PDA

View Full Version : 1.5 or 2.0 lens for photographs?

Sue Mart
02-20-2008, 6:51 PM
I purchased another universal laser specifically for doing photographs and a varity of other things in my shop. I have decided to purchase Photograv 3.0 and Adobe Photoshop Elements in the hopes that it will be easy to create really good images. While investigating websites, it appears that I should have a 1.5 lens (HPDFP lens is not an option.) Since both my lasers have 2.0, it seems my sales rep didn't hear me say I want to do photos. I can probably push the issue and get an exchange but before I do so...Should I use the 1.5 for best results? Thanks, Sue

James Stokes
02-20-2008, 7:19 PM
The 2.0 lens will be plenty good for the photographs. I all most never use my 1.5 lens. With the 1.5 you have to be in perfect focus, the 2.0 you can get away with more.

Larry Bratton
02-20-2008, 7:40 PM
I purchased another universal laser specifically for doing photographs and a varity of other things in my shop. I have decided to purchase Photograv 3.0 and Adobe Photoshop Elements in the hopes that it will be easy to create really good images. While investigating websites, it appears that I should have a 1.5 lens (HPDFP lens is not an option.) Since both my lasers have 2.0, it seems my sales rep didn't hear me say I want to do photos. I can probably push the issue and get an exchange but before I do so...Should I use the 1.5 for best results? Thanks, Sue
Sue:
I get very good results with my 2.0 lens. Photograv software is probably the best item in this equation for photos. I use the full version of Photoshop CS for color correction and the like. I usually take a color photo into PS and correct it, then convert it to greyscale, then import into PG. Photograv 3.0 will do this for you, but I like the PS process better than just letting PG do it automatically. Just seems like I get better results that way.
Good luck!

Scott Shepherd
02-20-2008, 8:06 PM
Depends what you plan on putting photographs on. Most all the demos out there that look really detailed are done with the 1.5 lens. For instance, if you look at the photos you see on Alumamark materials, like the Dalmation, etc. I do believe I was told that they were all done with the 1.5 lens. I also seem to recall the manufacturer as well as the photograv people mentioning that the 1.5 will give the best detail.

That goes back to the question, photographs on what? Will they be little, medium, large, on what materials? I'd guess that things like wood and granite would see little to no improvement, while things like Alumamark will be much sharper.

Richard Rumancik
02-21-2008, 10:20 AM
I wouldn't send the 2" lens back, but maybe look out for a deal on a 1.5" lens.

I don't use my 2" lens for photos or fine graphics. The dot size is .005" while the 1.5" lens is .003". If you use the 2" lens there is not much point in trying high-resolution photos or graphics - it may be okay for 300 dpi and lower. At 300 dpi your space between dots is .0033 so a .003 dot will fill the gap. If you use a .005 dot at .0033" pitch you will get overlap. That is not necessarily bad, but at 600 dpi will will get considerable overlap so I don't think the lens would be suitable for this. I do some small logos and text which would not be possible using the 2" lens.

Start with what you have and you can get going with the 2". I think you would find a use for both lenses.

Some people don't do anything above 300 dpi - you need to test youself and see what looks good to you.