PDA

View Full Version : Router advice needed

Everette Harmon
02-21-2008, 6:55 AM
I own more routers than I really need, however they are all plunge base routers. I have never seen a situation where I would need a fixed base router.
What are the advantages to a fixed base router versus a plunge base router.
Thanks
Everette

Anthony Whitesell
02-21-2008, 7:53 AM
I was wondering the same thing. I have the Bosch 1617 kit with both bases and the only advantage I see to the fixed base over the plunge base is that it is round. Meaning that no matter how you hold it the edge of the base is the same distance of the bit.

I hope more experienced experts add their $0.02 cents. I can't wait to find out the answer.

John Keeton
02-21-2008, 7:58 AM
I have wondered about this as well, and seems from some of the posts that a small, lightweight, fixed round based router is preferred for dovetail jigs. It seems to make sense as it would be a dedicated use router.

Jim Becker
02-21-2008, 8:05 AM
Balance. For edge work and things like using a dovetail jig, a fixed base (or D-Handle) router setup will be more comfortable to use and easier to control. The one exception I've found has been the Festool OF1010 as it's relatively compact for a plunger, but not a tool for everyone. My DW618 is always in the fixed base for cutting dovetails, for example. The lower center of gravity is very helpful in that situation.

And honestly, I find the fixed base routers less complicated to "fine adjust" which is also convenient for dovetail work, etc. But that's a personal preference rather than an objective differentiator.

Tom Esh
02-21-2008, 8:25 AM
Probably depends on what you're comfortable with. I started using routers before plungers were commonly available, but I find the fixed base a bit more stable because of their lower center of gravity. I'm comfortable using a fixed base for a table top edge treatement without an offset sub-base. By contrast I find a plunger just feels too "tippy" to me in that situation. I never use the plunge unless it's something like cutting inlays where it's clearly the better choice.

pat warner
02-21-2008, 10:19 AM
See selection link . (http://patwarner.com/selecting_router.html)

Vince Shriver
02-21-2008, 10:33 AM
30 yrs ago I worked in a cabinet shop that made fixtures for beauty shops - mostly plastic laminate work. I spent most of my days there over an old Stanley router, edge trimming the laminate on the components for the various pieces we were building. I think a plunge router (had they even existed back then) would have been more of an encumberance than an aid in what we did. By the way, I really loved those old Stanley routers where the base just screwed up on to the threaded body for depth adjustment.

Everette Harmon
02-21-2008, 4:39 PM
Thanks, for the info. I have several Dewalt 621 routers and I really like them because of the dust collection. I have a few more bigger routers and they are also plunge. I just got a PC fixed base and I'm just not sure if I really need it. Thinking about selling it and did not want to take it out of the box unless I was going to keep it.
Thanks again
Everette.