PDA

View Full Version : Are kids allowed in your shop?

Jim Broestler
02-20-2008, 10:44 AM
Just finished reading the latest issue of Popular WW. The last page is an article about a guy who's breaking in a new companion for his shop - a dog. Which led me to think about a somewhat different thought: kids in the shop...

I have a two year old daughter, and since I'm usually watching her during the day (I work 2nd shift), that means that if I want to do any work in the shop and still keep an eye on her, I often keep her with me there. I've gotten some raised eyebrows when I mention this. I can understand this. After all, a shop is a place filled with sharp objects, lots of electricity, heavy objects, and tools/machinery capable of serious injury or death. So I can grasp the hesitation of allowing a small child to hang out there. Even with me there, if I'm trying to work on something, it can be hard to pay adequate attention to what she's doing (like sneaking up and getting ready to hit the start button on the TS while I'm changing blades, for instance). For this reason, I've tried to put almost all of my tools out of reach, remove keys in paddle switches or unplug equipment not in use or being adjusted, etc. So far there haven't been any problems.

I guess the point of this is, I enjoy having my daughter there with me. I figure she's going to grow up knowing her way around a shop, and in a way it's investing in a future generation of woodworkers. I didn't get to spend much time in my dad's shop, though it wasn't really a wood shop, per se. Mostly just a place to keep tools and a basic worktable. What time I did get to spend in it was from sneaking in there, which usually resulted in a big mess and butt chewing, though thankfully no injuries. I suppose I decided I wanted my kids to have a little more exposure. Of course, having my kid there means there are times she just can't be in there (when a lot of dust or machine noise requiring ear protection is being generated is another example). But I also figure that it's like raising kids in a home that has guns in it. You control access, expose them to the rules and skills of handling firearms gradually, as they're able to handle each level, and usually that results in kids who are far less prone to injury or worse than the curious but clueless counterpart. Being two, my daughter can't do much other than hold screws for me or fetch a dropped tool or workpiece, but she loves it just the same. She also loves scattering the sawdust all over the place, but that's okay. It just means I went out and got her a little kiddie broom with a happy face on it that makes noises when she sweeps.

So I'm curious about the rest of you...do you allow your kids/grandkids in your shop while you're working? At what age do you draw the line? Did you have a dad/grandpa/uncle (aunt/grandma?) that raised you in sawdust, and what was that like? Just wondering if I'm as off my rocker as a few have implied.

Peter Quadarella
02-20-2008, 10:59 AM
I guess every shop and every kid are different. My shop is somewhat cluttered and I wouldn't dream of letting my kids (2.5 year old son, 1.5 year old daughter) in there. My son would be climbing the drill press and flinging CS blades, and my daughter would be eating the screws. I also wouldn't let them anywhere near my guns, which are locked up in a safe.

I figure when they are about 5, when they know how to listen and pay attention better, I will introduce them to both.

Greg Heppeard
02-20-2008, 11:12 AM
My grandpa was a journeyman carpenter and I started hanging around his shop when I was old enough to hold up a hammer. My fondest memories are of asking him to knock the nails back through the scrap board that I had put about a hundred nails in. He was probably my main influence in my love for woodworking. My father had an auto shop in the garage, so I got my love for grease from him...sawdust is much easier to clean off.

I learned to respect power tools and hand tools because of them. I still have all my fingers, by the way.

Thanks for jolting that 50 year old memory back to life.

PS. I grew up on a farm around all kinds of machinery and guns. I wouldn't trade my childhood for anything.

Grant Davis
02-20-2008, 11:13 AM
My kids are teenagers and they know from being around me in the past that I do not like others in the shop while I am working. They do sometimes come in and I teach them different things which they actually asked to learn about. Now that my girlfriend has moved in with me I have to contend with her two younger daughters. That is going to be a teaching process for the summer months to come.

Jason Scott
02-20-2008, 11:14 AM
(like sneaking up and getting ready to hit the start button on the TS while I'm changing blades, for instance).
Hopefully the powercord is unplugged so it wouldn't matter right :D

Gary Herrmann
02-20-2008, 11:20 AM
My son comes down sometimes - he's 7. When he's down there and I'm running a powertool and not working with him, he wears ear and eye protection and stays where I tell him. Otherwise, we're working together on something, so no problems so far.

Jim Broestler
02-20-2008, 11:28 AM
Hopefully the powercord is unplugged so it wouldn't matter right :D

It is from now on :eek:. Thing is, the outlet is in a really inconvenient spot, so I've also considered a locking cover for the switch plate. But yeah, that's a common sense rule I've had to remind myself of in recent weeks.

Danny Thompson
02-20-2008, 11:32 AM
If I am using hand tools or small power tools, my solution is to put my smallest (1 1/2) in a large wagon with a couple of toys. My older one (3 1/2) sometimes joins her in the wagon. I also have an open space near the mouth of the "shop" where they can ride their trikes and bikes.

If the heavy power tools are on, they are inside. Period. Not only are those tools dangerous for the kids, but I can't afford the distraction with blades and bits spinning.

JayStPeter
02-20-2008, 11:34 AM
I can deal with my 4 and 8 year old. My 2 year old likes to come in the shop, but I pretty much can't do anything while she's there. She loves to get into things. But, I can setup my 4 year old with a hammer, some nails, and a piece of 2x8 and he's happy for an hour. My 8 year old will harass me the whole time to pay attention to him. They're all different.
I have a cypher type lock on the door to the shop to keep them out when I'm not in there.

