PDA

View Full Version : Warranty Registration

Gary Kvasnicka
02-20-2008, 8:54 PM
How many of you fill out warranty registration cards or register online when you buy a new tool?

Why do you? I always thought it was to prevent hassles with lost receipts, and to assure warranty service if and when you need it. I was told by a service center no sales receipt no service. I emailed the manufacturer, their response was to ignore that question and send me the list of all service centers in Virginia and that a receipt would be necessary.

I found my receipt, my tool will get fixed in approx. 3-4 weeks due to backlog. I don't find this service time or the response from my email acceptable. I don't think I will buy this brand again, let me know if I am off base on this. I have had much better service from other tool companies in the past.

Rick Gifford
02-20-2008, 9:02 PM
I believe, by law, registration cards are not required for warranty's to be honored. The company can not try to figure a way to cheat you out of the warranty. Now proving you bought the tool and its within the warranty period is up to you. Thats why they want the receipt. That is standard practice.

They won't take everyones word for it.

I send my cards in.. or fill out online, just to prevent any headache down the road. I also file the receipt.

Filling out the card does give the company a record you own the tool and if its still in warranty.

Plus it lets them add you to their spam mailing list...:rolleyes:

Gary Kvasnicka
02-20-2008, 9:14 PM
Excuse me sometimes I ramble, simply put Why fill out a warranty card if they want a receipt anyway?
I guess I was more put off by the rudeness of the service center personnel and the lack of intelligent response by their "customer service" dept.

Lance Norris
02-20-2008, 9:15 PM
I always staple the receipt to the back cover of the owners manual. Sometimes I register online, but I keep every receipt.

Anthony Whitesell
02-20-2008, 9:34 PM
Ditto. I have NEVER had a company honor a warranty under the guise that " You should know, I sent in the warranty card when I purchased it". On the phone they want the date of purchase and a copy of the receipt in the box with the item when shipped to them. It doesn't matter if it was computer parts, car parts, or tools. The only exception that I have found is for non-powered hand tools (like wrenches, sockets, etc.). All the major manufacturers will exchange them, Craftsman/Sears, Kal, Snap-On, Mac.

I haven't filled out a warranty card in atleast ten years. With the warranty agreement and receipt in hand, I have gotten the item replaced or repaired everytime. The thing that ticks me of the most is when the replacement item isn't new and has obviously been refurbished.

Rick Gifford
02-20-2008, 9:57 PM
Excuse me sometimes I ramble, simply put Why fill out a warranty card if they want a receipt anyway?
I guess I was more put off by the rudeness of the service center personnel and the lack of intelligent response by their "customer service" dept.

You don't need to. Sometimes I don't. Major tools I do though just because I want them to have record so there is less chance of a hassle. I have lost receipts before and they have me on file thanks to the card.

Not every company is the same. Believe me, I am like you, rude representatives boil my blood!

If you keep your receipt, you absolutely do not need to fill out a registration.

Gene Michael
02-20-2008, 10:27 PM
i keep my receipts and the warranty papers in a file together. i don't fill out the warranty cards because it's been my experience that companies sell this info to marketers and the flood of junk mail increases.

Rick Moyer
02-21-2008, 6:34 AM
I always staple the receipt to the back cover of the owners manual. Sometimes I register online, but I keep every receipt.

I like this idea! I tend to save the receipt then forget where I put it.

James Suzda
02-21-2008, 7:46 AM
If you do send in the warranty card do not answer the extra questions that ask your income, age, magazines, etc. This gives the company a bunch of info about you that can be used for data mining.

All you need is your name, address, and the tool info.
One thing you can be guaranteed is that you will get a bunch of junk mail after you send in your card. ;)

Tom Esh
02-21-2008, 8:03 AM
Never. As others have noted, it's uneccessary and guarantees you continue to receive spam and junk mail.