PDA

View Full Version : CHinaberry

Jeff Cremers
02-20-2008, 4:59 PM
I have a neighbor cutting down a Chinaberry tree, well a service doing it. I talked with the one guy that spoke english and he said I could have whatever.
So I'm going to take some of the larger base chunks for turning. Mostly practicing since I still fall under the don't know what I'm doing phase.

My question is
Is Chinaberry good wood?

It should be good enough for me to practice on for sure but just wondering.

Also anybody in Austin, Texas area want some I can seal some up for ya.
Jeff

Steve Schlumpf
02-20-2008, 5:14 PM
Jeff - I don't know a thing about Chinaberry but the price is right - so grab all you can! Make sure you seal the ends ASAP to save the wood from checking until you can turn it. Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

Allen Neighbors
02-20-2008, 5:33 PM
Chinaberry is wonderful wood. It's fairly hard, light-colored, and when green cuts like butter. Pretty much cuts that way when it's dry, too. It has some properties almost like Lignum Vitae, in that it seems to have a built-in lubricant... nothing that gums up your tools... it just makes them cut beautifully!
Chinaberry is susceptible to the same larvae as Mesquite, but they get bigger in Chinaberry than any I've ever seen in Mesquite. So it must be nourishing, too. :)
Cut down through the center, removing and inch or two of the pith, and seal the end grain. I would cut the pieces as long as I could until I get ready to turn it, keeping the half logs out of the elements.
It will also spalt beautifully!
You got a good score! :)

Bernie Weishapl
02-20-2008, 6:24 PM
I agree with Allen. I have turned Chinaberry and it is a excellent wood to turn. I would get all you could. It cuts like butter when green and also turns nicely when dry. Sands and finishes well. I would get as much as I could.

Jeff Cremers
02-20-2008, 9:34 PM
Well, its almost done. I ran out of daylight and gas/oil mix for the chainsaw. Didn't get as much as I would have liked to due to the lack of storage space. (see pics) But I managed to get some of it even though there was a lot more. I also still need to cut some of it up as you can see.
Any tips on those big pieces?

Someone already pm'ed and claimed some. Well thanks for the replys and here are some pics of my humble little small haul, but like someone said "you can't beat the price"
Jeffhttp://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q13/fxst00/IMG_0720.jpg

Jeff Cremers
02-20-2008, 9:35 PM
one more picturehttp://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q13/fxst00/IMG_0719.jpg

Richard Madison
02-20-2008, 9:59 PM
As already mentioned, cut big pieces through the center & remove 1" or so of pith if possible, and coat the end grain. Ever ride that bike toward the Wimberley area? Maybe with a chunk of wood strapped to the back?

Would like to have a piece, but lots of talented turners in Austin, probably lined up outside your door right now. Peek out the window. Get more wood tomorrow. Save a bunch for yourself.

Good score!

Richard in Wimberley

Jim Becker
02-21-2008, 7:49 AM
I've seen folks use chinaberry for turning.

But honestly, you can turn almost anything...and should. This is one of the wonderful things about this particular woodworking vortex...material to work with is everywhere!

Glenn Hodges
02-21-2008, 9:58 AM
Jeff, chinaberry is in the mahogany family. We refer to it as Southern mahogany around here in South Georgia. The color varies from a blond to a deeper blond almost reddish tone. Getting the wood from the base could produce some interesting grain patterns. I have turned a good bit of chinaberry. It is medium hardness, cuts like butter, and would incourage you to try it.

Jeff Cremers
02-21-2008, 4:34 PM
Richard,
What I was talking about is the two big pieces they have a couple center pith areas in them. There is like three center spots in one of the big ones.
So my question is if I get the center part out can I use the rest and do you just dive in and cut where you can to get to the center?
Thanks for all the responses and help guys.
Thanks
Jeff

Richard Madison
02-21-2008, 8:39 PM
Jeff,
The two or three "centers" will be approximately in a straight line, as seen from end of log. Study the log and see if you can make a cut through all three piths in a single cut. This should yield the largest useable pieces and also reveal some interesting grain or figure between piths.

Others, please jump in here if your experience and advice differ. Also each log is different, so what is best for one may not be best for the next one. Usually one is trying to obtain the single largest pith-free section for a turning blank. Hope this is helpful.
Richard in Wimberley

Bobby Perry
02-21-2008, 8:52 PM
I got lots of chinaberry. I don't like it. It is hard in some of the grain then right next to it it is so soft it tears out. All I have turned has been a bugger to turn. It even makes a pretty good looking pen.

Allen Neighbors
02-22-2008, 12:56 AM
If the three pith areas are not in a line, you might pick two of them to slice through, that will leave the largest area of clear wood. Then cut through the last pith, to get the best part of it. Either way, you'll have some interesting grain.
Bobby, when the soft tears out easily, just resharpen, turn up the speed, and take lighter cuts. Give it a try, it might work. :)