Bill Kreussling
02-20-2008, 11:38 AM
My daughter, a teenager, is allowed in my shop. She knows and follows my rules - safety glasses on at all times, tools unplugged and safeties engaged unless they are in use, hearing protection on when using noisy tools, dust mask on when sanding or performing other dusty tasks, face shield on when using a lathe, no jewelery, hair tied back and no loose fitting clothes. Until she was old enough to understand and follow the rules she wasn't allowed in my shop.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-20-2008, 11:41 AM
Kids are encouraged to come into my shop.....with my presence and supervision. They are also taught that any unsupervised attempted use of any tools will result in their immediate and long term expulsion from the shop. My youngest son helped me finish an unfinished basement in our home in the Chicago area when we lived there. Periodically he'll call up ....."Dad I'm laying tile....I'm building an kitchen island....which of the Beatles albums had the song.......which Marshall Tucker Band album did you play when we were finishing that basement.

Encouraged, supervised and taught discipline.

Walt Nicholson
02-20-2008, 11:44 AM
I have 4 grandkids. 3 boys 4, 4 1/2, and 5 and a granddaughter 7. Whenever they come to visit (which is often), the first question is always "granpa, can we go work in your shop?". Everything electrical is either unplugged or safety switched and all sharp and pointy things are well out of reach. I have a couple of old "egg beater" hand drills and their own special set of hand tools (screwdrivers, small hammers, etc.) that they use with the cutoff scraps that I save for them. We have built wooden airplanes, trucks, boats and pine wood derby cars. The time that I have spent with them on these "projects" is more valuable to me than anything I have ever accomplished. I firmly believe that their learning at an early age to create things with their own hands and appreciating the beauty of wood will be way ahead of anything they could ever get from all the gameboys and assorted video games in the world. Carefull supervision is a must, but the rewards are great.

Yun-Fong Loh
02-20-2008, 11:45 AM
I have 2 daughters 4.5 and 7. They come into my shop to watch me work occasionally when I'm using hand tools and I've helped build some kid level projects with them. Early on, I gave them a full run down on the dangers of sharp tools (dropped a chisel on a cardboard box so they know what can happen). They are naturally fearful of power tools and dislike their loudness enough that as soon I show any signs of getting ready to use one, they will leave. I am trying to teach them to channel that fear into respect. Oh, safety glasses always and hearing protection hasn't been an issue yet.

Greg Narozniak
02-20-2008, 11:50 AM
My five year old likes to come out and help and I am glad to have him there although my productivity goes down but It does not bother me in the least. I have built him some small ramps (out of scrap) so his Monster trucks can jump them or a "jet" out of some scrap nailed together and he is happy as a clam.

He really gets a kick out of using the blow gun hooked up to the compressor line and likes blowing things around. I throw some safety glasses/Ear protection on him and open the garage doors and in no time the floor is nice and clean. Every little bit helps ;)

He made the mistake a long time ago of pushing the "big Green button" on my Unisaw (I always lower the blade when I am not using it) and the loud noise scared the bugger out of him. To this day he knows not to touch the machines and really does not like the noise. Another plus.

Jason Brown
02-20-2008, 11:51 AM
I'm not so much worried about when my 5 year old daughter is in my basement shop with me, I'm more worried about her taking it upon herself to go down there and "fix things" when I'm not watching her. When she's there with me, she and I will find something we can "work on" together, and that rarely involves anything more powerful than a cordless drill or screwdriver. However, EVERY time I leave the shop, things get unplugged, safety keys get removed, and I vacuum up floors, etc., just in case she gets the urge to go down there.

Cheers,
Jason

Luther Oswalt
02-20-2008, 11:53 AM
I am lucky enough to have a 20’ x 45’ concrete apron in front of the shop … when my two grand children (3 and 5) are here they love to ride their little bikes with training wheels on the concrete … they also have a small area in the shop to store their bikes and outside toys … My grand daughter, the 5 year old, could care less about the shop, but my grandson wakes up in the morning asking to go to the shop! They are welcome but no horse play in the shop! What grandpa says goes period … end of discussion … but if you have question ask and you will receive a courteous and complete answer … and it will be explained until either you understand or had enough info for the time being … we have fun in the shop .. We do lots of things but no power tools yet …
Leo

Kyle Kraft
02-20-2008, 11:55 AM
I allow my kids in the shop but require safety glasses and hearing protection when I'm running machinery. They are instructed to sit at or near my desk during machining operations. They have also been instructed regarding barging in the door without knocking or otherwise entering slowly and at no more than a normal speaking volume level.

At timesI will lock the door if I am feeling jumpy that day forcing visitors to call me on the phone for entry.

Prashun Patel
02-20-2008, 11:57 AM
I think we're better parents when we share our passions w our kids. The goal shld be to figure out HOW to integrate them into the shop safely - not WHETHER.

I have a 3 and 4 yr old. They've actually forced me to design the shop with some safety features: like enclosing all blades, and hanging any tool cords well out of reach so they can't be plugged in; separating batteries from their tool bodies, etc.

They also know to never go into the shop when daddy's not there and to leave whenever there's a loud tool on.

However, I LOVE having them help me sweep up and explaining to them what all the different tools do. They even get to help with some hand tools.

Bet my kids are the only toddlers in central Jersey that know what 'PVC' stands for and can tell the difference between an 'inchan-fife-ates' and 'inchan-a-corter' screw...

