PDA

View Full Version : Glue

Ken Potts
02-20-2008, 11:06 PM
Does anyone know if Tight Bond or any other glue goes bad after a set time? I've heard that glue is no good after a year, I don't know. I've never kept any that long but would like to buy a larger amount. Thanks.

Ken.

Peter Quadarella
02-20-2008, 11:12 PM
I've heard about a year also. I keep testing this one bottle I have because it's getting close - so far so good.

Norman Pyles
02-21-2008, 1:06 AM
Ken I don't have a link, but if you go to your glue makers website I think you can get that information. I have heard about a year also.

Joe Chritz
02-21-2008, 5:25 AM
It only takes an hour to test it so if in doubt, glue up a piece and break it. If it takes pieces of the wood with it then it is still good.

I've never had any last close to a year so I can't say for sure but I believe the year is a manufacturer suggestion.

Joe

Sam Yerardi
02-21-2008, 7:42 AM
I can't remember who it was but I think it might have been either Jeff Jewitt or Chris Minick in Fine Woodworking said that one test you can do before even trying to see if it will glue & hold is to dip a stick into it, pull the stick out and see how it flows off of the stick. In the terms they used in the article, if it comes up 'snotty' (stringy like mozzarella chesse) then it's probably beyond it's shelf life and you should avoid using it.

Jim Becker
02-21-2008, 8:13 AM
I'm not sure of any exact times, but can't imagine that there isn't a shelf life on PVA glues. "Local Conditions" likely make that variable, too. I know that freezing is usually an issue for many of these products, too. Other forms of glue can be really sensitive once the container is opened...poly glues like Gorilla and similar, for example.

A long time ago, I thought I'd be thrifty and buy the gallon size. That's probably the more expensive method for someone who's not really using that quantity quickly. Now, I buy TB-III in the smaller containers, even though I'm using more glue as of late. When I get down to about 1/3 in the bottle, I put it on my "list" to buy another one. In this manner, I always have fresh glue and frankly, the cost difference is so little that it's not even remotely a factor over time to worry about.

BTW, the same thing applies to finishes...only buy what you will use for a project or withing a reasonable period of time. Old finish is a prescription for headaches or worse.

Richard M. Wolfe
02-21-2008, 9:48 AM
Out of curiousity I checked and below is what I copied and pasted from the titebond website.

"Our literature states the shelf life of all of our glues as one year. Titebond Liquid Hide Glue includes an expiration date on the bottle, because it can progressively lose its ability to dry hard, and this change is not visually obvious. Titebond Polyurethane Glue has a one year shelf life in an unopened container, but is useable as long as the glue remains fluid. Polyurethanes, however, are designed to react when exposed to moisture and can sometimes begin to cure after the bottle has been opened, and solidify.

Most of our yellow and white glues, including Titebond Original and Titebond II, remain usable beyond two years. Should Titebond Original become thick and stringy, or Titebond II turns into an orange colored gel, these changes signify that the glue is no longer usable. The minimum shelf life of Titebond III is stated as one year, when stored appropriately at room temperature. Titebond III is expected to last beyond its stated shelf life. If thickened, shake vigorously by firmly tapping bottle on a hard surface until product is restored to original form."

Charlie Plesums
02-21-2008, 10:49 AM
I can't remember who it was but I think it might have been either Jeff Jewitt or Chris Minick in Fine Woodworking said that one test you can do before even trying to see if it will glue & hold is to dip a stick into it, pull the stick out and see how it flows off of the stick. In the terms they used in the article, if it comes up 'snotty' (stringy like mozzarella chesse) then it's probably beyond it's shelf life and you should avoid using it.

I saw a post or article quite a few years ago by someone who claimed to be one of the chemists involved in the development of PVA glue. He suggested the glue could be thinned if it got thick, but should be discarded when it got "snotty." (I don't think he used that word, but whatever word he used, left that picture in my mind.).

I primarily use "original" yellow glue (more than a gallon per year), but I have a bottle of water resistant yellow glue that is probably close to 10 years old, and still works fine.