PDA

View Full Version : ND, SD, MN Temperatures

mark page
02-20-2008, 10:11 AM
Was watching the weather last night and you fella's must be in one heck of a cold wave. -25 degree lows pretty much across the board and with high winds also. Makes me want to buy some of that long underwear with the "flap" in the back. lol.:eek:

Chad Voller
02-20-2008, 11:08 AM
What I found funny, was that schools were closing at only -10F. I remember going to school in -25 weather. Of course the school year is a lot longer than it was back then, and in recent years, they've rarely had any snow days, compared to what I used to have. I recall having some snow days 2 days in a row. We had about an extra week in the school year meant for snow days, and we usually used them all (we didn't call them cold days because we rarely got off for it being cold). And the snow actually stayed. This is actually the first year since I was in high school that you can't see the grass poking through the snow (central MN, it usually stays on the ground north of here). So I guess the kids deserve to have a few days off now. :)

Craig D Peltier
02-20-2008, 11:25 AM
Thats cold stuff, I havent been in colder than 25 below but I think after 5 or 10 below your nostrils stick together thats weird. I also remember ice drops being on the truck hood and never leaving even after driving all day hunting up in Bingham Maine , they never melted.
That kind of cold is just not right.
I hate getting in a car when its 25 outside never mine with a - in front of it.

Belinda Barfield
02-20-2008, 11:35 AM
I absolutely cannot imagine what it feels like at that temp. I'm sure I would survive, but it wouldn't be pleasant. We're looking at 59 tomorrow, which is a cool snap, and 77 on Friday. I've worn a light jacket maybe five days so far this "winter". Folks around here are betting it will be really cold for the St. Patrick's Day celebration though (yes, that's a really big deal here). Really cold being in the 40's. :rolleyes:

Tyler Howell
02-20-2008, 12:05 PM
The hard part is the scream of the gas meter as it dips deep into my pocket for more $$$$.
Layer on more clothes and we are all set.:o

Jim Becker
02-20-2008, 1:55 PM
Please don't send it our way, thank you very much!

Steven Wilson
02-20-2008, 2:19 PM
Nothing to complain about here. It's noon, it's really sunny, and it's 1F: a very nice day in Minnesota.

Al Wasser
02-20-2008, 2:19 PM
Everyone needs some nasty weather so we appreciate that good days. I'll take the cold over the hurricanes and tornados

Chad Voller
02-20-2008, 2:27 PM
It's really not that bad as long as you don't leave your skin bare for more than a few minutes, and you dress properly. I myself haven't worn a hat or gloves yet this year, kinda stupid on my part. There's some fun things to do when it's this cold. Boil some water, go outside and throw it up in the air. It'll evaporate/vaporize before it hits the ground. Or put your tongue on a metal pole. Real fun stuff. Ok, the tongue on the pole trick is not really fun, and you need warm water to remove yourself from the pole if you want to keep the skin on your tongue.

I've never had my nostrils freeze together, but then I never pinched them together when it is this cold. You do feel the moisture freezing on your upper lip when breathing through your nose though. It feels kinda crisp, and weird. Hard to explain unless you feel it yourself.

What does suck when it's this cold is if you have to work on a tire filled with calcium chloride (tractor rears for example), and you can't do it indoors. Calcium chloride doesn't freeze very easily, but when it touches your skin in that temperature, it dries your skin up almost instantly. And when you go to grab a tool, your skin is so dried up and dead, that it splits open and you start to bleed. Then you start screaming, because calcium chloride on wounds hurts like hell. Kinda like putting alcohol on an open wound. I'm so glad I don't have to do that anymore...

An old co-worker of mine went to Vegas during the winter a few years ago. It was 60 there, and everyone was in sweaters and light jackets. He and his brother were walking around in t-shirts and shorts. Everyone thought they were crazy until they learned they were Minnesotan's. :)

The people I feel sorry for are those straight north of us in Canada. -40 is not uncommon from what I hear. Try starting a diesel, or any car at that temp without an engine block heater and a strong battery. Sometimes ya just cross your fingers and hope she'll turn over.

