PDA

View Full Version : Nancy Said!!

Tyler Howell
02-21-2008, 12:43 PM
Nancy Said I had to do it!
Actually I've been counting down since the first trip to the ER with chest pains (stress:o).
Here goes.

10 more days to freedom

Greg Heppeard
02-21-2008, 1:00 PM
Tyler, Dude, What's up?

Hope you're doing ok.

Al Willits
02-21-2008, 1:04 PM
Mr. Tyler was told to proclaim his count down till retirement, seems he was modest and didn't want to do it...:D:D

He looked in pretty good shape at the gathering btw

Al

Ken Fitzgerald
02-21-2008, 1:10 PM
Congrats Tyler! I'm just a little envious!

Derek Tuchscherer
02-21-2008, 1:20 PM
Hmmm....my number doesn't look near as good as Tyler's

Approximately....6000!!!! :(

Might as well take a sick day or two Tyler! Congrats in case I forget in 10 working days! :D

Dave Verstraete
02-21-2008, 1:39 PM
Congrats Tyler

I think I have about 3500 left. :eek:

Belinda Barfield
02-21-2008, 1:59 PM
I'm assuming this had something to do with Nancy's T-shirt, :) the one she wore for the recent Creeker visit. For those of you who missed the thread the T-shirt read "SHE who must be obeyed."

Congrats! So, tell us your plans for all that free time. Maybe cook some chili and entertain a little bit?

Joe Mioux
02-21-2008, 2:02 PM
Go tyler Go!

I only have 11,680 days to go.

but then I don't plan on retiring until Im 80.

Jim Becker
02-21-2008, 2:27 PM
Wow...only 10 more. Kewel!! Let's see...that's the end of the month, eh?? :D

But you know what...you'll be busier than ever, Tyler. LOL

Greg Heppeard
02-21-2008, 2:38 PM
Retire??? Been there, done that....had to go back to work. Military retirement ain't cracked up to what retirement should be.

Congrats Tyler.

Bruce Page
02-21-2008, 2:42 PM
I am so jealous!
I only have 2081 days to go.:(

Nancy Laird
02-21-2008, 2:52 PM
Military retirement ain't cracked up to what retirement should be.

Depends on how long you spent in Uncle Sam's employ as to how good it is--28 years turned into "pretty darned good".

Tyler - I am GLAD to see that you finally got your act together and got this posted. I'm counting with you, my friend.

Nancy

Fred Voorhees
02-21-2008, 2:57 PM
Congrats Tyler! I'm just a little envious!

NOT ME!!! I'm in serious envyosity:D:D:D:D!!!!!! I started my retirement countdown at 12 years. I know, I know, isn't that pathetic? I am down to just a hair over five years before I can retire with full pension benefits and a nice annuity package and live life happily ever after in my wood shop on out on a boat somewhere fishing for whatever danged species of fish I choose to aim for. Congratulations Tyler, every one of us deserves to have an enjoyable retirement after working all of their lives.

Matthew Poeller
02-21-2008, 4:49 PM
Wow, all the day numbers got me thinking. How many days for me.

If I can retire at 58 (my goal), based on a 2000 hour work year I only have7250 work days to go.

My folks retired about 5 years ago and are right now in Florida and golf twice a day together during the winter months, I can only hope.

Congrats Tyler.

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-21-2008, 5:53 PM
WTG TYler. Just sad it took the pains to get you to be able to rest like the rest of us old cogers.

Welcome to retirement in 10!

Bruce

Glenn Clabo
02-21-2008, 6:10 PM
Mr. Howell,
Part of this whole retirement thing is knowing when to pull the trigger. You...clearly... know that it is time...and for you I wish...Fair winds and following seas.

Of course I demand...oh...I mean...I ask nicely...that you continue to provide your view of the world...and life...on us here on SMC.

Ron Jones near Indy
02-21-2008, 9:19 PM
Tyler,
I wish you a long and happy retirement! Would be nice to join you--in about 4 years. Enjoy!

Eddie Watkins
02-21-2008, 10:14 PM
Congratulations Tyler, who's going to run FAA now with both of us gone? I haven't missed it for a second. I just can't seem to get caught up, though!

Eddie

Jason Roehl
02-22-2008, 8:29 AM
I'd do a retirement countdown, but one, it's probably a long ways off, and two, I don't know how long I'm going to live. :rolleyes:

Now, if somewhere along the line I become independently wealthy, then I would just shift my focus to volunteer-type work.

Tyler Howell
02-22-2008, 8:36 AM
Thanks Folks
Really looking forward to it.

