PDA

View Full Version : Turning cyclone on and off a lot?

Jamie Buxton
02-20-2008, 12:02 AM
We've often had cyclone owners on this board say that they don't like to turn the cyclone on and off a lot. They've heard that this will damage the motor. The motors in the typical small-shop cyclones are 3 hp 230 volt units. The motors in the typical cabinet saw are quite similar -- 3 hp and 230 volts. However, nobody has cautioned about turning them on and off a lot. What's the difference?

Bob Wingard
02-20-2008, 12:38 AM
The impeller in a dust collector has a bit more mass to it than a typical saw blade, so it IS a bit harder to get going .. .. .. but I think you've answered your own question .. .. .. cycling a d.c. isn't much different than cycling a table saw/shaper/jointer/planer or anything else that has similar power requirements.

Steve knight
02-20-2008, 1:20 AM
a dc takes a lot more juice to spin up. it takes several seconds to get going a table saw is about instant. baldor says no more then 6 times a hour.

Greg Narozniak
02-20-2008, 7:57 AM
I usually try to leave my Oneida running when I am making multiple cuts or changing machines. The unit is designed to run for hours on end day after day so No harm will come to it as far as I can tell. I always try and stick to the no more than 6 start ups per hour.

I never understood the reason for the automatic blast gates that turn the collector on and off when each tool is used. Always seems like a recipe for disaster for the DC motor. maybe it's just me :)

Eric Gustafson
02-20-2008, 10:12 AM
From McMaster-Carr, I ordered the following relay with a delay-on-break function. This will keep the unit on for 10 min after switching off. That will limit you to 6 times per hour, allow the starter windings to cool down after startup in-rush current, and help clean the air in the shop! :)

7457K38
(Same as 7457K63)Long-Life Relay with Timing Function Delay-on-Break, 120 VAC, 1 Amp, 30 Sec to 10 minIn stock at $24.54 Each

Wayne Cannon
02-21-2008, 10:25 PM
Those are the guidelines Oneida publishes with their cyclones. They say it's to prevent overheating (consistent with the other responses).

Bruce Wrenn
02-22-2008, 11:28 PM
My cyclone is controlled by a sensor in the panel box. Every time saw comes on, so does cyclone. It has been this way since day one- seven years ago. No problems yet, but my cyclone doesn't have a Baldor motor on it.

Tom Veatch
02-23-2008, 3:24 PM
7457K38
(Same as 7457K63)Long-Life Relay with Timing Function Delay-on-Break, 120 VAC, 1 Amp, 30 Sec to 10 minIn stock at $24.54 Each

Isn't a 1 Amp contact rating a little light for the motor on a DC - or are you using it to switch the coil current of a higher rated contactor?

Eric Gustafson
02-23-2008, 4:57 PM
are you using it to switch the coil current of a higher rated contactor?

Exactly. I use the delay relay to close the big 220v relay on the DC.