PDA

View Full Version : A call for curtains???

Allen Neighbors
02-20-2008, 5:20 PM
For two days I've been coring some large elm bowls, and just shaping the outside to get ready to core, I had to stop 3 times today, and twice yesterday to clean up my mess. Shavings were all over the shop, even to the back wall, which is 20 feet away. There's a bench model Vicmarc VL100 under those blue rags.
I'm thinking about making some vinyl curtains to hang around my lathe, that will roll up out of the way by pulling on a rope. I'm looking for ideas.
Just curious... what do you do to keep the shavings contained to the area of your lathe? Do you do anything?

Ken Fitzgerald
02-20-2008, 5:22 PM
Allen....my wife and my neighbor's wife have been insisting on curtains in my shop.....Ain't gonna happen. I'll shovel....thank you!:rolleyes:

Chris Fierro
02-20-2008, 5:51 PM
You could use very inexpensive shower curtain liners--the ones that are semi-translucent are about $6.

Jerry Pittman
02-20-2008, 6:05 PM
Allen,
I found that the rest of my shop got too dirty when I turned. My setup is to suspend visqueen, floor to ceiling, around the area that I turn in. I also have the air intake end of my JDS air filter in that space that runs the whole time I'm turning and for an hour afterwards. I have a dust collector 'funnel' that I use when sanding as well. Obviously, the visqueen doesn't make an airtight seal, like hard walls would, so the area gets cross flow air movement(but the area is still a slight low pressure area) when the air filter &/or the DC are running.
Since I set this up, the rest of my shop is soooo much cleaner! I had gotten to the point that I had to vacuum off EVERY surface and tool, etc. because of the heavy covering of 'turning residue'. It's amazing how far some of those curlys from bowl tuirning will travel!
HTH
Jerry

Steve Schlumpf
02-20-2008, 6:40 PM
Allen - I have a basement shop and have a large canvas painter's drop cloth hung from the ceiling that I use to keep the shavings from going everywhere. Works well and concentrates the shavings to only the area surrounding the lathe.

Allen Neighbors
02-20-2008, 8:45 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, all. Her Majesty says the shower curtain liner sounds good, pricewise.
Jerry Pittman, what is 'visqueen'? Her Majesty wants to know.

I have to keep in mind that I need to have some air flow going all the time in the summer, so that means that I'll probably have to leave a gap of about 18" between the curtains and the floor. I do have a homebuilt air cleaner that is right above the lathe, but I keep an exhaust fan going in the end wall of my shop, which is not air-conditioned.

Jim Becker
02-20-2008, 8:49 PM
Honestly, when I am able to get back to turning, I'm considering the same thing. Some inexpensive shower curtains (clear so most of the light is maintained) will help keep the shavings, etc., more contained.

There is actually a tip about this in the most recent email from WOOD Magazine...not that its a new or unique idea. Many turners do this!

Kevin McPeek
02-20-2008, 10:56 PM
Been there, remember to get the shavings off any cast iron. After scrubbing the rust off my lathes, bandsaw and a few other tools. I went and picked up some roll up shades and a few shower curtains. The roll up shades are about $4 at Lowes and I like them for the ease of storage. I have about 6 of them in the shop but they are a little short to hang from the ceiling so I use a shower curtain to cover the bandsaw when I'm roughing green wood. I have them hung in front of the workbench from a shelf over head and under the overhang of the bench top.

Chuck Jones
02-20-2008, 11:00 PM
What's wrong with shavings? :)

Kevin McPeek
02-20-2008, 11:33 PM
Nothing, it's the rust they leave behind. They're great all over the floor, makes it more comfortable to stand.

Jim Underwood
02-20-2008, 11:40 PM
Makes great cat litter too.:D Until you hear that "squish" noise under your foot....

Nope. No animals in my shop. Unless you count the bugs.

I'm contemplating putting up shower curtains too. I wonder if there's a curved rail somewhere that one could purchase?

Maylon Harvey
02-21-2008, 12:40 AM
I use clear polyethelene to let the light in. I have my lathe against a wall so only had to inclose 3 sides. Bent 2 "Curtain rods" out o 1/2 inch EMT. Drilled 3 holes in them, one at each end and one on the bend. Screwed them to the ceiling, leaving them down about a 1/2 inch to leave room for the curtains to slide. Sewed a hem in my poly curtain and threaded it on the conduit. Works great.

Jon Lanier
02-21-2008, 2:08 AM
I don't know about the curtain. But those are some really cool pictures. :cool:

robert hainstock
02-21-2008, 9:49 AM
They are what I use behind my lathe to redirect the fallout. Heavy duty curtains. Try at local charity outle, (salvation army, St Vincents) I got mine for 25c. :)
Bob

Glenn Hodges
02-21-2008, 10:02 AM
My work bench which holds my sharpening grinder is only 2 steps from my lathe. I put up a 1/2 in steel pipe and shower curtains to prevent the table from getting covered with shavings. It works for me.

Jason Hallowell
02-21-2008, 12:20 PM
I guess there's an advantage to my backyard being my workshop after all. I just put the tools back in the storage shed when done, and leave the shavings where they are. I do have to rake once a month or so.

Bob Hampton
02-21-2008, 12:42 PM
try outdoor window coverings got some used one's from a local goodwill ..hung them behind the lathe from the ceiling..just roll up when yur done..works great
Bob

Ted Calver
02-21-2008, 12:56 PM
I use some of the cheapo plastic tarps hung from the ceiling to contain the big stuff. Sanding is another matter entirely--then i use the dc, with a hose positioned right behind the work.

Bill Bolen
02-21-2008, 1:08 PM
When the shavings are set to really fly I just pull down a few cheapo windo shades from a garage sale mounted to the rafters overhead. That way the shavings are free to pile on the floor...Bill...

Ben Gastfriend
02-21-2008, 8:33 PM
I have a big plastic shower curtain that I enclose my lathe in, but if you have DC routed into that area, make sure there's a hole in the curtain so there's somewhere for new air to come in. I know a guy who passed out while turning in a small room, not because he was overcome with dust/fumes, but because he didn't have enough oxygen. Pretty stupid way to have to be carted off to the ER, couldhave just cut a little hole! :confused:

Jerry Pittman
02-21-2008, 8:46 PM
Allen
visqueen is clear plastic sheeting,also referred to later in another post as polyethylene sheeting. It ranges from abut 2 mil(.002") to 8 or 10 mil. The plastic painters drop cloths that we use and throw away are very thin visqueen. The big box stores sell it in various sizes and thicknesses from throw-away painters cloths to 10' or more rolls for construction use.
For all I know, 'visqueen' may be a product name that became a category name like Kleenex did.
Jerry

Allen Neighbors
02-22-2008, 12:42 AM
I really do appreciate all the answers and ideas. Isn't this a wonderful forum?
I think I'm going to opt for some heavy-duty clear plastic for light transmission, and rig it to hang from the ceiling joists (7' 7"). I need to have good air flow also, so if I let it hang down to about 18" off the floor, I can have the airflow I need and still contain the shavings to my lathe area.
A thin strip of wood fastened to the bottom would allow me to just roll it up when I don't need it, and hang it in a loop fixed to the joist.
Thanks again, all. I do appreciate the ideas.