# 9

Karl Laustrup
02-22-2008, 8:41 AM
How long before you head north? Maybe wait for late spring, early summer?

Karl

Tyler Howell
02-22-2008, 12:26 PM
This is the place where I'll be hanging out. It's about 10 minutes from my new place up north.
http://www.northhousefolkschool.com/ (http://www.northhousefolkschool.com/)
I'm doing some work for them now and hope to take and teach some courses in the future.
If you surf their site you'll find the Hjordis a fine old lady in need of love, attention, and a part time ships master.
I've started working on my 100 ton coast guard certification and will continue my training.
My Garagemahal is packed with boxes and toyls. I'll be getting that organized.

In mid March I'm headed south of the boarder for a week on the beach.
So this should keep me busy for a while.

John Fricke
02-22-2008, 12:43 PM
Having my father bankrupt the family farm just as I was supposed to take it over and with the current economy in MI. I doubt I'll live long enough to be able to afford to retire. But life goes on and it's all good eh. Enjoy your retirement and make lotsa sawdust.

Jack Hogoboom
02-22-2008, 1:02 PM
Unless I'm getting the day count wrong, if you are working a normal Monday-Friday work week, you really only have five more days to go.

Remember, if there aren't pictures, it didn't happen.

Jack

Tyler Howell
02-22-2008, 3:23 PM
Unless I'm getting the day count wrong, if you are working a normal Monday-Friday work week, you really only have five more days to go.

Remember, if there aren't pictures, it didn't happen.

Jack
Jack,
I'm counting every day till I'm out the door. In my job I'm on call 24/7 so even a weekend is burdened with work.
To roll my retirement the right way I have to show up on Monday 3/3/08.

Al Willits
02-22-2008, 3:50 PM
Gonna be around this weekend??

Found a new burger place on 66 and Penn you may like.

Al

Jason Roehl
02-22-2008, 4:26 PM
Hey, Tyler, once you retire, are you going to take up a hobby or something to occupy your time? :D

Tyler Howell
02-23-2008, 9:33 AM
#VIII And counting

Belinda Barfield
02-23-2008, 9:38 AM
Hang in there Tyler!

Michael Gibbons
02-23-2008, 9:45 AM
Lucky Dog!!! About 8,700 for me.:(

mark page
02-23-2008, 10:27 AM
Congrats Tyler, good luck on your ventures. My actual goal was 10 too, but in years. But with the second marriage comes a total of five kids, and the 10 got refigured to " till death do my job part" lol.:D

Ken Fitzgerald
02-23-2008, 10:32 AM
How many days until retirement Tyler?

Oh! I just realized that you are too short to answer that question...figuratively speaking, of course!:rolleyes::D

Dennis Peacock
02-23-2008, 11:48 AM
You Go Tyler...!!!!!!!!!!!

May you have and keep a wonderful retirement!!!!!!

Does this mean you'll get to spin that lathe of yours after you "retire"?? :rolleyes: :D

Tyler Howell
02-24-2008, 12:02 PM
Lucky Number Seven!!!:D

Matt Meiser
02-24-2008, 1:09 PM
This is the place where I'll be hanging out. It's about 10 minutes from my new place up north.
http://www.northhousefolkschool.com/ (http://www.northhousefolkschool.com/).

Did you take the first class listed on their Woodworking page? http://www.northhousefolkschool.com/classes/Woodwork.htm:D

Tyler Howell
02-24-2008, 2:37 PM
Did you take the first class listed on their Woodworking page? http://www.northhousefolkschool.com/classes/Woodwork.htm:D

Not Yet But I did visit while it was going on.
A real fun bunch.:o:o

Tyler Howell
02-25-2008, 8:47 AM
6 Days,
16 Hours.
15 Minutes.
20, 19, 18, 17, 16, 15............Seconds :cool:

Jerry White
02-25-2008, 9:52 AM
Way to go, Tyler!!!!

Come on in, the water's fine. Congratulations on a great career - best wishes for this new phase of your life.

Jerry

Bruce Page
02-25-2008, 3:02 PM
6 Days,
16 Hours.
15 Minutes.
20, 19, 18, 17, 16, 15............Seconds :cool:

Now you're just teasing us!

Tyler Howell
02-26-2008, 10:26 AM
Sinco!
Are the days to go!

Ken Fitzgerald
02-26-2008, 10:29 AM
Go ahead and rub it in Tyler!

Congrats my friend! Well deserved I'm sure!

Jay Kilpatrick
02-26-2008, 2:20 PM
I'm planning on at least 2, but who knows, I might win the lottery... guess I better start playing... I'm not even going to bother counting days. We'll just say at least 8.25 years until the first retirement; about 32 - 35 years until the second...

