PDA

View Full Version : Buffing

Tom Godley
02-21-2008, 5:55 PM
As I get my shop up and running again - one of the things I made many years ago was a buffing "station". Made with two cloth wheels from different thickness cotton cloth and two different buffing compounds - one white and one gray -- they are like a wax bricks. They are connected to an arbor on an upright stand run by a v-belt and motor

I bought it at a car show to buff out bright work on old cars - I used to rebuild old cars years ago as a hobby -- it works great for all kinds of stuff -- great on watch crystals.

Anyway - I also had other wheels (long gone) that I would use for buffing out small wood objects..

I was wondering if there was a good place to buy this stuff - the wood-turning catalogs I just received have a limited selection.

Joe Chritz
02-21-2008, 7:06 PM
Check for knife building supply houses.

Koval knives has a lot of stuff, but a bit pricey sometimes. For just grabbing a couple wheels it isn't to bad. Its been a few years since I purchase any knife building stuff, it has gotten stuck on back burner to other projects.

http://www.jantzsupply.com/cartease/

Apparently Jantz supply is part of Koval now or vice versa.

Joe

Jim Becker
02-21-2008, 8:34 PM
Grizzly has a lot of buffing supplies on their site and in their catalog...buffing is a staple of the luthery world and Griz caters to that specialty a bit given Shiraz's own work in building guitars, etc.