PDA

View Full Version : Thickness sanders

Anthony Smaldone
02-21-2008, 10:28 AM
Hi everyone,
I'm in the market for a drum sander. I would like to know if anyone out there is famiiar with both the Performax, and the Delta. I know the Delta is 18 in. wide and the comperable Priced Performax is 16 in.wide. Is there a quality difference between the two. And also,is the finished product the same.

Thanks for any responces in advance

Anthony

Anthony Whitesell
02-21-2008, 10:37 AM
I just finished my research on which drum sander to purchase and pulled the trigger on the Performax last weekend. I can't speak of performance but I can on design. The Delta and the Grizzly drum sanders move the table to adjust the height/thickness which makes in/outfeed table design difficult. The Performax moves the drum to adjust the height/thickness making the infeed/outfeed tables easier to build. As a personal belief, I think there would be less moving parts in the height adjuster for Performax than the Delta/Grizzly. In the Delta/Grizzly there are four screws that must turn in sync to adjust the height and I'm not real fond of that design aspect.

Peter Quinn
02-21-2008, 11:52 AM
I have a performax and I like it. Mine is a 22-44, 1 3/4HP. Solid machine and a real time saver. Have used widebelts in the past and know my way around a sander pretty well. The performax is easy to set up, very accurate and grit changes are quick after I read the directions and stopped screaming obsenities.

I looked at the delta a few years back, don't really remember why I went performax. Can't compare any other models for you as I haven't used them.

I dont have a problem with a moving table or four post thicknessing machine design in general. Many industrial planers and most wide belt sanders are made that way. Its a proven design that is simple to adjust and maintain parralel. I worry that at the entry level the posts and gears that move the table and the table itself wont be robust enough to perform well long term but thats just speculation, not due to actual experience.

Joe Chritz
02-21-2008, 12:33 PM
I have used the Delta and for what it is it does a decent job. Once set up and using light passes it produces a good finish. The Performax should do the same.

I now have the Grizzly dual drum and the most important improvement was using good belts.

I purchased a stroke sander belt in the heaviest I could find and cut strips from that. I recommend that for anyone with a drum sander, that or get strips from a place that custom makes belts.

Joe

Edit: spelling is fundamental

Anthony Smaldone
02-21-2008, 8:25 PM
Thanks guys, That info helps me a little. It looks like I'm going to take another look at the Performax. ( wish it came in 18in.) I would imagine a dual drum would be expensive.

Thanks again

Mike Cutler
02-21-2008, 8:31 PM
Thanks guys, That info helps me a little. It looks like I'm going to take another look at the Performax. ( wish it came in 18in.) I would imagine a dual drum would be expensive.

Thanks again

Not really.

Here is a link to two drum sanders in the classified section. By the time you get the Performax set up on the mobile base with casters, and with the extension tables you may find that you aren't too far away from Dave's price on the General.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=77209

Jim Shipman
02-25-2008, 3:47 PM
Don't know if you have purchased already but I just set up my Jet 22-44 closed base, used it on a couple projects this past week and am very happy with it. It's a few hundred more than the 16" but for what I do it was well worth it.

Gary Muto
02-26-2008, 3:49 PM
I have the Performax 22-44". I thought it was the sturdiest designa and alos the most capacity for the $$. Aside from what's been stated, you should consider the Performax sandsmart system that reduces the chance of overload. I don't think Delta offers that.

Guy Germaine
02-27-2008, 8:17 AM
Depending on what you want to do with it, you need to look at the Minimum thickness each machine will do. I have been looking at the Delta and Performax too, and when I buy, it will be the Performax since it will sand down to 3/32", I think. I want one for sanding shop-sawn veneers, and without a sled, the Delta won't do it.