Cheers!
Jay

Scott Donley
02-26-2008, 4:42 PM
Congrats Tyler !!!! I have gained 3 inches around the waist in 3 years I have been off :o Watch out !

Chad Pater
02-27-2008, 6:43 AM
Tyler, congrat's. I've been a little AWOL around here the last year. I remember when your count down clock was over a year:)
Chad

Tyler Howell
02-27-2008, 8:06 AM
Four More
Don't stand in the door!!

Nancy Laird
02-28-2008, 1:57 PM
Hey Tyler, where's the count for today??? Are you frozen in somewhere? I know all about the anticipation. When and where's the retirement party????

Tyler Howell
02-28-2008, 5:52 PM
Only Three, and I'll Be Free!!!!

Had to hit the road with my replacement.
A lot of windsheild time.
Feeling a whole lot better about this adventure.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-28-2008, 7:53 PM
Tyler....You should talk to Dave. THe Rumor is to be cautious about doing anything and everything Nancy says you have to do!:eek::rolleyes::D

Congrats Tyler!

Tyler Howell
02-28-2008, 8:21 PM
Tyler....You should talk to Dave. THe Rumor is to be cautious about doing anything and everything Nancy says you have to do!:eek::rolleyes::D

Congrats Tyler!

Ken,
I did talk to Dave. That's why I'm doing what I'm told.
Her shirt says "SWMBO"

Ken Fitzgerald
02-28-2008, 9:41 PM
Thanks Tyler. That "splains it!:D

I'll bet it was a capital "M" ?

Barry Stratton
02-28-2008, 11:53 PM
CONGRATS on the upcoming day Tyler! You are going to LOVE it!!!!

Tyler Howell
02-29-2008, 7:51 AM
Two More Wake-Ups:D:D

Matt Meiser
02-29-2008, 8:25 AM
Old people are so lucky...:D

Nancy Laird
02-29-2008, 9:09 AM
Duplicate post

Nancy Laird
02-29-2008, 9:11 AM

Congrats Tyler!

Ken,
I did talk to Dave. That's why I'm doing what I'm told.
Her shirt says "SWMBO"

Thanks Tyler. That "splains it!:D

I'll bet it was a capital "M" ?

:D:D:D David knows what's good for him!!

Tyler Howell
03-01-2008, 9:37 AM
1 More Full Day.
Gave my debrief yesterday, all unused keys and equipment.

It ain't over yet.

Jim Becker
03-01-2008, 9:44 AM
Soon, Tyler...soon.... :D

And then you'll have the time to be REALLY busy! LOL

Jim O'Dell
03-01-2008, 9:52 AM
You made your last day fall on a MONDAY????? Man, that would be hard to wake up for!:D The only thing I regret is that you won't be coming back to Ft Worth on a business trip. I wanted to take you to Uncle Julios. The offer still stands, as does the requirement that it's my treat this time, in case you make it back this way for non-business purposes. Jim.

Jason Roehl
03-01-2008, 10:04 AM
Tyler, just to warn you, a good, retired friend of mine says that he has a tough decision to make each day when he get up in the morning. He has to decide whether each day is a Saturday or a Sunday. :rolleyes:

Another retired friend once told me that he has to decide each day exactly how much he is NOT going to do...

:D

Chad Pater
03-02-2008, 8:16 AM
GOOD MORNING !!!!!

Tyler Howell
03-02-2008, 1:22 PM
ll hours 44 minutes to go now.
Phone hasn't gone off all weekend.
Feeling pretty Good

Nancy Laird
03-02-2008, 3:33 PM
Tyler, just to warn you, a good, retired friend of mine says that he has a tough decision to make each day when he get up in the morning. He has to decide whether each day is a Saturday or a Sunday. :rolleyes: :D

Tyler, as a reminder, the SUNDAY comics are in color, Saturday's aren't!! That's how you tell the difference.

I'm looking forward to your post tomorrow after you get home from work so you can tell us all about all the neat retirement gifts you got.

Nancy

Jerry White
03-02-2008, 9:54 PM
BIG DAY TOMORROW!

Congratulations, Tyler!!!

Enjoy........

By the way, you did tell your Division Manager you wanted a SawStop in lieu of the usual FAA Rolex retirement gift didn't you? :D

Jim Becker
03-03-2008, 7:30 AM
Congrats on the final day, Tyler!

Dick Bringhurst
03-03-2008, 7:38 AM
Cpngrats Tyler. I was told it took a little while to get used to retirement. They were right. It took me at least 15 seconds, but thats ok I recovered. Dick B.

