PDA

View Full Version : Lunar Eclipse Tonight

Greg Just
02-20-2008, 8:21 PM
Don't forget to watch for the lunar eclipse tonight. It starts in about 20 minutes here in the central time zone. I'll post some pictures later provided the clouds stay away

Joe Pelonio
02-20-2008, 10:14 PM
We just got back from a walk. All of the sky is perfectly clear, except for the east southeast where the moon is supposed to be!

Greg Just
02-20-2008, 10:36 PM
here are a couple of pictures of the eclipse

Joe Pelonio
02-20-2008, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the pics. I finally got to see it, the clouds cleared when it had gone
back to about 80%.

Greg Just
02-20-2008, 11:16 PM
I'm done taking pictures for this eclipse. It is -4 outside right now!

Don Abele
02-20-2008, 11:41 PM
It's 11 degrees here. I have 2 more pics to take. I've been taking them every 15 minutes to put together a time-lapse compilation. Here's the one from 2003:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=3002&d=1068400651

Since my last photo will be at 12:09 when it ends, I'll put the compilation together in the next day or two.

Be well,

Doc

Chad Voller
02-21-2008, 10:44 AM
LOL, ahh, the 2003 eclipse. I think I remember that one. I was heading home from night school, and Interstate 494 was closed, so I had to take a detour. Then I saw that the moon was receiving the eclipse. Next thing you know, I was lost because I never took my exit since my eyes were on the moon the whole time. Took me over an hour to find out where the heck I was.

Country boy in the city = lost.

Did you guys by chance also see any sign of the missle launch, satellite destruction last night? I'm not sure where it was launched and if it was even visible to the midwest.

Aaron Koehl
02-21-2008, 11:01 AM
It's 11 degrees here. I have 2 more pics to take. I've been taking them every 15 minutes to put together a time-lapse compilation. Here's the one from 2003:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=3002&d=1068400651

Since my last photo will be at 12:09 when it ends, I'll put the compilation together in the next day or two.

Be well,

Doc
Don, that's great! Thanks!

Unfortunately, it was snowing and cloudy here last night..

Dennis Peacock
02-21-2008, 11:10 AM
Don, that's great! Thanks!

Unfortunately, it was snowing and cloudy here last night..

Snow?...........snow?..........I'd better look that one up on Wikipedia. :rolleyes:

Nice pics of the eclipse. :cool:

Michael Gibbons
02-21-2008, 12:34 PM
Snow?...........snow?..........I'd better look that one up on Wikipedia. :rolleyes:

Nice pics of the eclipse. :cool: Yes, Dennis, snow is frozen water that takes on a star-like crystalline structure that causes one agony when it needs to be scraped off your windsheild before you can drive anywhere and makes driving miserably slow and dangerous. If you want, you can come up and I'll give you a crash course ( so to speak) in "deep-snow-automobile-handling-watch out-for-other-jerk-off-drivers-get-unstuck-from-snowbank-call-police-to-make-report-for-insurance-company" ettiquite.:D

Don Abele
02-21-2008, 9:34 PM
OK, here's the compilation of the photos from last nights eclipse. There were a lot to go through. Every 15 minutes I shot a series of photos using different exposures and settings (8 in each group).

I used my Canon 40D with a 400mm lens mounted on a tripod.

I've also attached a plain shot of just the moon. I've only had this camera outfit for a couple of months and I'm really impressed with it. The shot of the moon is really sharp, given it was not taken with a telescope.

The final pic absolutely AMAZES me. It's a shot of Saturn! :eek: After shooting at 400mm I blew the area up in Photoshop to 200x and this is what I got. They had been talking about how bright Saturn would be during totality and how easy it would be to find. I guess I found it!

Be well,

Doc

Ken Fitzgerald
02-21-2008, 10:04 PM
Great photos Doc! The one where the moon looks orange is how it appeared when we came out of a restaurant from celebrating 3 family member's birthdays last night. I wish I had thought of getting my wife's new camera and shooting some photos!

Keith Starosta
02-22-2008, 6:32 AM
WOW!!! I can't believe how clearly Saturn is visible at 200%! That's a great camera, Doc.....and a great picture, too.

- Keith

Glenn Clabo
02-22-2008, 6:40 AM
Nice work Doc...love the Saturn shot.

Richard M. Wolfe
02-22-2008, 10:28 AM
Great shot of Saturn, Doc.

I went outside and took a look about at the starting time. Light clouds and very fuzzy. Oh, well, I've seen a lunar eclipse before. Went back in the house and just about forgot it. Something triggered my memory so went back outside later....the clouds had cleared and I caught it at totality. Temps were about 65 that evening so I hung around and watched for a bit. :)

Now if I can make it till 2017 (if memory serves) then maybe I can catch the total solar eclipse. I've seen a partial and a total would be something awesome.