PDA

View Full Version : To cut rabbets - what tool should I get?

Jeff Craven
02-20-2008, 1:33 PM
I'm building a blanket chest and I need to cut a rabbet for the bottom (3/4" x 3/8"). I was considering getting either:
A LV medium shoulder plane,
A LV router plane, or
A LV plough plane.I'm guessing the shoulder plane will cut quickly and efficiently, but then I wouldn't be able to make stopped rabbets very easily. I could make through rabbets on this project, because they will get covered by the plinth, but I want a tool that is versatile. With the router plane, I would have to define the sides with a chisel and use the router plane to smooth the bottom. So that may require more work, but the router plane could be used in more applications. If I used a plough plane, would I have to define the sides? Can you cut stopped rabbets with the plough?

Chris Padilla
02-20-2008, 1:35 PM
Dado blade? ;)

Jeff Craven
02-20-2008, 1:42 PM
Dado blade? ;)
I don't think I could safely cut a stopped rabbet with the table saw. :o

Robert Rozaieski
02-20-2008, 1:56 PM
The traditional tool for cutting rabbets is a rabbet/fillester plane. They came in wooden versions with fence (called a moving filletster) and without fence (simply called rabbet plane and available in various widths) and also in metal versions like the Stanley #78. The only currently manufactured version I'm aware of is the ECE wooden moving fillester. Anant may have a #78 a like but I'd be suspect of their quality.

Jim Koepke
02-20-2008, 2:31 PM
To cut rabbets - what tool should I get?
I'm building a blanket chest and I need to cut a rabbet for the bottom (3/4" x 3/8"). I was considering getting either:
A LV medium shoulder plane,
A LV router plane, or
A LV plough plane.
I'm guessing the shoulder plane will cut quickly and efficiently, but then I wouldn't be able to make stopped rabbets very easily. I could make through rabbets on this project, because they will get covered by the plinth, but I want a tool that is versatile. With the router plane, I would have to define the sides with a chisel and use the router plane to smooth the bottom. So that may require more work, but the router plane could be used in more applications. If I used a plough plane, would I have to define the sides? Can you cut stopped rabbets with the plough?

I recently cut a stopped dado in cedar using a chisel and a router plane to clean up the bottom. It worked wonderfully.

For a rabbit, I would likely use something like a Stanley 45 or my Record version of the Stanley 78. Either way, it may be necessary to clean up with a chisel.

There are a few ways to do this. It all depends on what tools you have on hand or which one SWMBO will let you buy.

Jim

What we need is more people who specialize in the impossible.
--Teddy Roosevelt

Danny Thompson
02-20-2008, 2:53 PM
Dado blade? ;)

Somebody get a rope!

Chris Padilla
02-20-2008, 3:02 PM
Somebody get a rope!

...or a POWER cord.... ;)

Sam Yerardi
02-20-2008, 3:22 PM
I'm with Jim on this one - STANLEY 45. If you don't have one - try to find one. I love mine. I have some rabbet planes (wood ones) and I use them but the Stanley is such a nice tool to use once you get familiar with it. It is superb for rabbets.

Bob Smalser
02-20-2008, 3:26 PM
Stanley 78, Record 078 or Millers Falls 80. No need to spend any more than 30 bucks.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/9139397/127231191.jpg

And I cut stopped rabbets with a Skill or Table Saw and a chisel regularly.

Pedro Reyes
02-20-2008, 3:37 PM
A 45 for a rabbet is like painting a 3 inch square with a spray gun, more work needed to set it up than anything else, overkill.
A 78 will do better and much easier to use and set up. For the stopped portion use chisels.

/p

Sam Yerardi
02-20-2008, 3:42 PM
I have to disagree on the 45 :). It's really not that difficult to set up but it's just what I've grown accustomed to. I don't have another rabbet plane except for the 1" wooden plane I've got and I'd like to have one like you suggest but the Stanley 45 works for me.