Tyler Howell
03-03-2008, 9:05 AM
My lady friend wanted a pix of me heading out on the last day:o
Handed in my keys and phone.
Paid everybody.
Couple of personal items to carry out.
Finished a write up for one of my outstanding employees.
One of the guys from work gave me a bottle of home brew:eek:.
The actual party is Wed at 4.
I'll give you the update later.

Not sure how I feel.
When I was helping my temp replacement get ready for the morning telecon I still got that gut clench that comes along with a problem some place in the system. Let it go, breath deep. Not my problem anymore.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-03-2008, 9:15 AM
Tyler, my friend, .....Congrats! Having worked air traffic control for 6 years, I know the kind of people who work that stuff. Congrats my friend! You have worked in a tedious high stress profession for a long while. It's time to enjoy the fruits of you labor and get away from that stress. As one who has spent his share of hours in the air as an air traveler. Thanks!

Go forth.....have fun........and get rid of the "stomach" problem. Thanks again for your dedication Ty!

I hope to shake your hand one day. Do they have roads anywhere near your soon to be new location? Where's the nearest airport and car rental place?

Jim O'Dell
03-03-2008, 9:29 AM
That was a quick day!! You must go in earlier than most of us. :D Have a great start to a whole new life! Jim.

Belinda Barfield
03-03-2008, 9:37 AM
Happy Retirement Day Tyler!

James Suzda
03-03-2008, 10:38 AM
Nancy Said I had to do it!
Actually I've been counting down since the first trip to the ER with chest pains (stress:o).
Here goes.

10 more days to freedom
Your orginal post was on 02/21 so wow, we must be getting down to hours now!
BTW, retirement is great!!!! :D

Jerry White
03-03-2008, 10:39 AM
Tyler,

Three years ago I walked out of the Air Traffic Control Center to end a career of 47 years. You can't put as much into a job as we did and not feel some sadness when you leave, even if you know the time is right. I knew I would miss the people, and it turned out I missed the work, too. One thing I did not miss was the morning telecons! For a long time, I just felt like I was on vacation and would be going back. Now I am very much enjoying this new phase of my life.

This is to say, HOPE YOU ENJOY YOUR NEW LIFE, AND GET BUSY ON THAT GREAT LOOKING SHOP YOU HAVE SHOWN US!!! :) :) :)

Best wishes,

Jerry

Eddie Watkins
03-03-2008, 11:12 AM
Congratulations Tyler, you did it!! Like Jerry, I felt like I was on leave for several weeks. It finally occurred to me that I was not going back. Then the party started.:D You will never miss it. You'll stay so busy you will wonder how you had time to work.

Good luck

Eddie

Nancy Laird
03-03-2008, 5:02 PM
So, Tyler, how's the first day of your retirement going?

Tyler Howell
03-03-2008, 6:10 PM
So, Tyler, how's the first day of your retirement going?
Still the unknown Nancy, I went to the head shed to turn in my phone and the guard wouldn't let me in because I didn't have proper ID Turned that in Fri:D.

Feels like I snuck out early and just getting some work around the house done.
This is going to take a day or two.:o

Jim O'Dell
03-03-2008, 7:32 PM
YEAH!!! Enjoy getting used to it. Repeat after me, "This is not just a vacation, this is not just a vacation,....." Jim.

David Duke
03-03-2008, 8:15 PM
Congratulations Tyler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Al Willits
03-03-2008, 9:40 PM
Ya need to just sit and chat over a burger, you know where I am, anytime my friend...:D

Congrats, and enjoy.

Al

Jim Becker
03-03-2008, 10:28 PM
CONGRATULATIONS, Tyler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michael Gibbons
03-04-2008, 2:07 AM
What's the percentage of people that can actually retire nowadays anyways???

Ken Fitzgerald
03-04-2008, 9:34 AM
Now that Tyler's retired, I hope he'll check in with us once in a while. You know how it is ......get up in the morning (well eventually).....put the coffee on .....read the paper......turn on the tv and get the most recent news......take a nap........fix breakfast.........take a nap.......take a shower.......take a nap.......shave.....take a nap......brush your teeth.....take a nap.........fix lunch........take a nap.........watch the news for the latest primary election poll guesses.....take a nap........get the mail......take a nap.........fix supper.......take a nap..........watch the news........take a nap............watch American Idol.......take a nap......Can't sleep at night.....Too many naps!:D

David G Baker
03-04-2008, 10:14 AM
Tyler,
If you are allowed back into your old place of work after some time has passed, you may notice how stressed your former co-workers look. The comment that I heard the most from my ex-co-workers was how relaxed and healthy I looked. Most of them looked like they hadn't seen the Sun in months and very stressed looking. I had no idea of how much better I felt after all of the stress was lifted from my daily routine. I frequently dream that I am back doing the old job.
Congratulations..........and enjoy all the things that you have put off doing over the years.

