PDA

View Full Version : Computer Desk Design

ken gibbs
02-20-2008, 3:06 PM
Folks,

I am sitting at an old desk I am using to host my desktop computer. It is very uncomfortable and I just realized that I have the skills to make a decent computer desk from scratch. Does anybody know of a good source of designs for computer desks that I might access to get some ideas for a new desk? I don't want to spend $200 at Rockler for hardware so we are talking a simple design with comfortable arm rests and enough space to add drawers to store all of the junk needed to have a functional desktop. Since everybody who is a member at SMC uses computers and most use a desktop, this would be a very useful thread for everybody. Thanks for your help.

Ken Gibbs

Danny Thompson
02-20-2008, 3:20 PM
David Marks makes a nice "Walnut-veneered Computer Desk."

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ww_tables/article/0,2049,DIY_14446_3840426,00.html

Chris Friesen
02-20-2008, 3:42 PM
If you're going to be spending a lot of time at the computer, please consider the ergonomic factors.

Generally the elbows should be close to 90 degrees when typing. For most people, this means that the keyboard needs to be as low as possible over the knees. You also want some room to move the keyboard forward/back to adjust for comfort. The mouse should be at the same height as the keyboard, and just beside it. The monitor should be about arms-length away from the face and the top of the screen should be level with the users eyes. There should be room under the desk for the person sitting at the desk to move their legs around.

I'm a software designer by trade and spend many hours a day at my computer desk. I made my keyboard tray 48" wide, 18" deep, 1" thick and the bottom just grazes the top of my legs when I'm sitting.

John Towns
02-20-2008, 3:56 PM
Plans Now has some decent plans. I have used a few of them and have liked them. Here is a link:

http://plansnow.com/compdesk1.html

If you look, there are other components that may help 'fill out' your overall requirements.

John

Jim Podsedly
02-20-2008, 4:47 PM
Not exactly a computer desk but could easily be converted.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_journal/woodworking/1273336.html

Jim

Curt Harms
02-20-2008, 4:51 PM
Give some thought to where to keep UPS(uninterruptable power supply) surge protector etc. and how you're going to route cables from it to various components. I find cable management a challenge. You might also consider a drawer or two for CD's/DVD's. I agree about the keyboard drawer-mine is also just above my knees. Possibly put a "spine" up the back of the desk and mount an LCD monitor to it(presuming a VESA mount provisions on the monitor) and remove the base to save precious desktop space? I have cabinets over my computer desk and have puck lights under the cabinet which has worked out well. I was able to switch the light that sits in front of the monitor so that I can turn it out while leaving the others on. That cuts down on glare at night.

Good luck with your project, it's fun to design something and have it work like you intended. I find another advantage of DIY is if you think "I should have done X", it may be easy to add or or revise without making it look like an afterthought.

Curt

Lee DeRaud
02-20-2008, 4:59 PM
Chris has some good suggestions on ergonomics, to which I add:

1. Nothing buggers up a computer desk design worse than bad cable routing/management. Figure out how to get all the wires from A to B, then worry about the construction details and materials.

2. Also, put a lot of thought into power distribution: with any decent collection of peripherals, the transformer boxes end up taking up as much room as the system unit (or at least it'll seem like it).

FWIW, I did this (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=21433) thread a couple years back. As I mention, that design is pre-USB and pre-LCD...but I'm still using it.:cool:

(Oh, and that desk David Marks built? Absolutely gorgeous...until you put a computer on it.:eek: But at least it's better-looking than the equally-useless one Norm did.:p)

josh bjork
02-20-2008, 5:44 PM
If you're going to be spending a lot of time at the computer, please consider the ergonomic factors.

Generally the elbows should be close to 90 degrees when typing. For most people, this means that the keyboard needs to be as low as possible over the knees. You also want some room to move the keyboard forward/back to adjust for comfort. The mouse should be at the same height as the keyboard, and just beside it. The monitor should be about arms-length away from the face and the top of the screen should be level with the users eyes. There should be room under the desk for the person sitting at the desk to move their legs around.

I'm a software designer by trade and spend many hours a day at my computer desk. I made my keyboard tray 48" wide, 18" deep, 1" thick and the bottom just grazes the top of my legs when I'm sitting.

I used to type a lot so I'll echo chris's thoughts. I haven't seen many ergonomic desks. The keyboard tray needs to be wide. The mouse needs to be the easiest thing to use for most people, not the keyboard. There is too much emphasis on "looking like a desk" and storage that often counteracts anything comfortable. A footrest in the back is a handy thing.

Roy Hatch
02-20-2008, 5:57 PM
Ken, I was searching a few months ago for a computer desk and after looking at many, I found this one. I bought the plans and some cherry stock and started. I'm about 90% done and stalled with the cold weather. I keep waiting for the sunshine to inspire me and complete the project. This came from Fine Woodworking:

Lee Schierer
02-20-2008, 7:17 PM
Here's one that I made! It is pretty basic and made mostly of oak plywood. As I recall it used less than one sheet. The pull out keyboard shelf is at a good height ergonomically speaking and even has a wrist rest.

http://home.earthlink.net/~us71na/pc_desk.jpg

Thom Sturgill
02-20-2008, 9:17 PM
With flat screens depth of the table is not as critical as it used to be. I am playing with a drop front secretary design that would not have worked with a CRT. Even a roll-top design could be used today if the screen is not too big. As has been said, give thought to cable management and accessories. I have a large (17" inkjet) printer that dominates my current table that I have to consider in my design. I also have a ups, large speakers, etc. under the table that I would like to hide, but enclosing the CPU brings cooling issues. what I would really like to build is a steampunk arrangement that includes an enclosure for the monitor, cpu case and keyboard.

RickT Harding
02-20-2008, 10:42 PM
One big thing I found when I started working from home was that having the monitor elevated really helps me keep better form. That and a higher end chair is well worth it.

Here's a pic of a desk I bought. Unfortunately didn't have time to build, but a replacement is on the todo list. The shelf just 6"-ish off the table is a huge improvement.

Danny Thompson
02-20-2008, 10:53 PM
To each his own . . .

Low keyboards are the "standard" touted by ergonomics experts, but I HATE-HATE-HATE them!!! Keyboard trays have no place on my desk. For me, nothing is better than a keyboard on the desktop, 10-12" from the edge, with my forearms flat on the desk and my hands very close to the keys. Any other way, and my hands and arms ache. This also allows my shoulders and back to remain relaxed (the table holds the weight of my arms).

I like a monitor at or slightly below eye level, I think primarily because of my glasses. I've seen a high monitor be a killer for anyone with bi-focals.

ken gibbs
02-21-2008, 6:57 AM
Danny,

Thanks for your advice. I had to laugh at comment about bifocals and how they change your life. There are certain things that bifocals make awkward including tying on a # 14 parachute Adams dry fly in low light conditions, trying to find your best field of view for making cross cuts on a miter saw, etc. But my granddad (Ike Sites) made the best comment about bifocal glasses that was ever made. He was getting used to his first pair of bifocal glasses and the boys at the gas station asked him how he liked his new glasses. Ike said he was a little bit upset about his new glasses because the first time he went to the bathroom, the "little one" got him all wet.