PDA

View Full Version : Spindle turning with right angle holes?

Mark Hubbs
02-20-2008, 3:57 PM
I'm making a lace makers lamp that has a spindle that requires a hole drilled into it at right angles to the center line of the piece. This hole will be used to connect an arm with candle holder.

Can a hole be predrilled into square stock, then turn the spindle? I'm thinking this because it is much easier to get a pricise 90% hole in the flat stock as opposed to drilling it into the competed spindle.

Hope this convoluted question was clear!

Thanks

Mark
Huntsville, AL

Ron Ainge
02-20-2008, 4:11 PM
The answer is yes, but if you want the hole to stay intact I would not use any soft wood because of tear out. I would also be careful with sanding becasue the edge of the hole will sand out faster than the other surfaces.

robert hainstock
02-20-2008, 4:45 PM
:(Yes--Gonna be tricky.:(
Bob

Chris Fierro
02-20-2008, 5:13 PM
Drill the hole while your stock is still square. Then, plug it with an appropriate sized dowel or plug. This will keep tearout from ruining the upper side of the hole as it passes your chisel. You can hot glue that plug into place, but ideally screw it in through a countersunk hole. That way it'll be easier to remove and very secure.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-20-2008, 5:18 PM
Mark,

I think I'd drill while square, plug it. Turn the spindle and then remove the plug.

It's not a whole lot different than turning a bowl or box with an orfice or hole in it. The plug will prevent some tear out.

Good luck!

Allen Neighbors
02-20-2008, 5:40 PM
Good advice from all, I think. Be sure an post some pics when you're finished. I've never seen a Lace maker's lamp.

Scott Donley
02-20-2008, 6:00 PM
Just make sure the hole is dead center, off 1/32 of an inch won't cut it. Make sure the tool is sharp, and no problem.

Bill Stevener
02-20-2008, 6:51 PM
Personally, I would drill the hole when the spindle is finished. More than likely the hole will not be in the center of the spindle when completed if you drill the stock first when it's sq. To many factors involved to have it happen.

Curt Fuller
02-20-2008, 7:34 PM
Personally, I would drill the hole when the spindle is finished. More than likely the hole will not be in the center of the spindle when completed if you drill the stock first when it's sq. To many factors involved to have it happen.

My experience tells me the same thing. Turn it and then make a V-grooved jig to hold it while drilling.

Mark Hubbs
02-21-2008, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the advice from all,

The main spindle I turned and then drilled. I placed it on a V Groove to bore the hole on my drill press. The trick was compensating for the tapered shape of the spindle. I finnally just measued from the center peice of both ends, used a block to elevate the narrow end to make sure both ends of the spindle were the same distance from the bottom of the V.

Lots of room for error in that method. That is why I'm thinking drill first, then turn.

I'll post a pic after I get this finished.

Thanks again

Bill Stevener
02-22-2008, 1:52 PM
Drilling the Sq stock first will be prove to be interesting.
I hope you do show some photos of your results.
I will be watching this thread.