and such, as well as when using it freehand and with a starter pin.

Doc

Could you tell me the approximate number of inches you have from the router bit to the edge of the table?

Ben Cadotte
02-21-2008, 7:54 PM
I put mine at 16". It really a matter of what your going to do, and what you preffer. The reasoning I did this was so I could put a 2 t-track's and a seperate miter slot without having them too close (T, miter, T). I figured that 16" is not too far from the edge to do smaller width or vertical cuts. And wide enough that wider panels are still supported good.

Dick Bringhurst
02-21-2008, 7:56 PM
My router table is in the right extension of the TS. It's 16" from the front edge, same as the center of the saw blade (arbor). Any really long material going thru the router is supported with an outfeed roller. Dick B.