Bill Wyko
02-20-2008, 11:57 AM
When I was a youngster, we had an old guy we all called POP that lived in our neighborhood. His shop and his house was set up for all the kids. He'd let us build stuff, take us out to old mines to look for unique rocks and tell us about the rocks and their mineral content. Everyone had their own cups and dishes labled for themselves. He was a great guy. A very positive influence on the kids too. I'm all for kids in the shop.

Mike Ruggeri
02-20-2008, 12:00 PM
My kids are often in the shop with me (particularly the 3 year old). That being said, I think the key is to take the necessary precautions and teaching them shop safety from the beginning. For example, mine have always been taught "not to touch buttons" (that being switches for tools even though I always unplug all tools unless I am working with it at that moment), they must wear shoes in the shop, and they know to wear hearing and eye protection anytime we are working (my 3 year old loves wearing the ear muffs all around the house). If I am doing something that requires more concentration (like ripping something on the table saw) then they step out of the shop and wait for me to say OK to come back in (for them this is just stepping out of the shop into the finished part of the basement). If I am doing something that doesn't quite need that much concentration or is not dangerous then they know where they can go and where they cannot go. Also, I have an area where they can do their things without my assistance(bang on wood with a hammer, sand a piece of wood with sandpaper, etc..). I really enjoy them learning and spending time with me and I think we do it in a pretty safe manner and it should presumably get easier as they get older (maybe not).

Mike

Lance Sleeper
02-20-2008, 12:19 PM
My boys are five and seven and have been in the shop since they could walk. They have assisted with running the planer and do the cleanup. My oldest has begun helping with sanding on some of my projects and does a fair job. I just have some simple rules:

1. Eye protection at all times
2. Hearing protection when tools are running
3. Only daddy touches the power switches unless you are told to do so
4. You can use your own tools anytime you want to, ask permission to use mine
5. Ask before putting nails or screws in a piece of wood.

They both do a great job and go play in the yard when they get bored. Lots of shop safety lessons and learning to work wood.

Chris Padilla
02-20-2008, 12:25 PM
My daughter's been in the gara...err, shop with me plenty of times; she turns 6 Sunday (2/24). She has her own gloves, hearing protection, and eye protection and I always let her use what I'm using (well, most things). So far, so good although we had an incident recently in the living room that is undergoing a remodeling.

She was drilling some drywall screws into a chunk of wood with my cordless and somehow managed to get her golden hair into the spinning chuck and ripped out a good chunk of it. Boy, was the wife P-O'ed about that one! If my wife had her way, she'd lock our daughter in a padded room... :rolleyes: I on the other hand like to allow her to experience things and, yeah, some pain and blood may come about but that is part of being a kid. At least the hair that was removed was easily covered by the rest of her hair so not so bad. Live and learn....

Jody Malinich
02-20-2008, 12:30 PM
I've got teenagers so having them in the shop is like getting a woman out of the mall on black Friday.:D But on occasion I do get a visitor that hasn't been around before. I stop all work and ask that they not touch anything while they are there and if they have questions to ask me. I do not work while visitors are in my shop and if I feel that they are not going to abide by the rules we leave the shop. Once in awhile a buddy or two or three will come down and we'll work on a project together but I insist that they follow my instructions when working with any of the tools. It takes quite awhile for me to get comfortable with a persons skill to just let them run loose with no supervision. I've had guy working with me for six months and I still keep tabs on him, and watch him like a hawk when he is doing something new.

I do have one rule for my kids and LOML tho. "If I am working with a power tool do not bother me until I turn the tool off" This has worked pretty good but occasionally one of them will scare the beeswax out of me when I finally see them standing there by the door.

Joe Petersen
02-20-2008, 12:36 PM
Both my kids have access to my shop. Son is 10 and daughter is 6. I have had a couple close calls that went a long way in reminding me of safety precautions.

I don't leave sharp tools out and I don't leave metal sticking out. I do unplug machines if I am not actively cutting a board or piece of steel.

My son is quite precocious and has been from an early age. Fortunately he is easy to appease like when I need him to straighten nails on the anvil.

I don't see anything wrong with subjecting kids to "grown-up" things at an early age as long as you take the time to explain the why and when. Once you start to think like your kids and know what they do and how they act, it makes it easier to protect them.

I bought a PC brad nailer at the pawnshop this weekend and my son used it to help build my outfeed table yesterday. My wife looked at me like I'm crazy when she saw it in his hand. It sure beats raising a crippled man that has to call a HERO unit to have a flat tire changed.

I had a close call when he was 5. We were rebuilding the motor in my truck and I was installing the bolts in my flywheel/torque converter. I had a remote switch installed so I could bump the motor over for each bolt. I had just remembered this and pulled my hands from the bell-housing to go unplug it and it turned over. It would have been real ugly. But I was the one to blame for leaving such a tempting item to be touched. Once you get in the habit of unplugging as soon as a cut is made it becomes second nature and everyone is safe.

Edit: Sorry for the run-on. I had it done right but when I posted it was all together.

Pete Stack
02-20-2008, 12:55 PM
My four year old son is in the shop with me quite a bit. He has his own ear and eye protection and asks a lot of questions about the tools I work with. I think (hope) this is giving him a healthy respect for the tools I work with and how important it is to be safe. He has his own set of small clamps and enjoys making creations out of wood scraps and glue. To me, this is quality time at its best.

My workshop also has a master power switch. All power--except one outlet that has my rechargable batteries plugged into it--is off when the switch is off. You need a key to get to the switch. Prevents the kids from turning on anything when I'm not around (though the workshop is off-limits when I'm not around).

