PDA

View Full Version : Life Changes Quickly .....

Ken Wright
03-06-2003, 5:11 PM
Yesterday, as a result of a colonoscopy, LOML for 39 years, Sandra, was diagnosed with colon cancer. there were no prior warning signs, no symptoms .... nothing other than a routine sigmoidoscope as a part of her annual mammogram, etc. the doc had been after her to have that for 3 years .. she didn't want to do that and she would schedule... cancel... schedule ... cancel and finally i insisted that she get it ...... the sigmoidscope disclosed two small rather innocuous polyps and the colonoscopy yesterday morning was to remove those. Further exploration by the dr. revealed the bad news.

she had a catscan yesterday and it was a long wait until this morning to learn that apparently the cancer is contained within the colon and can be removed surgically. that was good news and i hope it holds ... the tumor had closed her colon about 90% ... its amazing that she had no symptoms or warning signs.

she is to see the surgeon next monday .... all i know at the moment ... if i didn'[t spell all these medical terms correctly ... forgive me ... remember i was a corporate exec'banker kinda guy.

/k

Jim Izat
03-06-2003, 5:16 PM
Ken I'm so sorry to hear about your lovely wife. I will keep you and your wife in my thoughts and prayers in the days and weeks to come.

Jim Izat

Ken Salisbury
03-06-2003, 5:21 PM
Sorry to hear the news. Give your wife my regards. I am also a cancer patient and have been for 3 years. You can beat that stuff so tell her to hang in there --- things will be fine.

p.s. I got your PM

Daniel Rabinovitz
03-06-2003, 5:29 PM
It's uncanny for me to be one the web this late in the afternoon. But the local TV channel was just having a segment about Colon cancer.
May your wife have all the blessings of the all the folks on the Sawmill Creek Forum and we will be thinking about your surgery and recovery in the days to come.
May G-D bless
Dan

Dave Avery
03-06-2003, 5:31 PM
Good luck Ken.... you and your wife will be in our thoughts and prayers. BTW, within the last 2 months I had 6 inches of my colon removed under emergency conditions. If your wife has any questions about the surgery or recovery, I'd me more than happy to help. Dave.

Dr. Zack Jennings
03-06-2003, 5:32 PM
My aunt had colon cancer 20 years ago. Had a colostomy and still plays golf almost everyday. Glad to hear it's contained. Keep a positive attitude. I think it's important. Please tell your wife, for me, that I think she needs to work on her golf game. It worked for Aunt "Duck". Oh yea... Aunt "Duck" just turned 81.

My dear sister Bitsy, age 61, just came home with news from her oncologist, yesterday. After Chemo and lumpectomy, she is cancer free. There are a lot of sucess stories out there.

Ian Barley
03-06-2003, 5:32 PM
My thoughts are with you and your wife - I have some family experience of this disease - I wish her well.

Doyle Alley
03-06-2003, 5:35 PM
Best wishes to the Mrs. Ken. If she is using Archibald hospital, I can tell you that she will get good service. For a small town hospital, it has got to be one of the best I've ever seen.

Dennis McDonaugh
03-06-2003, 5:35 PM
Ken, our family's thoughts will be with you and Sandra, best of luck.

bob lyon
03-06-2003, 5:47 PM
I amtruly sorry to haer of your wife's condition.May the good Lord help you.Your family will be in my prayers.BL

Randy Miller
03-06-2003, 5:54 PM
Our thoughts are with you and your wife.
Best of luck,
Randy

Tony Laros
03-06-2003, 5:58 PM
Ken, my Father-in-law had the same examination on Feb. 4th, same diagnosis, and had the operation on Feb 7th. His operation was a success, part of the colon that contained the cancer was removed, and we're 99% sure he's in the clear. You and Sandra stay positive, there are a lot of success stories out there, this can be beaten. We'll be thinking of you and hoping for the best.

Tony

Glenn Clabo
03-06-2003, 5:58 PM
Our thoughts and our prayers are with you and your family.

Jim Morrow
03-06-2003, 6:12 PM
Really sorry to hear about your wife. Do her a favor and get the book: It's not about the bike, by lance Armstrong. It really isn't about the bike, it's about the human spirit and dealing with cancer. I've had my own medical problems and that book was a great help to me.

Take care and good luck,
Jim

Chris McKimson
03-06-2003, 6:23 PM
Ken,

My thoughts and prayers are with you. My daughter had Hodgins a couple of years ago, I had heart surgery last year. It's amazing what these doctors can do and much how success the patients have.