James Mittlefehldt
02-20-2008, 3:44 PM
If in fact you have all three of the planes you listed I would use the plough/plow plane. just drill a hole at each end of the rabbet and have at it.

Dado blade indeed!!!

Jeff Craven
02-20-2008, 3:45 PM
...or a POWER cord.... ;)
Isn't this the Neanderthal Haven? :p

And I cut stopped rabbets with a Skill or Table Saw and a chisel regularly.On the table saw, do you lower it onto the piece, push it through and lift it off? The piece is 40" x 18" x 3/4", so that didn't seem safe to me.

But a nice cheap 78 sounds like a good compromise for me.

James Carmichael
02-20-2008, 3:56 PM
Router and a chisel:-)

Dave Anderson NH
02-20-2008, 4:00 PM
Several comments on cutting a rabbet. A shoulder plane will work, but is extremely slow since it is designed to take thin shavings and will clog if you try to go heavy. A rabbet plane like the Stanley #78 is fine if you're right handed, but while I can make mine work, it goes out of adjustment often because I knock it while trying to use it left handled. My record 044 is a lot easier to use as is my Stanley #45. A moving fillester woody is the easiest of all to use for me.

It's conspiracy I tell you, a conspiracy!! Almost all of the hand tools are made for your right handed folks. A pox on you all. :p Don't worry folks, I'm going to take my medication now.

Circa Bellum
02-20-2008, 4:13 PM
Several comments on cutting a rabbet. A shoulder plane will work, but is extremely slow since it is designed to take thin shavings and will clog if you try to go heavy. A rabbet plane like the Stanley #78 is fine if you're right handed, but while I can make mine work, it goes out of adjustment often because I knock it while trying to use it left handled. My record 044 is a lot easier to use as is my Stanley #45. A moving fillester woody is the easiest of all to use for me.

It's conspiracy I tell you, a conspiracy!! Almost all of the hand tools are made for your right handed folks. A pox on you all. :p Don't worry folks, I'm going to take my medication now.

Wow, they have medication for being left handed now? What will they think of next...

Pedro Reyes
02-20-2008, 4:41 PM

Sorry about your woes, you made me think of something... I have a very nice early type #5, I have not restored, but it was truly a gem when I got it form Ebay, and still is. I could tell that the previous owner took good care of it and used it a lot (the original iron is pretty used, ground). The plane showed signs of being lapped at some point, no drops, no paint, etc, just a nice tool that was very well taken care for.

The handle however, felt weird, after more observation you can barely see, barely, more wear on one side, and even when you look at the tote from the top, it looks a hair pushed to the left... well I grabbed it with my wrong... sorry left hand ;)... and yes, it feels better, it may be my imagination but I believe this was used by a leftie, at least that's what I want to think, that the previous owner was a great leftie woodworker, just what I want to believe...

just thought I'd share

/p

Dave Anderson NH
02-20-2008, 5:36 PM
Hi Pedro,

When I built my Shepherd Tool Spiers #& smoother a few years ago I very slightly canted the tote off to the side about a degree to customize the tool for me. I find it really nice to use. It's really enjoyable to me when a right hander picks it up and says it feels "funny". Simple things amuse simple minds.:D

Jim Koepke
02-20-2008, 11:16 PM

Bench planes can be used either handed.

Since we are talking rabbets, a Stanley 99 is definitely a left hander's plane.

Stanley 45s, type 7 and later, can be set up to use lefty.

What might be good is to practice doing things with the opposite hand.

An injury when I was real young caused me to use my left hand for a long time. Sure I am right hand dominate, but I can write and do a lot of other things left handed. It has even driven some people a little nuts. They see me doing something left handed when they were sure I was right handed. Sometimes it is easier to have some fun with them than to explain. Some people have problems with the ambidextrous. Some people still occasionally ask what ever happened to my left handed twin brother.
It is all I can do to keep from breaking up.

jim

"Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever."
- Napoleon Bonaparte

Ian Wormsbecker
02-21-2008, 9:24 AM
When making the rabbet, do you ride the plane on the edge, or the face?

