PDA

View Full Version : The chicken or the egg...

Ben Martin
02-20-2008, 4:30 PM
So like the paradox of the chicken and the egg, I pose the question:

Laminate then router, or router then laminate?

I am building my router table and have come to the point where I either need to router the opening for the router plate and miter slot, or laminate the MDF with the Formica and then router. How would I go about doing this? If I router then laminate, then I will have to go back and flush trim the slot and opening, only problem is that they will only be 1/2" deep which I doubt my top bearing flush trim bit can do. I was leaning towards laminating and then routing, I just didn't want this to lead to issues with the Formica chipping on the edges.

(If it helps, I will be using a brand new Whiteside top bearing pattern bit to do the routing, so it will be as sharp as sharp comes...)

Steve Clardy
02-20-2008, 4:52 PM
Lam then router your top

Tim Malyszko
02-20-2008, 5:06 PM
I agree with Steve - Laminate then route. As long as the contact cement set up properly and you didn't miss any spots, you should not have any chipout.

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-20-2008, 6:38 PM
Lam then router your top

What he said. It'll also help you control depth better witt the glue and laminate all in place.

Lee Schierer
02-20-2008, 7:22 PM
I think I would cut the large opening in the MDF first with out the recess for the router plate. Then once the laminate is in place go back with a rabbeting bit and cut the recess for the router plate. That way I could ensure that the opening is the right size and would be able to do any sanding needed to smooth it out on the inside without worrying about the laminate getting damaged.

Rick Gifford
02-20-2008, 8:28 PM
I think I would cut the large opening in the MDF first with out the recess for the router plate. Then once the laminate is in place go back with a rabbeting bit and cut the recess for the router plate. That way I could ensure that the opening is the right size and would be able to do any sanding needed to smooth it out on the inside without worrying about the laminate getting damaged.

I was gonna say that! lol Actually its what I would do to. But I usually take steps to make sure I dont mess up, where other would be more comfortable another way.

I was also thinking, go ahead and router the opening and recess. Laminate with a little overhang, then go back and trim the laminate.

Rick Gifford
02-20-2008, 8:28 PM

I was gonna say that! lol Actually its what I would do to. But I usually take steps to make sure I dont mess up, where other would be more comfortable another way.

I was also thinking go ahead and router the opening and recess. Laminate with a little overhang, then go back and trim the laminate.

Anthony Whitesell
02-20-2008, 9:24 PM
You'll need to laminate first then route or all the depths will be wrong (or atleast VERY difficult to get right). Besides the double sided tape comes off the formica much better than the MDF.