PDA

View Full Version : Fav. Miter Guage?

Danny Thompson
02-20-2008, 10:44 PM
I need a new miter guage, ideally shared between my TS and BS. Got any suggestions?

dan grant
02-20-2008, 10:47 PM
osborne for the tsaw little big for the bsaw

Bill Huber
02-20-2008, 11:01 PM
I have 2 different ones, one that I use just on the TS and the other one I use on the TS, sander and router table.

I have the EB-3 from Osborn for the TS and the V-27 Incra.

I like the EB-3, it is long and very easy to use and set, the stop works very well and I do use it a lot.

The V27 is great for just about anything, you can put what ever type of fence on it you want very easily. I have 2 difference fences I use on it, one is about 6 inches long and the other one is 12 inches.

82162 82163

Kev Godwin
02-20-2008, 11:40 PM
Danny,
Like Bill Huber, I also use the Incra V27. It has great performance for a low relative price compared to many other upgrade miters. You do need to make your own fences but I like that. I have several that I use for different purposes. The one I use the most extends beyond the blade to sweep the cut-off past the blade.
Kev

Gary Herrmann
02-21-2008, 12:11 AM
I've had a woodhaven deluxe for quite awhile. Very happy with it. That said, my TS has a channel for the washer on the bottom of the bar of my gauge. My BS doesn't - so I don't use it on both.

glenn bradley
02-21-2008, 12:33 AM
I reach for my V27 more often than the others. I picked up the telescoping fence that comes on the more expensive versions direct from Incra for a very good price to add to the versatility. I also skip the t-slot washer although my TS, and RT both will accept it. I just find it more bother than benefit. Funny because it seems like such a good idea on paper.

Lance Norris
02-21-2008, 1:15 AM
I have 2. An Incra 1000se and Incra V27. I use the 1000se for everything, the V27 is collecting dust. Its not that the V27 is bad, I just really like the 1000se. If I didnt have the 1000, the V27 is a great miter gauge for the money.

Kev Godwin
02-21-2008, 1:55 AM
Lance,
I'm curious how you obtained both the V27 and the 1000SE. Did you upgrade from the V27 due to lack of performance? Or, did you get both at the same time and found the V27 lacking in bells-and-whistles? With the fences and stops I've made, I get great performance from the small cost V27. However, the 1000SE sure looks to offer great options between the fixed steps and miter range. Just asking since I don't have that model....
Kev

Lance Norris
02-21-2008, 12:49 PM
I bought the v27 first. Then I needed the ability to cut 67-1/2 degree angles for a flag case, and I liked the fence on the 1000se because I wondered about getting a flat wooden fence and it staying flat over time. I happened upon a great deal for the 1000se($99) so I bought it

Doug Shepard
02-21-2008, 1:02 PM
IMO you probably dont want one, but two. The things you want on a TS miter gauge such as long cuttof fences with extensions, very exact angle settings, and possibly work holddowns just get in the way or are a bit useless on a BS. Plus there's the real probability that the miter slot widths are just a smidgen different so the miter bar adjusters would have to be snugged or loosened moving it back and forth. I'm currently using an Incra V27 on the BS but dont think it's necessarily the best tool for use on the TS. Plus it slides silky smooth through my MM16 slot, but will hardly move through the PM66 slot without adjustment. Even though it's more accurate that my JDS TS miter gauge I still use the JDS for that. One of these days I'll upgrade the JDS to an Incra or Jessem, but that buy would still be too big for the BS.

Bill White
02-21-2008, 1:08 PM
Just bought the Incra 1000SE. Looks like it will be a good fit for my needs.
Bill

Mike Spanbauer
02-21-2008, 1:13 PM
I just sold my favorite miter gauge of all time. The Benchdog unit. I'm hopeful that with the acquisition of Benchdog by Rockler that they may revisit and rerelease the miter gauge

mike

Wayne Cannon
02-22-2008, 12:15 AM
IMPORTANT NOTE: The Woodhaven Deluxe and the Incra miter gauges are too wide to use on a typical 14" bandsaw (e.g., Jet, Delta, etc.). The Kreg is narrower and has all of the benefits of the Woodhaven Deluxe.

I like the Woodhaven Deluxe miter gauge (http://www.woodhaven.com/Category.asp?Id=49) for most operations (the Kreg is almost an exact copy). It's lightweight, accurate, flexible, and can also be adapted for just about any special setup I need with alternate T-track/MDF fences. Lots of Woodhaven, Kreg, and third-party jigs (e.g., box joint jig, right-angle fence), stops, etc., work with Woodhaven's (and Kreg's) miter gauges. I like the Osborne EB-3's excellent support for long work from it's diagonal brace.