The switch also has a dual purpose. My neighbor would come over just to "cut a couple boards" when my wife was home but I was not around. She didn't want to seem un-neighborly and say no, so she always allowed it. But after I put the lock on the switch, it was a lot easier to say no. Now he only comes over when I'm in the shop and can monitor exactly what he's up to!

Lee Schierer
02-20-2008, 1:07 PM
My kids (all grown now) were in the shop with me from time to time. I didn't have a real shop when they were really young, but they were in teh shoip as early as 7 or 8. My grandkids are often in the shop with me. Sometimes working on a special project for them (pine wood derby cars) or they just play with scrap pieces. They wear ear protection, they think the sound muffs are cool to wear!

I generally try not to work on anything complex when they are with me as you do need to watch what they are doing and you can't watch kids while making cuts on the saw.

They like stacking up scraps and gluing them into odd shapes. They really like making something useful so when they are around, I try to plan on something fun for them to do. Off the top of my head, we've made napkin rings, cars, whistles, bird houses, rockets, kite string winders and a step stool. I let them help, but always with my hands right there guiding theirs. Eventually they will get to do more and more as their skills develop. I have a couple of old shirts they wear as smock when they paint to keep the finish off their clothes.

Teaching someone how to make things for themselves is the most rewarding thing you can do.

Dave Burris
02-20-2008, 1:14 PM
I am a father of six kids ranging from 13 to a pair of 4 year old twins (boy and girl). Yes, life is interesting to say the least ...

I do allow the kids in the shop as long as I am there with them. The twins seem to be the only ones that enjoy it. They have their own little space to work. They have a few small hand tools like a hammer and some screw drivers. I really enjoy working in the shop but sometimes it is just more fun to sit back and watch those two get together on a 'project'.

Now safety is number one. I know one day I will lose my sanity (six kids remember?) and I have to make sure they are still around to take care of me when I finally snap. So ... all kids know that if a tool has a power cord or a battery, NO TOUCHING! Period. No one is allowed in the shop without me. Since the twins have come, I have gone the extra mile to attach a throw swith on the wall for each piece of equipment. After the i'm done, the switch is thrown and no power. The cabinets with sharp tools and equipment have locks on them and the key is put away in the house. And yes a 4 year old does know how to work a master lock if he has the key. If I am using a big machine the kids know to stay away until the noise stops. The twins picked that up right away. It is the wife that just can't seem to grasp the concept ....

Anyway ... yes I love having the kids on the shop. My father and I still do things together I hope someday to do the same things with my kids.

Now ... what did I do with that key again?

Thomas Knighton
02-20-2008, 1:15 PM
My shop is currently a Workmate in my front yard, but when I'm building something, my son will be out there with me. He loves the feel of wood curling up from a hand plane he's pushing. However, when power tools are fired up, he has to go inside for the time being. I have to get him some eye protection and hearing protection so he can stay out with me.

I have such a blast sharing my limited knowledge with my son. At his age (he'll be 7 in July), he's a sponge for information. I can't wait to teach him more!

Tom

Michael Lutz
02-20-2008, 1:22 PM
I have a 2.5 year old son. He loves to go to the shop. He like to put things away for me. When he is in there, all the shop power is off except for the lights. I don't run any machines with him in there, because he doesn't always listen well, especially when he is curious. He usually sweeps saw dust around in the shop or rearranges things he finds on the floor, which is why I am trying to build as much storage off the floor as possible. He likes hammers and screwdrivers. I like having him around.

Mike

Scott Haddix
02-20-2008, 1:36 PM
My son is now twelve, but he and I have been working in the woodshop together since he was in cub scouts, but he's not yet allowed to operate any of my machines other than the band saw and drill press, and those with supervision. He's allowed to use a jig saw, sanders, etc., but not a circular saw. I not only unplug my tools, but I flip the circuit breaker switches to off for all of my 220 equipment (jointer and table saw). Luckily the panel is conveniently located.

My son and I come up with projects that are specifically of interest to him to tackle, as a way of getting and keeping him interested in learning and developing new skills. But, he only comes into the shop to work when I'm there. He's old enough to use most hand tools by himself, but he really is only interested in being out there when we're working together. Hope that lasts a few more years...

I've also offered to work with some of the neighborhood kids as they take 'shop' in school, but clearly that would only be under direct supervision.

Jim Becker
02-20-2008, 2:36 PM
My daughters are allowed to visit me in the shop, but must knock on the door first. They are not allowed in there alone or when I am using any of the large machinery. If they want to do a project, we work on it together. (My girls are 8 and 12)

John Maus
02-20-2008, 3:50 PM
My father introduced me to his woodshop when I was old enough to hold a hammer. He progressively added tools to the list that I could use on my own. I've loved woodworking since.

I've done the same with my three children (now 10, 8, 8). When they were old enough to crawl in, I would let them. My shop was "baby proofed" nearly as much as my house was. They really enjoyed playing in a pile of saw dust, building their first birdhouse and making windchimes as teacher gifts.

I helped my kids understand, from an early age, what a danger improperly used tools can be for them (even a wooden mallet can trun your thumb into a throbbing reminder). They don't have complete freedom in the shop yet but soon will. Helping them learn proper tool use, safety gear, and even shop cleanup is as much fun for me as working by myself on a project.

I enjoy woodworking as a hobby so can defer project work to "kid assistance" pretty easily. If I were making a living in the shop, I might have less time for tutoring during the day but they're in school then anyway.

