PDA

View Full Version : Combining Lacewood With.....what?

Keith Starosta
02-20-2008, 11:14 AM
I know this is a very subjective question, but I bring it to you folks anyway. I'm hoping to start a project where the primary material will be lacewood. I've never used it before, so I'm looking for suggestions on what might be a nice looking secondary wood, something that complements the color and figure of the lacewood.

Thanks very much!!

- Keith

Steve knight
02-20-2008, 12:12 PM
purpleheart works pretty well. I have made several bubinga and lacewood planes and they were very nice.

Jeffrey Makiel
02-20-2008, 12:21 PM
I was thinking about cherry since lacewood is kind of pink-ish tan color. Maybe walnut too for a real nice contrast.
-Jeff :)

Ted Calver
02-20-2008, 12:46 PM
Are you talking secondary wood, as in drawer sides and framing, or secondary wood as in drawer pulls or other small accent pieces? Ebony and Bloodwood have worked for me as accents on small boxes.

Doug Shepard
02-20-2008, 12:57 PM
Something dark. Walnut, Makore, Imbuya, etc.

Glenn Clabo
02-20-2008, 1:00 PM
Keith,
I've seen some awesome furniture made with Lacewood and Maple. Cherry also works...and is the way I'm going with a small table for a bathroom...that I'm brainstorming.

Keith Starosta
02-20-2008, 1:01 PM
Thanks, guys. I think I've made my mind up to use some walnut that I have.

The lacewood will be used for the top tray portion of a Mark Singer inspired tray...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=60240&highlight=tray

I'll use the walnut for the feet and through tenons.

- Keith

Jim Becker
02-20-2008, 2:18 PM
Tiger maple....finished "light"... :)

Remember, the walnut will get lighter over time to a golden brown. It may not contrast as well at that point. Folks always think that walnut is a "dark" wood. It is, but not forever....

Brandon Shew
02-20-2008, 8:50 PM
Either something light like maple or holly or something dark like wenge.

Peter Quinn
02-20-2008, 9:18 PM
Wenge man...lacewood and wenge!