PDA

View Full Version : Leigh FMT or Festool Domino

Charles Wilson
02-21-2008, 12:16 PM
Well, any opinions?

Not trying to get people flaming. Just interested in what people have to say.

Chuck

Mike Spanbauer
02-21-2008, 12:23 PM
speed vs. flexibility.

FMT will accomodate a larger range of tenon sizes and offers additional flexiblity, but can require up to 15-20 minutes to set-up (even if you're good).

The domino can fully tenon an end table in 30 minutes with double tenon's for every joint.

The domino may have a slightly more limited range of applications, however it is the fastest unit I've seen in producing these joints and they are SPOT on accurate. I've not put my Dom through its paces yet, but so far I'm impressed as can be.

mike

Bill Wyko
02-21-2008, 12:45 PM
I'd have to agree with Mike. I put 30 dominos into a faceframe and had it done with finish on it in about 2 hours from sticks to done. I have never used a FMT though. With the Domino you can put a M&T in the middle of a flat piece then go right to a table leg in 30 seconds. I guess it would depend on what you will ues it for as well.

Chuck Nickerson
02-21-2008, 12:53 PM
I'll just add that the FMT handles a very wide range of tenon sizes, down to 1/16", which is why I bought it. Also, 15 - 20 minutes for set-up sounds a little long. For me it's closer to 5 - 10 minutes. If you just do normal furniture stuff, Domino is the way to go.

jason lambert
02-21-2008, 1:20 PM
I have a domino and like it but there is nothing like a real M&T. Anyhow that being said if it is a production envirment and time is money the domino is the way to go also you would never M&T a face frame but the domino can do that.

Chris Rosenberger
02-21-2008, 1:22 PM
I have both & will keep both. There are joints I can make with the FMT that I cannot do with the Domino. If I could only have one. It would be a Domino.

Chris Rosenberger
02-21-2008, 1:26 PM
also you would never M&T a face frame but the domino can do that.

I am not sure I am reading this right. But I M&T all of my face frames with a hollow chisel mortiser & table saw.

Bill Wyko
02-21-2008, 2:41 PM
I used my domino to build the faces of my cabinet and to attach it to the box. No screws.;) Only time will tell but I don't think it'll go anywhere. I also use my Domino to make a slide lock for small boxes and it works great. I'll be posting pics soon of the box I'm speaking of.

Jim Becker
02-21-2008, 4:09 PM
In the past, I likely would have chosen the MFT because I like Leigh products and ti was one of the better router-based solutions availaible. Today, I'd likely choose the Domino. I like both the portablity and the fast setup it offers. Not to mention I like that company, too...

Gary Keedwell
02-21-2008, 4:43 PM
In the past, I likely would have chosen the MFT because I like Leigh products and ti was one of the better router-based solutions availaible. Today, I'd likely choose the Domino. I like both the portablity and the fast setup it offers. Not to mention I like that company, too...
Jim..how long have you had your domino? I would like one as a toy but I'm not proficient enough to justify one.:(
Gary

Roger Bolen
02-21-2008, 5:36 PM
Two different machines with different purposes. I own both and use both as the need arises. The FMT makes joints that the Domino could never make, set up time is in reality more like 10 minutes for the first setup. For face frames and such, the Domino is the only way to go.

Roger

John Fry
02-21-2008, 6:20 PM
Two different machines with different purposes. I own both and use both as the need arises. The FMT makes joints that the Domino could never make, set up time is in reality more like 10 minutes for the first setup. For face frames and such, the Domino is the only way to go.

RogerI completely agree!

I have both, and use both, for different applications. I have had a plate joiner for many years, I have had my FMT for about four years, and I purchased my domino when they first came out. I bought it to "augment" my joinery options, not to replace any tool that I already have.

Jim Becker
02-21-2008, 8:26 PM
Jim..how long have you had your domino? I would like one as a toy but I'm not proficient enough to justify one.

I don't own one, Gary. But of the two units asked about, I'd "likely choose" the domino for the reasons stated.

Jason Philip
02-21-2008, 8:56 PM
I'm in dire need of a new mortising system, I've gut hundreds of mortises with my delta drill press attachment, but its time to upgrade. If you could only get one, would it be the Domino or Powermatic 719T (floor model mortiser with tilting table). Thanks.

Thomas Walker
02-21-2008, 9:04 PM
I choose joints in this order:

1) Pocket screws if the holes don't matter. Super quick, frequently don't need glue, and I can take it apart.

2) Domino joint - faster than the FMT.

3) FMT - I use this when the domino isn't the right size or the workpiece is too likely to twist while plunging. The FMT has been invaluable for the child safety railing I'm making. When the workpiece requires a lot of M&T the speed advantage of the Domino is smaller.

joseph j shields
02-21-2008, 9:34 PM
Charles,

I have the Dom and love it. BUT, a couple things to note:

Although it looks like and acts like a biscuit jointer, it is not. It is very precise and you have to be as accurate as the machine.
I find that I get much better results if I reference my cuts off the bottom, rather than using the fence.
As others have mentioned, it is really fast.
If you buy it, plan on buying the accessories... they really do help.Good luck on your purchase.

-jj

Mike Spanbauer
02-22-2008, 11:36 AM
I'm in dire need of a new mortising system, I've gut hundreds of mortises with my delta drill press attachment, but its time to upgrade. If you could only get one, would it be the Domino or Powermatic 719T (floor model mortiser with tilting table). Thanks.

Hi James,

They aren't the same machine, nor are the tasks they accomplish the same.

I just sold my 719A (T predecessor, same specs except the tilt) and the Domino will be my tenon machine now.

The reasons were:

that I needed space, the domino takes up VERY little
Powermatic took time to set up extremely accurately, Domino is pretty much set and go
Also, the mortise portion that the 719 provides is only have the joint and the tenon work takes quite a bit of time. I like the bandsawn method (which was my preference) but it's still a minute or so per to align and get it right.I was looking for speed and more room and hence the choice became easier for me.

They really aren't the same type of tool though. It will come down to what type of work YOU will be doing. The PM rocked and was an industrial machine, however it wasn't necessary for 95% of my work so it went.

g'luck.

mike