Proper instruction in the shop not only makes for a safer child and good memories but also sets them up to be a lot more self sufficient when they leave the nest.

John

Larry Fox
02-20-2008, 4:08 PM
Thing 1 (age 6) and Thing 2 (age 3) are my little cleaning machines and they fairly
regularly are in there arguing over who gets the shop vac and who gets stuck with the broom. :)

They LOVE to draw on scraps with markers and their mom has quite the collection of art from them.

My rules are simple, appropriate shoes, ear protection, eye protection, no power tools (other than the shop vac) and they must ask before they use something.

I love to have my kids out there and my fondest desire is that they develop an interest. Thing 2 is starting to and I plan on building them little benches of their own shortly to keep it going.

BTW: I have always kept the TS locked and the jointer unplugged (which I sometimes forgot) but I recently installed a knife-switch disconnect that dumps the power on both at the same time - and that gets locked.

Nate Folco
02-20-2008, 4:43 PM
My little guy is 19 months. My shop is in the basement and I've always kept all tools unplugged unless I'm using them. I'm glad because one of the first things my son did when he would walk in the shop was to go straight to the Unisaw and jab the on button.

He loves stacking my cut-offs and I keep a pile of blocks in a pile just for him to play with. I don't let him in if I'm using any power tools. Not only to prevent mangled body parts, but I don't have any eye/ear protection that will fit him.

I think one of his first 10 words was 'shop'.

Jude Kingery
02-20-2008, 4:45 PM
Jim,

My answer is absolutely yes - although if she's two years old, might need to be very cognizent about dust and filters and the such. Of course, 2 year olds are also really good about getting into trouble being curious anywhere they are. Be it shop, in kitchen cabinets (like baby proof the house as well as the shop and pay attention to any respiratory precautions as well as physical dangers, hearing protection while you're out there with her). Seems like you're aware of all the safety stuff anyway; so I think it's fine.

By the time we really were about 7-8 years old, seriously, we could go in the shop anytime we wanted, use any power tool including table saws, grinders, drill press, torch, arc welder, lathe, radial arm saw. My Dad had a really well-equipped shop and we freely used it all, no holds barred. It was fun "being raised in sawdust." And I celebrate that freedom we had as kids as well as what we learned to this very day. While my shop is smaller than my Dad's, it's pretty much laid out in a similar fashion and my husband built the benches and storage shelves. Mostly what I do is wood turning, have my Dad's old lathe we used as children and then have a nice big lathe as well.

Sure, as is age-appropriate, include your kids in your shop as they grow up. We weren't as safety conscious then as perhaps you are and I am now (respirator/DC/filter, safety glasses) but no serious injuries as kids, good common sense, and a heck of a lot of fun for a life time hobby of enjoyment not to mention very fond memories of my Dad.

Best wishes,

Jude

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-20-2008, 6:50 PM
My grand daughters like to ride the slider.
They enjoy occasionally goofing around with the hand sander.

Jim Broestler
02-20-2008, 7:43 PM
My little guy is 19 months. My shop is in the basement and I've always kept all tools unplugged unless I'm using them. I'm glad because one of the first things my son did when he would walk in the shop was to go straight to the Unisaw and jab the on button.

He loves stacking my cut-offs and I keep a pile of blocks in a pile just for him to play with. I don't let him in if I'm using any power tools. Not only to prevent mangled body parts, but I don't have any eye/ear protection that will fit him.

I think one of his first 10 words was 'shop'.

Yeah, every time my daughter sees a picture in a woodworking magazine or book, if the person in the picture's face isn't visible, she automatically thinks it's me and says, "Daddy shop!"

John Lucas
02-20-2008, 7:54 PM
No one! Exceptions are attractive woodworking assistants who can beon camera. With a lot of new tools under review, it is neccessary and convenient to say "no visitors."

Peter Quadarella
02-20-2008, 7:55 PM
For some reason my 2 year old thinks all power tools are "robots". :D

Ron Jones near Indy
02-20-2008, 7:59 PM
PS. I grew up on a farm around all kinds of machinery and guns. I wouldn't trade my childhood for anything.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!:):):):):)

Rick Gifford
02-20-2008, 8:12 PM
Kids are welcome in my area, dependant on what I am doing at the time. Power tools are usually powered down at the breakers anyway.

I let my granddaughter roam around the other night while I did some cleanup. She's only 16 months. Set her on a stool (with arms) and let her play with the bench dogs. That kept her entertained for a long time. I hope she will always come out to the shop and hang out with her poppy. I would love nothing more for her to take an interest in wood.

Now if I am doing cutting, varnishing etc, then the area is off limits for safety reasons.

My 13 year old will start turning his own pens as soon as I get a couple items out of the way. He quite excited to be allowed to do it. Looking forward to teaching him!

Joe Chritz
02-20-2008, 8:28 PM
My kids are allowed everywhere that I am with very few exceptions.

It is a learning experience that should be used for what it is.

They can't come to work with me until much older. That is one experience they really don't need to have.

Mine were both young when building the house and they were there all the time. Education and training are key and it is dependent on each kid.

Both of my kids started shooting with me at or before 5 so the shop is no different. You should see the looks the picture of my 6 year old daughter shooting my M4 carbine gets. :D She is pretty good and will be much better than me well before she can own her own. Hopefully woodworking will follow suit.