Nancy Laird
03-04-2008, 10:26 AM
David, I have to concur with the lack of stress. I've had many people tell me how relaxed I look after retiring--no fighting the rush-hour traffic and no dealing with parents who have nothing better to do than to fight over their children.

Ken, I wish I could take a nap occasionally!

So, Tyler, how late did you sleep this morning?

Tyler Howell
03-04-2008, 10:57 AM
Day #1 of retirement

I woke up at .4:00AM. That Bio clock is fine tuned after years of practice

Stayed in the sack till 7: then hit it. I have to rent a trailer and meet the window washer

Glenn Clabo
03-04-2008, 11:22 AM
Hey...you're retire Tyler. You can do your own windows now!
(Kidding...I wouldn't want to hear about the old retired guy falling off a ladder and breaking a hip ;))

David G Baker
03-04-2008, 1:05 PM
Tyler,
I usually wake up at around 4:00 AM but I go down the hall then go back to bed and sleep till 9:00 unless I have an appointment. Those darn appointments are becoming much more frequent as time goes on so I now take afternoon naps. :)

Lee DeRaud
03-04-2008, 1:18 PM
Day #1 of retirementAnd Brett Favre just announced his retirement.

Coincidence? I think not.:eek::cool:

Jack Hogoboom
03-04-2008, 9:26 PM
C'mon Tyler. You can do better than that. For 11 days, we've been living vicariously through you. You need to provide more detail on your first day of freedom. We need details.

Jack

Tyler Howell
03-12-2008, 6:44 PM
Day 9 of retirement. moved hundreds of pounds of clutter, clothes and furniture. Painted, washed floors, pulled wire. replaced glass, and hired contractors.
Passed my truth in housing inspection:D

Slept until 7:30........ pretty good huh!!!!

Headed to Mexico tomorrow for a lot of R&R. Have a good week. I'll take some pix

Jim O'Dell
03-12-2008, 7:20 PM
WOW, retirement must be brutal!!!! 9 days and you already have to take a vacation out of the country???!!!!???? Sheesh, maybe I better work til I'm ready for the old folks home! :D:D:D Have a great trip! Jim.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-12-2008, 7:29 PM
Slept until 7:30........ pretty good huh!!!!

Headed to Mexico tomorrow for a lot of R&R. Have a good week. I'll take some pix

Tyler.....You sorry rascal!

Enjoy Tyler! You've earned it.

Tyler Howell
03-28-2008, 1:30 PM
What I did on day 10 -18 0f my retirement (everyday).
http://www.shangrilacaribe.net/index.htm (http://www.shangrilacaribe.net/index.htm)
Please note SMC Polo shirt.

Bruce Page
03-28-2008, 2:37 PM
What I did on day 10 -18 0f my retirement (everyday).
http://www.shangrilacaribe.net/index.htm (http://www.shangrilacaribe.net/index.htm)
Please note SMC Polo shirt.

That ain’t Kansas (or Minnesota).
Congrats, you earned it!

Nancy Laird
03-28-2008, 7:15 PM
Tyler, you are a dirty rat!!!! Taking a vacation from retirement!!! I wish I could do that (that trip to MN does NOT count---it had another purpose).

Nancy

David G Baker
03-28-2008, 11:47 PM
Tyler,
What is all of that white stuff all over the ground behind you? It looks like the 12-18" of the white stuff that is still on some areas of my property. Does the stuff melt when the Sun hits it like mine does? I don't think I am ready to lay out on my lawn chair in shorts and tee shirt quite yet. :D

Ken Fitzgerald
03-29-2008, 12:24 AM
Tyler....I'm going to sleep better tonight. I was worried how you would take to retirement but by those photos I can tell you will make the transition quite well! Congrats my friend! I hope Sharon doesn't see those photos!

Belinda Barfield
03-29-2008, 8:59 AM
Okay Tyler, now you're just being mean! Here I am working 14 hour days and there you are sittin' in the shade sippin' cool drinks and enjoying the view! Think I'll just start my countdown now, only 5200 more days to go (not counting weekends, which I should since I seem to work every one of them). In all seriousness, I'm glad to see you're taking to retirement like a duck to water. Congrats again!