PDA

View Full Version : Pesticides, bug bombs, borates in wood - toxic?

Jim Underwood
02-21-2008, 10:39 AM
If you use those bug bombs to kill the bugs in your woodpile or in your shop, does it leave residual poison that's toxic to humans who turn the wood?

If you use a borate spray whether a home recipe or a premixed version, does it leave residuals that will harm you when turning?

What about other pesticides recommended for killing bugs in wood?

Jim Underwood
02-21-2008, 7:56 PM
Anyone?

Surely someone knows something....

Bill Stevener
02-21-2008, 8:13 PM
Would you eat food sprayed with that stuff. :confused:
Surely you are going to ingest wood particles when turning or sanding.
I don't care what any of the face shield Co's say. The only thing that may help is a fully sealed pressurised bubble hood.
Isn't there enough wood around with out having to resort to using chemically treated wood. :eek:

I don't even think turning or working with spalted wood it good for you. spalting is a form of a fungus, mold, bacteria.
The number one killer in lung cancer is smoking, asbestos, and fungus, mold and bacteria.

Brian McInturff
02-21-2008, 9:40 PM
I guess it depends on if you are talking about trees being treated or the wood being treated. If the wood then you should wear protection. The pesticide/herbicide will still be on/in the wood. Now if you are talking about trees being treated, like when they fly over and spray then the chances are slim of any exposure to levels of contaminants that could actually be harmful. The foliage would get the majority of the chemicals and the rest would be washed to the ground by rain and or the wind. None of them are soluble in water which is why so many places like orchards are having to have remediation performed.