Joe

Tom Cullom JR.
02-20-2008, 8:44 PM
My 8 year old daughter loves to come out to the shop when I'm there.
She nails and screws all of my scraps into some wild creations....:D
she has helped in some small way on all the projects I have made in the last 3 years. It might be just a little sanding or wiping on some finish in a hidden corner. I wouldn't trade the time for anything. Now she wants to learn the scroll saw....:eek:

Scott Kilroy
02-20-2008, 8:50 PM
As long as you use common sense and don't let the kids out of your site I think it's a good idea to let kids in the shop. My only two rules are no touching anything without my OK and the kids have to play in the yard once the power tools go on.

My 8 year old daughter will do her homework in my shop. Sometimes she'll pretend that we run a store. She takes the orders and I build what our imaginary customers want. A lot of time I'll ask her to measure stuff for me or to "help me" with math.

Dar Lounsbury
02-20-2008, 10:06 PM
I think we're better parents when we share our passions with our kids. The goal should be to figure out HOW to integrate them into the shop safely - not WHETHER.

I think this says it. What better time to teach your kids the 'right way' to do things in the shop. Of course, age appropriate for task at hand.

Ken Potts
02-20-2008, 10:54 PM
My grandson is the love of my life, he loves my shop, we spend many hours in there. As I'm building he pretends he's building too. He uses my tape to measure and uses my unopened caukinging gun to pretend he's gluing up a project. He knows he is not to touch any power tools, he stays away from them. He's two and a half and drove his first nail a few months ago. He's been in my shop with me since he was able to walk and I've watched him learn. A lot of you guys are too young for grandchildren, just wait. There is nothing like it.

Ron Dunn
02-20-2008, 11:12 PM
My 4yo daughter is welcome when I'm in the workshop, except when I'm using power tools. Then she gets ushered out for a few moments while "Daddy does something dangerous".

She turns my scrap into works of art :)

Eugene A. Manzo III
02-21-2008, 2:20 AM
I bring my Grandson in with me and show him all the
very DANGEROUS stuff and why it is best to only touch it with pupa. He also has a bench and WE pound nails into whatever he wants TOGETHER. My attention is NEVER off him for a second because even a hammer and nail can hurt him quickly. He even has a set of safety glasses he has to wear in the shop. He likes going out with me and I love taking him out as you should your Daughter but do not do it with intentions on doing your project because thats not proper supervision as far as I'm concerned. Just my thoughts

Jim Dunn
02-21-2008, 8:37 AM
I allow my granddaughter in the shop with the following equipment. She supervises all my shop activities when she is at "gramp-pa's"

Rod Sheridan
02-21-2008, 9:11 AM
When my two daughters were aproximately seven, they were allowed into the shop, and had their own bench and tools. (Hammer, saws, screwdrivers and a 3/4" chisel).

As they became older, one took an interest in woodworking and was allowed to use the drill press, bandsaw, scroll saw and belt sander.

Michelle eventually took woodworking in High School, and then was allowed to use any machine she had passed her safety test on at school.

Now in her twenties, Michelle doesn't woodwork as a hobby, however she does repair faucets, bicycles, towel racks, drywall repairs etc as required.

I would have liked her to take woodworking up as a hobby, however she has basic skills, and a "can do" attitude for technical work so I guess she's done OK.

Regards, Rod.

Sean Troy
02-21-2008, 10:10 AM
My girls age 7 and 11 are allowed in the shop in fact they both use the Mini-Lathe and my older one likes the Scroll Saw. To make them feel more a part of the shop, I painted a small area with primer for each of them on the wall that they can paint their own picture. I do make them go over safety rules with me every chance we get. They seem to know what they can touch and what not to do in the shop.

John Messinger
03-17-2009, 9:43 AM
Sigh, niether of my sons want anything to do with the shop unless its to grab a screwdriver. Even my dogs won't go in there.

Chris Kennedy
03-17-2009, 10:55 AM
My shop is at the back of our lot -- probably 50 paces from the house. When my son learned how to crawl, I put him on the grass and he took off for the shop. Ever since, he has wanted to be in there.

At first, I hung the toddler swing from the rafters and would let him swing when I was doing small, usually non-power work. At 2, he doesn't fit in the swing anymore, and wants to get his hands on everything (for a while, he would be seen taking my ROS for a walk around the house . . . ). I decided this past summer that I had to completely re-organize my shop to minimize the chances of him and me getting accidentally hurt because he wants to be out there and I want him there with me. I am still in the process of that, and he hasn't liked it one bit because I haven't let him in there while I am revamping it.

Cheers,

Chris

glenn bradley
03-17-2009, 11:17 AM
It depends what I'm doing. If power tools aren't involved, I'm OK with visitors. I don't like being startled when my fingers are near a fast spinning cutter though. I generally don't have anything in my shop that can move under its own power when I am using power tools; dog, cat, bird, LOML, kids, etc. are unwelcome.

I have only recently trained LOML's daughter not to bang on the garage door to let me know she has arrived to mow the lawns. I almost lost a thumb last time that happened ;-)

Brad Wood
03-17-2009, 11:22 AM
my grand kids are not allowed in my garage/shop ... at least not when their parents are around... they have absolutely no respect for anything and can't keep their fingers away from anything. (5 and 3). It is a little better when the parents are not around, but they are still out of control.
The last time they were in the garage, I was not around and the parents were supposed to be supervising. I came home and found bubble soaked (as in blowing bubbles soap) play doh smeared over the chrome of my Harley.. That was pretty much the end of their existence in the garage.

Chris Tsutsui
03-17-2009, 11:58 AM
A shop that I did some work for got broken into and $30,000 worth of tools and hardware were stolen. This shop had about a 17 man crew and netted over $1.4M per year in sales.

