PDA

View Full Version : Bonu$ day (Router Recomendations)

Michael Ballent
03-11-2004, 3:20 PM
Bonuses came today and SWMBO has let me spend some of it on some goodies. Looking to the SMC community for some input on either the PC 890 series plunge/fixed kit or the DeWaltDW618B3 plunge/fixed/d-handle kit. Both are about the same price. I know that the 890's are pretty new so not sure how many people have had a chance to play with one yet. I currently have a Fein RT-1800 3.5hp plunge router (apparently I am the only owner of one out there ;) ) Looking for something for handheld work, the other works well hand held, just looking for something lighter...

-Michael

Chris Padilla
03-11-2004, 4:12 PM
PC is a mainstay router...I have all the goodies from the 690 series and it has served me well. I wouldn't even hesitiate to get the 890. My router table houses a 7518 permanently. Those are the only two routers in my shop but I have a Cisco one upstairs.... :D

Keith Weber
03-11-2004, 4:12 PM
Hi Michael,

You might also consider the Bosch 1617EVS kit with both the plunge and fixed bases. I can't say enough good things about mine. I have the 2hp one, but the new ones are now 2 1/4 hp. It has a variable speed, soft start and IMHO the plunge base grip feel is great. The rotating depth stop is also very well designed. I leave the fixed base on my router table plate. The depth-adjustment knob on it is very easy to use and accurate for router table applications. If I had to do it over again, I would buy the exact same router. The only thing that I would do differently is to put the money I spent on the Bosch Edge Guide toward a MicroFence. The Bosch is OK, but I find it finicky to adjust.

Keith