Pedro Reyes
02-21-2008, 9:59 AM
When making the rabbet, do you ride the plane on the edge, or the face?

The way I understand it, perhaps there is more granularity in terms:

Groove: narrow furrow with the grain
Dado: narrow furrow across the grain (basically a groove across the grain)

Rabbet: can be either with or across as long as it is on an edge or end of a board...

that said, when it is on an end you definitely want the plane's sole riding on the face (otherwise you are cutting endgrain).

If it is a rabbet with the grain, I always do face as well, but depending on circumstances you could do edge if it is easier.

/p

Marc Casebolt
02-21-2008, 12:31 PM
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextruos.:rolleyes:

Barry Anderson
02-21-2008, 5:16 PM
Actually, shouldn't you use a Left or Right Skew block plane with nickers, such as LN sells for this task? I believe it is like the Stanley 140 ...

Barry in WV

James Carmichael
02-21-2008, 5:35 PM
I just picked up a Millers Falls 07 (Stanley 140). The 140 must've been designed by a lefty because for shoulder work, they're bass-ackwards, IMO.

Dwain Lambrigger
02-21-2008, 5:55 PM

I agree, another left hander out west who feels slighted! I want my own tools, my own classes, and a New Left-Handed Yankee Workshop on my PB-Left-Handed-S station.

John O'Neill
02-22-2008, 7:27 AM
I hope that you were not serious about 'dropping a piece of stock onto a moving table saw blade' That would be very dangerous. Use the router / chisel suggestion or anything else.

Jake Darvall
02-22-2008, 7:49 AM
my modified 289. Can't be beat for rabbets in my opinion. cross grain, withgrain, straight down into end grain too.

Seconds the birmingham. (like a stanley 778), when the 289's set and I don't want to change it. forget the nicker though, unlike my 289. Takes too long to set up.

For small rebates I like my small plough.

But for stopped rebates (or any rebates really:rolleyes:) a powered router. With the fence off the left, or off a bearing with a brand new shearing type bits especially. brilliant. And ideally if you can do it in one shot, no plunging. Can get a lot of work done with that setup.

If the rebates small enough I think those little laminate trimmers are just wonderful. So easy to control in your hands.

Definetly have to find my ear muffs though. I only go power though for really crap timber and stopped rebates.

Barry Anderson
02-22-2008, 10:25 AM
You can get the 140 in a left and a right model ... You need the variation depending on the rise/fall of the grain on the edge you are doing the cut ... Planes were a lot cheaper in the ole' days ...

Barry in WV

Don Orr
02-22-2008, 11:58 AM
...remember Lefties have Rights too !:eek::D;).

I like my 78 or a (dare I say it) my powered router.

Pedro Reyes
02-22-2008, 8:34 PM
Actually, shouldn't you use a Left or Right Skew block plane with nickers, such as LN sells for this task? I believe it is like the Stanley 140 ...

Barry in WV

You could use these, but they are very expensive compared to a 78 which was designed for it, and a 78 also has a nicker and does quick work of rabbets. I actually have the RH Lie Nielsen and an old (old) Stanley 78, I prefer the 78 for this task.

The LN is a very nice tool, just easier (for me) to hold the 78.

/p

Louis Rucci
02-24-2008, 9:18 AM
Lee Valley has a Moving Fillister Plane and a Small Plow Plane based on the Record #44.

You may want to check those out.

Jeff Craven
03-02-2008, 10:25 PM
Thanks for all of the helpful replies. I started searching the auction and I acquired this Stanley 78. The picture below that is the rabbet I cut for the bottom of my chest.

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/4627/img8318ke3.jpg
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/4819/img8321hj9.jpg

Jim Koepke
03-03-2008, 3:56 AM
Thanks for all of the helpful replies. I started searching the auction and I acquired this Stanley 78. The picture below that is the rabbet I cut for the bottom of my chest.

Nice acquisition and nice rabbet.

I have the record equivalent a friend gave me years ago. It gets the job done.

jim