PDA

View Full Version : Old tools ... a lot of stories ...

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
03-11-2004, 1:39 PM
The fellow I mentioned in my other thread is a 90 year old furniture maker, the father in law of my neighbor. I went over to visit and got a tour of his shop where he still works on making furniture and turns bowls ... at 90+ years! All of the equipment is extremely well used and it was great listening to him talk about it. I want to go spend some more time with him when the weather gets warmer and he can get outside. There's nothing like talking to someone who's been there and done that ... no matter what the subject. Woodworking just adds to the fun.

03-11-2004, 1:43 PM
I wanted to shorten it a little, so here's some more pictures from the visit. Sorry some of the pictures didn't turn out so well. I hope to get better one's next trip. Thanks for looking.

Ron

Tyler Howell
03-11-2004, 2:55 PM
Thanks Ron, Great report.
It just shows to go you. You don't need to have the heaviest Iron or the biggest shop to produce a quality product.

Eric Naessens
03-11-2004, 4:52 PM
Thanks for the pics and report, Ron. It's inspiring to see someone of that age still enjoying his craft. I hope that I, and my work, look that good when I'm his age. :)

Dave Anderson NH
03-11-2004, 7:57 PM
I'm gonna get out of character and be bossy for a while with you. Go out of your way to cultivate and spend time with this man. All the time you can afford and then some. Folks with this level of experience and length of experience are rare and can almost be considered national treasures. In his working lifetime he has seen the transition from craft to factory type work and has forgotten more than you and I are likely to learn in our lifetimes. He has had the benefit of working with the last generations of true hand tool craftsmen produced under the old system. He has so much to teach you can't even imagine. It is up to you to draw him out and absorb as much as you can. Few of us have this opportunity and it can't be wasted. Your responsibility is to make sure as much of this knowledge as possible is passed on to the next generation so it doesn't become lost forever. You have been truly blessed with this opportunity, don't waste it.

03-11-2004, 9:52 PM
Go out of your way to cultivate and spend time with this man. All the time you can afford and then some. Folks with this level of experience and length of experience are rare and can almost be considered national treasures. He has so much to teach you can't even imagine. It is up to you to draw him out and absorb as much as you can. Few of us have this opportunity and it can't be wasted. Your responsibility is to make sure as much of this knowledge as possible is passed on to the next generation so it doesn't become lost forever. You have been truly blessed with this opportunity, don't waste it.

I do indeed intend to spend a lot of time with this gentleman. Fortunately for me, he only lives a ten minute drive away. He is still very spry for his age and enjoys turning. Granted, he turns a little thicker now than he used to, but he still has the eye for a good looking bowl. I took him some blanks over when I went this time, and I'll supply him with more each time I go. His SIL worked with him for years and he's teaching (or trying to) me to make flat stuff.