PDA

View Full Version : Finishing oak entertainment center first timer

John Padgett
02-20-2008, 4:58 PM
Hello all. I made an entertainment center from kiln dried red oak and need advice on what finish to use (types, brands, etc.) and I need to know how to apply it start to finish.
I know it is probably a lot to type, but I have never finished anything before.
Thanks.
John.

Steve Schoene
02-20-2008, 10:48 PM
Before we can be specific it would help to know a bit more what you hope to end up with. Do you want a natural color oak, or should the color be darker or different. Do you want a finish that looks like there is nothing there--an in the wood finish, or do you want a film covering the surface.

The easiest finish is an in the wood finish with an mix of oil and varnish. It is applied, let to soak in and then vigorously wiped off. With oak, the first couple of coats should not be flooded on, but be applied just enough to wet the surface.

But let us know more about what you want and we can put together a step by step finishing schedule. Posting a picture would be of some benefit.

Joe Chritz
02-20-2008, 11:32 PM
I am assuming you are looking for a wipe on finish of some kind and that you don't have spray equipment.

I have had good success with Waterlox original as a wipe on. I still prefer minwax stains on oak since it is a pigment stain and seem to do pretty well on open grain woods like oak.

Wipe on stain, wipe off excess and let dry several (8) hours. Wipe on waterlox, let dry, scuff sand with a sponge and reapply. Repeat for a few coats, (3-5) then you should be done.

The best description I have heard for a wipe on finish is like a busboy at Denny's. Not wet but not dry, just damp everywhere.

I prefer a film finish on most things so I don't do much in the way of oil finishes usually.

You would apply wipe on poly the same way but for a piece of furniture I much prefer a non-poly wiping varnish. Others will chime in with their favorites, they are all good.

If you want to set up to spray that opens another whole can o' worms so to speak.

Joe

John Padgett
03-06-2008, 4:26 PM
Sorry it took so long to reply. Uncle died and have been out of town. Thanks for the suggestions.