I also have an Incra 1000SE but never use it. It's just not as well-designed, in my opinion. It is very heavy (the Osborn is also heavy). It has lots of sharp edges. It requires a hex wrench for many adjustments (compared with knurled thumb-nuts for the Woodhaven and Kreg), and the telescoping fence extension has a design flaw. There is no added benefit for almost any operation that compensates for these negatives, in my opinion.

Incra's guide-bar width adjustment is easier than Woodhaven's (and Kreg's), but it's a one-time adjustment.

Lance Norris
02-22-2008, 1:39 AM
I also have an Incra 1000SE but never use it. and the telescoping fence extension has a design flaw.

What design flaw would you be talking about?

Wayne Cannon
02-22-2008, 8:40 PM
There is no stop for the telescoping portion of the fence. If the guide rods extend past their clamp "plates", they are a pain to restore again. This same design makes it difficult to switch the fence extension from one end to the other.

Wayne Cannon
02-22-2008, 9:02 PM
One responder uses the Incra V27 with a bandsaw. The clearance between the steel horizontal detent plate of the 1000/1000SE or the aluminum plate of the Woodhaven Deluxe and the blade is miniscule to non-existent on a typical 14" bandsaw. Most of Incra's recent miter gauges appear to have the same detent plate. On further examination (of photographs), the detent plate of the V27 looks like it may be slightly narrower -- even 1/8" narrower would provide plenty of clearance. The truncated sides of the Kreg creates plenty of clearance.

Bob Genovesi
02-22-2008, 9:06 PM
I bought this one 5 years ago and it's the best addition to my table saw next to Woodworker 2 blade...

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/Accumain_02.gif

Wayne Cannon
02-22-2008, 9:10 PM
MY BAD! The fence extension problem is with the Osborn EB-3, NOT the Incra 1000SE.

If you don't mess with it, it works fine. The clamp "plates" only engage a few threads of the tightening screws. I've been a little overly aggressive in loosening the clamps on several occasions, and have then had to spend time fishing the nut/plate back onto their respective screws (more difficult than the typical flat nut used for T-track jigs).

Peter Quinn
02-22-2008, 10:21 PM
JDS accumiter here for TS. Built like a tank, stays accurate. I like it. Odly the stock miter on my PM 14" BS serves all my needs. Just curious, what are people doing with their bandsaws that you need incra accuracy on miters?

Jim Heffner
02-23-2008, 12:10 AM
I need a new miter guage, ideally shared between my TS and BS. Got any suggestions?
My favorite one is the one I use all the time....Incra V-27. Hard to beat,
reliable, easy to set up, and is very well made. Cost less than $60.00 when I bought it. Jim Heffner

Brian Dormer
02-23-2008, 12:52 PM
Can't beat the Incra V27 on accuracy and Price. If you need more bells and whistles - look at the 1000SE.

Matt Meiser
02-23-2008, 2:06 PM
I love my Incra 1000se.

Cody Colston
02-23-2008, 2:29 PM
Just curious, what are people doing with their bandsaws that you need incra accuracy on miters?

I was wondering the same thing.

I use the EB-3 on the tablesaw and the stock Grizzly miter on my band saw.

Doug Shepard
02-23-2008, 2:34 PM
... Just curious, what are people doing with their bandsaws that you need incra accuracy on miters?

That was my point about exact angle settings being a bit useless for a BS miter gauge. What's the point of 1/10° accuracy when normal blade drift is just going to throw that accuracy out the window/

Paul Fitzgerald
02-23-2008, 3:51 PM
Another vote for the Incra V27. Changing angles is foolproof due to the notches. And I use carriage bolts and nuts to attach different fences.

Paul

Danny Thompson
02-25-2008, 10:51 AM
That Osborne EB-3 looks very interesting. Maybe pair that with an Incra V27 or even something cheaper. Hmmm. Thanks for the advice, one and all.

JayStPeter
02-25-2008, 11:04 AM
I have the Incra 1000SE and like it a lot. I have been considering getting the V27 for the bandsaw. But, I have tweaked the one that came on my saw to cut a perfect 90 and I use the stock one that came on my TS for angles. Both have homemade fences and work fine on the bandsaw, so I haven't bothered to upgrade. YMMV based on bandsaw and TS models and stock miter gauges that came with them. My 17" Grizzly and Unisaw both came with semi-decent miter gauges and just needed some peening to fit the slot in my BS perfectly.

Bill Huber
02-25-2008, 11:25 AM
Another vote for the Incra V27. Changing angles is foolproof due to the notches. And I use carriage bolts and nuts to attach different fences.

Paul

I use T bolts and they really work well on different fences on the V-27.

I bought a T slot cutter for the router and it is so nice for things like that. I have long fences short fences tall ones and shot ones, I guess the question is how many fences do I need.....:D:D

Gary Muto
02-26-2008, 3:41 PM
I have the Incra 100se. I thought it was a lot when I paid $120 for it but it has all but obsleted my miter saw. Totally exceeded my expectation.