PDA

View Full Version : Rec'd 2 Rockler catalogs today, different shipping.

Mitchell Andrus
02-20-2008, 12:54 PM
Two identical catalogs except:

One is addressed to "Mitchell Andrews or current resident", no customer number. There is an offer of free shipping on the cover.

The other is addressed to "Mitchell Andrus", with my customer number. Free shipping is not offered.

So, if I have a relationship with them, I pay shipping and a stranger doesn't???

Justin McCurdy
02-20-2008, 1:02 PM
Wonderful how the world works, isn't it. Sounds very similar to my experiences with cell phone contracts. I have been a customer with one carrier for the past 10 years and every time my contract comes up, I am offered nothing more than Joe Schmo off the street, if I even get that much.

Todd Miranda
02-20-2008, 1:08 PM

So, if I have a relationship with them, I pay shipping and a stranger doesn't???

Quite a common practice in today's market. Satelite companys, Wireless Phone Carriers, Music Services, and many more. All of them offer better prices/service for non-customers to lure them in and screw them in the future. Not something I'm very fond of but the practice is probably very effective to bring in new business.

Todd

Ray Petri
02-20-2008, 1:25 PM
What's the code for free shipping?

Charles Wiggins
02-20-2008, 1:36 PM

One is addressed to "Mitchell Andrews or current resident", no customer number. There is an offer of free shipping on the cover.

The other is addressed to "Mitchell Andrus", with my customer number. Free shipping is not offered.

Todd and Justin are right. That's just the way the retail game is played. The free shipping is the hook for the new customer. If you look at it from Rockler's point of view, shipping is an expense, and they are going to have to pay it, whether you pay it or not. So, if they offer it to every regular customer, they're going to have to raise prices to compensate. Then their prices look cruddy compared to the competition who is still charging shipping.

I almost never pay full price for a tool because I'm willing to wait for it to go on sale and if I can get free shipping on top of that, then I might buy a little more stuff (that's also on sale).

Now if everyone shopped like I do, retailers would soon figure out that customers are only going to buy if it's on sale or a REALLY great deal and that offering free shipping periodically really boosts sales. They'd start looking to make their profits on volume instead of sale by sale.

Dave Sweeney
02-20-2008, 1:37 PM
Yesterday I received a Rockler catalog addressed to me and referencing my customer number. On the cover of the catalog was a banner that stated "FREE SHIPPING on any order! See page 2 for details......". On page two it said that everyone in the USA except Mitchell Andrus is eligible for the free shipping. :D

Gilbert Vega
02-20-2008, 1:39 PM
I've found that long-time service with any company is not valued. I called my communications provider (phone, Tv, internet) and told them I was chaning provider due to the high cost. We talked for a while and they reduced my monthly by over a hundred dollars per month. All it took was to threaten to change provider. They had no problem overchagring me as long as i was willing to pay.

Lance Norris
02-20-2008, 1:46 PM
You will find the same with the magazine companies. I have been a subscriber to Woodsmith for a number of years. Its time to renew and I have been watching for a deal, but nothing good has caught my attention. The other day, My wife gets an offer from them for 1/2 the price they sent me. Well guess what? Woodsmith will now come to her for the next 2 years.:rolleyes:

Jim Becker
02-20-2008, 2:15 PM
Rocker does things like this. When a customer responds to a special offer by using a code, it also tends to remove the "sticky" connection of that customer to a particular affiliate, too...'cause that code goest in the same field as the SID (affiliate) code normally lives in. But in fareness, it's not uncommon for these behaviors in the Internet/mail-order business including the come-ons for free-shipping for new customers, etc.

Mitchell Andrus
02-20-2008, 3:44 PM
HAHAHAHAH Very funny. Hey, they spelled my name right.

Mitchell Andrus
02-20-2008, 3:47 PM
Catalog # is G8-A. Free ship til March 23rd. Cat # G8-B is no free shipping.

John Gregory
02-20-2008, 3:50 PM
I am a Rockler customer and I got a post card offering me free shipping

John W. Willis
02-20-2008, 8:50 PM
I worked several years for a national tele-catalog company and it was mind boggling the number of different offers going to different customers. With us it had a lot to do with demographics and geography and frequency of order, etc.

Not to step on anyone's toes but those marketing people look at things a lot differently than you and I do. I finally gave up on trying to understand and just tried to appease customers calling in with situations like Mitchell's.

Work the system to your advantage.

Rockler has been a very good company for me to deal with.

Peter Quinn
02-20-2008, 9:14 PM
I get so many e-mails for free shipping from Rockler its unreal. I'm guessing the multi-tier marketing people, who may or may not be a sub for Rockler, use industry standard practices for catalogue marketing. Having recently dealt with Rockler's tech/customer service department to resolve a product issue I can say they are very good and very responsive, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again. Sign up for their email flyers and you may never pay shipping again!

Craig D Peltier
02-20-2008, 9:52 PM
I got two today two, first time thats happened. Different covers.

Mitchell Andrus
02-21-2008, 8:20 AM
Rockler has been a very good company for me to deal with.

Me too!

(Me too!) is too short to post so here's some filler. You didn't need to read this, it's just here 'cause my post would have been too short .... so....

I'll try this aga