So their solution was to get two pitbulls and keep them in the shop 24/7 along with razer wire surrounding the yard (they believe the burglers hopped the fence).

After making it much more difficult to hop the fence and the addition of two shop companions (Pit Bulls), there has never been another theft report in over a year.

So even in a commercial environment, you can have companions.

Lee Schierer
03-17-2009, 12:04 PM
My dog comes into the shop when I'm there and usually picks a spot on the floor where he can keep an eye on me in case I want to sneak out and hunt birds or go for a walk in the back fields. He stays put so I let him stay unless I'm running the planer. The cat likes to climb on and into stuff so he gets booted out if I'm working.

My kids were often in the shop working with me on projects and my grandkids (7& 9) want to be in the shop when they are around and I'm working out there. I generally try to make something with them, but sometimes I'm working on other projects and tehy just hang out. My granddaughter loves to suck sawdust off the floor and equipment with the DC hose, so I get a cleaner shop when she's around. They love the ear protection and wear them all the time even when not needed. They also have full access to a can I keep with small squares and rectangles of wood for clamp pads. If it is in the can they can have it for their imagination glue ups.

I would not try to do woodworking while watching a younger child in my shop. It is too easy to get involved and forget to pay attention to the child. Too much room for someone to get hurt IMO.

glenn witgen
03-17-2009, 1:04 PM
I could not even think of working without one of my three son's helping.
We have completed four kayak's together. I decide what part of the boat we are going to work on based on witch of the three are helping. It is wonderful to see there hand tool skills improve over the years. My sons age's are 17,13, 9 .

Bill Houghton
03-17-2009, 1:49 PM
My sons were in the shop from pretty young, under my constant supervision until they got old enough to be safe on their own (about 12, although I sometimes think I should have supervised longer - never did get all the glue off the bench from one teenaged project).

What you have to realize when you've got kids in the shop is that you're not working on what you thought you were - you're working on teaching and raising a kid or kids. This can be hard when you go into the shop thinking you're going to finish that project, or when you feel under pressure to get something done, but it pays off when you see them turning into competent adults.

Both my sons assume that they can understand/do/make things and be in control of their physical world. My observation is a lot of kids don't grow into adults with that assumption.

Paul Steiner
03-17-2009, 3:51 PM
My wife is expecting our first, its a boy and I plan to introduce all my children to tools when age appropriate. There will be alot of ground work with safety and behavior first but I would like them to know their way around tools. A little experience with tools and building does a great deal to boost their confidence.

Aaron Montgomery
03-17-2009, 5:45 PM
It is from now on :eek:. Thing is, the outlet is in a really inconvenient spot, so I've also considered a locking cover for the switch plate. But yeah, that's a common sense rule I've had to remind myself of in recent weeks.

I'm equally lazy about running over to unplug the table saw before changing the blade. That's why I added the disconnect to the Unisaw. It's conveniently located and easy to use. I could even throw a padlock on it if I was worried about kids or visitors.

Ron Bontz
03-17-2009, 7:03 PM
Well this brings back memories. From the time my daughter was 2 y/o up until the time she became a teenager, (When I became the evil one), she would come into my shop all the time. So long as I was in there. She, or anyone else was not allowed when I wasn't. We did everything from make swords and then have sword fights, the big monster always lost, to put adhesive backed sand paper on our palms (220 grit) and bop each other. You know guys---bop pop. Seems like pop always lost. She would use my drafting table to draw on. Sometimes without paper. Some times she would just come hang out to get away from mom. Who knows what that was about. The worst thing I worried about was her bumping her head. At age 2,3,and 4 they are the perfect height for that. I would always keep an eye out for her and she understood not to get near the tools when I was using them. She was the only one btw I would allow in my shop as a child. We used to play with her toys together.. How could I tell her she could not come out to my really big toy box and play? I wouldn't trade those days for anything in the world.:D:D:D:D:D

Bill Wyko
03-17-2009, 7:07 PM
They better be, I'm only 45 so I'm still a kid.:D My kid is 18 and in the world of work and school so I never even see her any more.:(

Ron Jones near Indy
03-17-2009, 7:42 PM
My son is welcome to my shop at all times. Of course, he's 28.

Jacob Mac
03-18-2009, 12:50 AM
My son is 6, and he is my right hand man, a very useful clamp, and a real asset during glue ups. He knows where to stand when power tools are in use, and he knows he needs to wear hearing and breathing protection when he is in the shop. Also, he isn't allowed in the shop unless I am there supervising. He isn't allowed to use any power tools, yet. For now, he is quite happy using hand tools.

I think it is a great learning experience for both of us, and I get to pass something on to my son. I love having him in the shop with me. And since I am always preaching safety to him, it makes me more aware of being safe myself.

My daughter is 8 and there is no way I will let her in the shop. She just doesn't listen well enough and chooses not to obey me just enough that I feel irresponsible having her in the shop. There is too great of a chance she could hurt herself, so she doesn't get to come work with us.

David Weiser
03-18-2009, 1:34 AM
I guess I will throw something out from a teenagers perspective. I have been working with tools since I was old enough to hold a hammer. My father always taught me to respect power tools and not fear them. It finally dawned on me that he respects me using power tools when I was about 11. We were doing basement shop framing, and I would use the Compound Miter Saw and he would call out dimensions to cut to me. I still have all my fingers fortunately! (Need 'em for playing guitar!)

