PDA

View Full Version : Router Help

Dave Dye
02-21-2008, 1:26 PM
I have a Dewalt 618, two base router. Which base do you guys usually put in the router table, the fixed or the plunge?

Thanks for the help
Dave

keith ouellette
02-21-2008, 1:29 PM
I have a plunge router in my table because I have a router raiser attachment so I can make Height adjustments from above the table. I think most people use a plunge router in the table because its easier to adjust.

Travis Gauger
02-21-2008, 1:30 PM
I mount the fixed base. Use the plunge when using outside table.

Matthew Voss
02-21-2008, 1:33 PM
Ditto. I don't use a lift or a plate - just bolt the fixed base to the underside of the table, a-la Pat Warner:

http://patwarner.com/router_table.html

Greg Hines, MD
02-21-2008, 1:35 PM
I have the fixed base attached to the mounting plate for the table, because the height adjustment is above the table (PC 890) but even before this, I always used a fixed base on the table because the fixed base is more stable than a plunge base, and by not tying up the plunge base in a table, it allows you to use it for hand held jobs without having to unscrew it from your table.

Doc

tim harris
02-21-2008, 2:20 PM
Ditto also, I mounted the fixed, use plunge outside, mostly on large piece rabbets and dados. I have a bosch router so I think the mounted fixed base would be adjustable if I had lined up the pre-drilled holes in the Rousseau 3509 plate. By the way, can anyone describe the way to make your own precision template for a purchased plate with out buying one?

Greg Hines, MD
02-21-2008, 3:11 PM
I did not make a template, but instead used a pattern bit to rout a channel that is the depth of my mounting plate, then cut out the interior after the fact. That way, I did not need a template.

Doc