03-11-2004, 8:07 PM
I know I'm asking for it on this one but I'll pose the question anyway and
apologize to those offended by the answers in advance. :D

What's the best way to protect/lubricate an old vise? :eek:

Here is the vise in question.

Marc Hills
03-12-2004, 7:13 AM
"What's the best way to protect/lubricate an old vise? "

Ben Knebel lubricates his with a single malt scotch, the older the better. Dave Anderson would probably suggest a medium dry white wine, a savingon blanc, I should think, possibly a chardinay.

Myself, a good dark stout, Guiness or Murphy's. Not the sap that passes for it in North America, but the kind they serve in Eire, where you can write your initial in the head and it's still legible when you're ready for another round and foam is sitting at the bottom of your pint glass.

Know that those threads are going to be a magnet for saw dust. I suggest some sort of dry lube, otherwise a thinner lubicant like 3 and 1 and be prepared to clean out the threads with a stiff brush every once in a while.

Hope this helps.

Tyler Howell
03-12-2004, 7:26 AM
"What's the best way to protect/lubricate an old vise? "

Ben Knebel lubricates his with a single malt scotch, the older the better. Dave Anderson would probably suggest a medium dry white wine, a savingon blanc, I should think, possibly a chardinay.

Myself, a good dark stout, Guiness or Murphy's. Not the sap that passes for it in North America, but the kind they serve in Eire, where you can write your initial in the head and it's still legible when you're ready for another round and foam is sitting at the bottom of your pint glass.

Know that those threads are going to be a magnet for saw dust. I suggest some sort of dry lube, otherwise a thinner lubicant like 3 and 1 and be prepared to clean out the threads with a stiff brush every once in a while.

Hope this helps.
Marc LMAO:D

Alan Turner
03-12-2004, 9:02 AM
I have an older No. 2 Emmert, and use a bit, just a bit, of Vasoline pet. jelly. Run it out all the way, put a bit on the threads, and then run it in. Maybe once a year or so, in a dampish basement.
Alan

Dave Anderson NH
03-12-2004, 9:09 AM
I don't normally lubricate my vise, but I do lubricate my vices. Seriously though, I don't lubricate the vise on my bench because it collects junk. I find that a good layer of two of Top Cote sprayed on and buffed up are all that is needed. The Top Cote is plenty slick and it doesn't attract shavings, dust, and other miscellaneous undesirable detritus.

Danny Jennings
03-12-2004, 3:56 PM
as I thought it was going to be.

Marc and Dave: being from Texas I am partial to margaritas for liquid lube and Tex-Mex for a more solid lubricant for my "vices". They work very well together. :D

Alan: I had forgotten all about Vaseline..never even occurred to me. But I will consider that.

I had read somerwhere, sometime about using paraffin wax for lubricating the threads on table saw angle/blade height screws as it wasn't supposed to attract as much dust,etc. I had thought about using that...what do you guys think. I think I would have to order the Top Kote as I haven't seen it in the local stores (of course, I wasn't looking for it either). :)

Thanks for the replies. I love this place.

James Carmichael
03-12-2004, 4:53 PM
What's the best way to protect/lubricate an old vise? :eek:

Don't tell your wife?

Although Scottish in ancestry, I prefer Irish, Bushmill's, Jameson's, etc.

Switching the subject from vice to vise, what are some of the better old one's to look for?