Take care,

Chris

Halsey MCCombs
03-06-2003, 6:25 PM
My prayers are with you and your wife. Halsey

Dave Hammelef
03-06-2003, 6:49 PM
Our thoughts and our prayers are with you and your family.

Harvey Meyer
03-06-2003, 7:11 PM
Ken -
We're praying for y'all. Medical technology is amazing so think positive.
Harvey

Bill Grumbine
03-06-2003, 7:51 PM
Ken, I'll be sure to remember you both in my prayers.

Bill

Tony Falotico
03-06-2003, 8:04 PM
Ken & Sandra, Will have you both in our thoughts and prayers.
Tony.

Howard Barlow
03-06-2003, 8:21 PM
Ken, let Sandra know she is being prayed for, by many. Of course, you are too.

5 years ago my 75 year old dad was found with bladder cancer. He had his bladder removed and a new one made by a bowel re-section. He's been cancer free since.

Keith Outten
03-06-2003, 8:31 PM
Ken,

Know that my family and I will keep you and your wife in our prayers.

Bart Goldberg
03-06-2003, 8:33 PM
Ken, My thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife - God Bless.

Jason Roehl
03-06-2003, 8:35 PM
Peace be to you and especially your wife during this difficult time. Know that we along with many others here are keeping you in our prayers. Please keep us updated.

Jason

John Miliunas
03-06-2003, 8:42 PM
Ken, you and Sandra are in my prayers. Keep the faith...All will be good!

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
03-06-2003, 9:13 PM
from here also ... my aunt had the same surgery and came out wonderfully. She just went for her foloow up and she's been announced cancer free. Keep your chin up!

Von Bickley
03-06-2003, 9:18 PM
Ken,
My wife just saw one of her close friends today that was recently diagnosed with colon cancer. She took radiation & chemo prior to surgery and when she had the surgery, the cancer was already gone. They went ahead and removed a small amount of her colon to be on the safe side. She is doing fine. Prayers are answered and this thing can be beat. You and your wife will be in my prayers tonight.

Kevin Gerstenecker
03-06-2003, 9:25 PM
Ken, I am new here, but my family will remember you and your Wife in our thoughts and prayers. The Lord does great work, and he takes care of good people. After all, "Love wasn't put in your heart to stay.......Love isn't Love 'till you give it away". May God bless you both, I am sure there are brighter days ahead. The power of friends and prayer............what a truly wonderful thing!

Ron Jones near Indy
03-06-2003, 9:26 PM
Your family will be in my prayers. My dad had similiar surgery about 5 years ago. He is 82 and going strong now. I pray similiar success for your wife.

Tom Sweeney
03-06-2003, 9:32 PM
You & Sandra are in my prayers. As many have already testified - Prayers & medical science can beat this. Stay positive and have faith.

Your friends here on SMC are praying and rooting for you & Sandra.

Lee Schierer
03-06-2003, 9:38 PM
I know what you mean from direct personal experience with my wife and breast cancer. I know your life for the next few months will be hellish. Just remember you are there for each other and there will be good times and bad as you work through this. Just remember when you are really down, think of how she feels since she is going through all the treatements, you just get to watch. Hang in there, there are better days ahead.

4 years since our life changed and counting.

Phil Phelps
03-06-2003, 9:44 PM
I'm there in your corner. My thoughts and prayers, and a speedy recovery. Positive thoughts, Ken.

Lincoln Myers
03-06-2003, 9:47 PM
Our family will be praying for yours. Be strong and have faith.

Howard Norman
03-06-2003, 10:13 PM
Ken,
Cancer is still a terrible word to hear when you are the patient or a close family member. I had my bout with cancer 25 years ago and over came the problem. A positive attitude along with very good medical attention is what is needed to survive.

As others have said the medical profession has made good strides to improve the success rate with cancer patients over the years.

Best wishes to both of you.

Howard

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
03-06-2003, 10:16 PM
Hi,

My prayers and best wishes are with you both.

I guess because I can say I have been down your path, I am a person who was lucky to beat cancer, I can say take it a day at a time and you will get there...one day at a time...