Nancy Laird
02-20-2008, 2:31 PM
Our sojourn in Minneapolis last week was NOT pleasant - I think the highest temp we had all week was about 20, and the high on the day before we left was 7!! I'm a southern girl and I don't like that kind of cold!! It was pretty miserable last week; I can't imagine how it could get any worse!!

Nancy

Belinda Barfield
02-20-2008, 2:37 PM
Everyone needs some nasty weather so we appreciate that good days. I'll take the cold over the hurricanes and tornados

You've got a point there Al. Hurricane season can be a bit irritating but it's pretty much like everything else, you just have to be prepared. I'll pull out the emergency supplies in the next month or so and go through everything to make sure we have what we need. Then we'll put all of the important papers, etc., in our "to go" container and hope nothing heads our way. Since we are in the "arm pit" of Georgia Savannah doesn't have a lot to worry about.

The people I feel sorry for are those straight north of us in Canada. -40 is not uncommon from what I hear. Try starting a diesel, or any car at that temp without an engine block heater and a strong battery. Sometimes ya just cross your fingers and hope she'll turn over.

Gee Chad, you make it sound like so much fun!;) I heard from an acquaintance who lives north of you about two weeks ago. It was -85 F that day. She said even with the heater her truck wouldn't start.

Chad Voller
02-20-2008, 2:41 PM
You should see the looks on the faces of immigrants! Especially the Somali's. They come from around the equator, and have never seen snow in their life, and their average inland temp every day ranges from 85-105. That'll put you into shock.

Bruce Volden
02-20-2008, 3:01 PM
Our sojourn in Minneapolis last week was NOT pleasant - I think the highest temp we had all week was about 20, and the high on the day before we left was 7!! I'm a southern girl and I don't like that kind of cold!! It was pretty miserable last week; I can't imagine how it could get any worse!!

Nancy

Nancy,

Just add WIND and you'll see it can get much worse. I awoke to -22F this morning with a high temp for the day forecast -5F.....Oh well springs commin'

Bruce

Jason Beam
02-20-2008, 3:06 PM
Thank you for this post.

I do NOT miss it one bit and this post has reminded me how good I got it :)

I gave up shoveling out of 4 foot snow drifts about 12 years ago and won't be going back! This thread assures it! :D

Steven Wilson
02-20-2008, 3:48 PM

Nancy

It can be worse. I use to live in Saudi Arabia for 10 years prior to moving to Minnesota and it's going to be a bad day when it's over 100F and fairly muggy when I would leave for work at 7am. Then it decides if it wants to get hot!

Brian Elfert
02-20-2008, 4:59 PM

You were in town on a warm day, at least recently.

When the overnight lows are around -15F my VW Golf diesel won't start. I have to hook up my coolant heater to get the engine warm enough to start.

The engine will turn over, but not start at those temps. I forgot to plug in one day last week or the week before when it was really cold. I ran through two cycles of waiting for the glow plugs and then cranking before I decided to just plug the car in and wait an hour. Another cycle or two probably would have worked, but at the risk of draining the battery.

Al Willits
02-20-2008, 5:09 PM
Winters suck here, but the summers and over 10,000 lakes make up for it.

Plus you can dress for the cold, and you can only undress so far for the heat.

Winters down south and summers up here would be the way to go....just 4 more years and that's what we'll do..:D

Gobal warming is hitting us pretty hard here today, its 5 degree's and will only be -8 for a low tomm.

Al

David G Baker
02-20-2008, 5:14 PM
I got up a little early this morning to clear the small amount of snow off of our ice covered concrete slab in front of our garage. It was just 6:00AM when I went out. On the way out the door I looked at the outside thermometer and thought it said minus 1.5 degrees. I went out and started scraping off the snow. A few minutes later the LOML stuck her head out the door and asked what was I doing outside dressed like I was at minus 15 degrees. I thought it was a little cold but what the heck I was only going to be out there for around 15 minutes. I was dressed for our normal morning temp of around 15 above.
For a California boy living in Michigan the cold doesn't bother me at all but I am retired and don't have to work out in the weather all day.