PDA

View Full Version : Kreg Top Trak

Tom Esh
02-21-2008, 8:42 AM
A few days ago in another thread I was lamenting not having included tracks on the fences of my miter station, then today I stumbled across this...
http://www.kregtool.com/products/pms/product.php?PRODUCT_ID=40
...which looks exactly like what I need. Before I pull the trigger thought I'd solicit some Creeker opinions.

Rod Sheridan
02-21-2008, 8:57 AM
Hi Tom, I have the Kreg Heavy Duty Track, in a four foot length with two flip stops on my drill press table.

I couldn't be happier with it, the T slots allow me to custom make stops, jigs and dust collection hoods that are easilly attached and adjusted.

Regards, Rod.

frank shic
02-21-2008, 9:21 AM
tom, i used them for my drill press as well which i have converted to a dedicated hinge boring machine. the only thing i don't like about the stops is that they sometimes get a little stuck when you're trying to flip them up and down but then again: what can you expect for this price?

JayStPeter
02-21-2008, 10:02 AM
I've got 12' of it on my miter saw station. It works great.

Scott Loven
02-21-2008, 10:09 AM
I would go with the 4' lengths rather then the 2 foot lengths, they also have 3.5 m metric tapes LR and RL if anyone is interested.
Scott

Steve Clardy
02-21-2008, 10:18 AM
Yes. Good system. I have it.

Watch out for stripping out the little screw that holds the clear plastic indicator tight on the flipstop.

The screw is.............PLASTIC :eek:

Yes, I stripped mine out. I replaced it with a standard machine screw.

Rob Will
02-21-2008, 10:30 AM
Does anybody sell longer lengths of heavy duty t-track (12')?....

or does it work ok to butt 4' pieces together?

Is this system heavy enough to stand up to cutting framing lumber (2x4's 2x6's)?

Thanks,

Rob

JayStPeter
02-21-2008, 10:46 AM

Is this system heavy enough to stand up to cutting framing lumber (2x4's 2x6's)?

Thanks,

Rob

It's OK to butt them together. I agree about buying 4' lengths over 2' lengths though. I bought the kit plus a 4' piece, so I have a bunch of 2' pieces butted together. They are held tight in place on the fence you have to make anyway.

Steve Clardy
02-21-2008, 10:50 AM

Thanks,

Rob

Framing lumber. I do occasionally, but be careful not to butt the flip stops to hard.

Tom Esh
02-21-2008, 10:51 AM
Thanks to all for the feedback. Sounds like a winner.

Rob Will
02-21-2008, 11:57 AM
Ok, not to hijack Tom's thread here too much but what would be the best material and method to fabricate a bechtop miter station riser combined with a fence?

I have a laminate counter top and want to bolt my CMS directly to the top.

12' to the left and 6' to the right, I want to permanently attach a riser with a t-slot system. The riser will be about 8" front to back and tall enough to match the height of my CMS.

What materials would you use to build this?

Would the fence be a single tall piece that extends all the way down to the counter top?

Would the horizontal "table" be set into the fence with some sort of rabet (dado) or would you build a "box" structure and then attach the fence to the back side of the "box"?

How would you attach this assembly to the counter top? Screws from the bottom side?

Thanks,

rob