Take care,
Jim

Gordie Anderson
03-06-2003, 10:25 PM
Ken,

Our prayers are with your family at this time. Prayer helps as I know from the experience of two heart surgeries last year. The medical field has come so far in the last couple years. Gordie

Bob Lasley
03-06-2003, 11:10 PM
Ken,

My thoughts and prayers will have you and Sandra in them. Cancer treatment has come along way, but a positive attitude on both your parts will go along ways.

We're pulling for you,
Bob

Bruce Page
03-06-2003, 11:18 PM
Ken,
My thoughts are with you and your wife. My sister had colon cancer and was able to beat it. Keep your spirits high and you both can beat it too.

Terry Hatfield
03-07-2003, 12:42 AM
Ken,

Our prayers are with you and your wife. I hope everything turns out well.

Terry

Ruby in NC
03-07-2003, 4:44 AM
in saying a prayer for you and Sandra.

Keeping both of you in our thoughts and prayers.

Regards,
Ruby

Mike Johnson
03-07-2003, 6:39 AM
Hello, Ken. So sorry to hear about the battle that you and Sandra have on your hands. Our thoughts are with you. I know you guys will join the ranks of the survivors, like so many of the earlier posts have reported. Just consider it like Jo Dee Mesina said, "...a battle lost but not the war."

Tim Spickler
03-07-2003, 6:43 AM
Your wife and you are both in my thoughts and prayers.

Ron McNeil
03-07-2003, 8:37 AM
Ken I am so sorry to hear about your wife, may she recover completely. My thoughts and prayers are with you both.

Rob Croke
03-07-2003, 8:37 AM
Ken, We are keeping you, Sandra and your family in our prayers.

Rob

Hal Peeler
03-07-2003, 8:39 AM
We'll surely keep your family in our prayers. Keep your head up. Attitude is important.
Hal

Gary Hern
03-07-2003, 8:41 AM
You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers

Gary Bindel
03-07-2003, 8:51 AM
Ken,
Sorry to hear of your wife's situation. Your family will be in our prayers.

Mark Kauder
03-07-2003, 9:22 AM
Keeping you in my thoughts.

Hang tough and keep a positive attitude.

I know I am 2 hours away, but if I can help, give a holler.

Mark

Jim Fuller
03-07-2003, 9:36 AM
But with your positive attitude I am sure she is getting marvelous support. Lucy and I will be thinking and praying for both of you.

Thomas Skaggs
03-07-2003, 9:51 AM
Ken,

Unfortunately this is the second person I am hearing about colon cancer this week. I am at least encouraged that Sandra's situation sounds treatable.

All the best to her in her fight. Hang in there!

Tommy

Mark Mazzo
03-07-2003, 10:22 AM
Ken,

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife. My dad had that same operation about 10 years ago and is today cancer free. He will be 83 next week. Tell your wife that it can be conquered!

-- Mark

Dan Bussiere
03-07-2003, 10:48 AM
With all the prayers offered from so many on this fine forum. I would like to add mine as well. If prayers are answered, she is in good hands. Also let's all pray for the doctors, etc, that will be working with her!
Dan

Randy Coggin
03-07-2003, 10:15 PM
Ken and Sandra
I know its hard to find anything good in this situation, but just think... the cancer was found early enough to be sucessfully treated; no metastases, apparently good prospects for recovery.
sometimes it helps to count your blessings even when it seems there aren't any. Look at from another direction..be thankful you forced the issue of getting examined. With so many prayers going up for you, y'all are in good hands

Roger Fitzsimonds
03-07-2003, 10:39 PM
Ken you and your wife and family are in our prayers.

Rob Sandow
03-07-2003, 11:08 PM
Ken,

I'm very sorry to hear about that. I truly hope everything works out alright.

Rob

Mike Maikowski
03-08-2003, 3:36 PM
Wow, just stumbled on this discussion and want to let everyone know that my prayers are with you. so
get what ever has to be done to correct it and be a happy camper.
I have to have the same test done on the 25th and am not sure why they want it. I do not have any problems but it may be the results of other test that I have had to get done in the last couple of months. Geesh I sure hope I pass it. Never had one done in the past and they say it's a piece of cake to do and everyone over 60 should have one done at least every two three years. I'm pushing 75 and will get it done. Mike

PeterTorresani
03-08-2003, 10:56 PM
Ken,
Sorry to hear about your wife. I hope all goes well, and you are back making dust soon.

Dennis Peacock
03-09-2003, 12:49 AM
Ken....Please tell your wife that I send my thoughts and prayers for you and for her during this time and tough time in your lives. Both of you will make it through.