He has shown me so many invaluable skills that I know will save me time and money when I have a house of my own. Things like how to read a tape measure (You would be surprised at how many people can't!), how to do plumbing, electrical, etc. Of course, my favorite thing to do is electrical. He hates doing it, so I do just it for him. I just feel bad sometimes because I will get into arguments, in typical teenager fashion, with him when we are working together. Of course teens always think they know better... :rolleyes:

Shawn Honeychurch
03-18-2009, 1:34 PM
My 5 year old daughter is the best assistant I have ever had. Whether we're cleaning up an old tool, building a garden arbor, or making a race track for her cars she is in the thick of it.

We had a very serious talk the first time she came to "Daddies Man Cave" as named by SWMBO, and set out the rules, she knows what she can and cannot touch, she knows exactly where to stand depending on what tool I am using, and she has her own eye/ear protection.

We have not had any close calls because she knows exactly what is OK and what's not in the shop.

It's great. :)

Shawn

Matt Meiser
03-18-2009, 2:36 PM
My 6yo daughter spends quite a bit of time in my shop. If I'm using the TS, I make her go stand where she wouldn't be in the line of fire if I had a kickback. If I use the router she has to go in my office, and if I use the planer she either has to go in the office or put on hearing protection (she has her own.) She knows she's not allowed to touch anything without my permission, especially the tools. She pretty much has free reign over any scrap and knows where to find it.

She has her own workbench and a basic set tools. Sometimes she works with them and other times she plays "restaurant" or who-knows-what.

Rod Sheridan
03-18-2009, 2:45 PM
[quote=Matt Meiser;1085227] She pretty much has free reign over any scrap and knows where to find it.

She has her own workbench and a basic set tools. quote]

Matt, that post made me smile, my daughters had the same rules/options as yours. Thanks for the great reminder.

It backfired on me once though, I had some purpleheart and yellowheart sawn up into blanks to turn into salt and pepper mills for Christmas gifts.

Michelle saw the blanks for 5 pairs sitting on the bench with the offcuts.

She glued them up into some sort of stable for her toy horses.:eek:

Fortunately I was able to handsaw them apart into turning blanks again....:D

Regards, Rod.

Frank Trinkle
03-18-2009, 3:15 PM
I think the most important factor is preventing hearing damage.

The high decibel levels of most ww'ing machinery well exceeds the safety threshold (anything >85DB) and over time will cause permanent hearing loss which unfortunately is CUMULATIVE.

My thoughts are that it would be rather difficult to have a toddler keep earplugs in while in the shop... and therefore should be restricted to those activities when machines are NOT running.

Just my 2 cents

David Moody
03-18-2009, 3:28 PM
I kind of go with this rule:
1 adult for every child.

When you have children in the shop, you really need to be able to pay attention to what they are doing, because sometimes they don't do that very well themselves. That is made even more difficult because you also have to pay attention and concentrate on the tools that are being used.

As a practical matter, it is helpful and a whole lot safer to have more than one set of experienced adult eyes when kids are in the shop. That isn't always possible, though. When it isn't, make it one kid at a time.

JohnT Fitzgerald
03-18-2009, 9:06 PM
Yes - but never without me. They're 9 7 and 5 so they're not quite old enough really for any projects without me. And they know the rules - safety glasses, hearing protection, and no sock-feet (shoes are a must). Makes me very happy when they come down and first thing they do is reach for the glasses and hearing protection - even if all I'm doing is cleaning up.

I installed a subpanel so I can turn off all my shop outlets by flipping the breaker in the main panel - which gives me another level of comfort. but we've already had a few flying objects that, despite not hitting anyone, reinforce the need for eye safetly.

Judy Kingery
03-18-2009, 9:47 PM
Jim,

Yep, I'm with Greg on this one - wouldn't trade my childhood for anything. I grew up in my Dad's shop. We could use anything we wanted when we were quite young: I don't know age 7-8, radial arm saw, etc, lathe, grinders, welder, drill press, torche. Just the 'be careful, if you need help let me know.' And we were off and running. I did a lot of turning; my brothers both were more into metal sculpture or rebuilding engines, auto work.

But sure, kids are welcome in my shop any time. The two kids I've taught how to turn were both about oh, 10 and 12 respectively, not really little kids. One went on to turn dozens of things in his Dad's shop; his Dad bought him a lathe, used, and he's done quite nice work. My piano student has turned about 5 things now, done well. He's sporadic, sometimes he'll turn, sometimes not. Which is fine.

But I do think it important to welcome kids, sure, conscientious about safety, things that bite/cut/face shield or respirator depending, good foundation, but yep. My Dad turned us loose and that's generally what I do depending upon the student, maturity, and so on.

Best to you - your daughter will thank you I bet. I think of my Dad often and fondly for lots of things, one of them being: "you can do anything these ol' boys can do."

Jude

Karl Brogger
03-18-2009, 10:40 PM
I've got two nephews who are frequent visitors to my shop. One is two years old, the other is 4 years old. It becomes my own personal hell. Basically anything that can be moved, is. I've fired up shapers without looking only to find the cutter is jammed against the fence because some little hands have decided to adjust the hieght. The bucket of screws on the faceframe table is a common attraction as well, don't ask me how pulling screws out of a can and putting them on the floor is entertaining, but somehow it is. I also find footprints in the wierdest of places. They're cut buggers, so I let it slide. Today in fact I kept them occupied for almost a full two minutes as they were watching me pound drawers together.

Just about the only reason I would willingly reproduce would be for slave labour down the road. LOL