PDA

View Full Version : Oh My!......My DC is partially in and I fired it up....

Ken Fitzgerald
02-19-2008, 11:34 PM
My SIL and I finished the 2nd of 3 "circuits" of the DC piping this evening. I closed the blast gates on the two circuits and this left the "Y" open. So I fired up my 3hp Onieda........Wow!

2 observations....it's going to work well I'm sure.....and I will be building a room around it with a convoluted return duct!:D

Steve Rozmiarek
02-20-2008, 10:08 AM
They must sell a bunch of those. Mines going to be here today or tomorrow. Congrats! Glad to hear you are impressed!

Why the construction of the room?

Ken Fitzgerald
02-20-2008, 10:11 AM
Steve....strictly for noise abatement. It wasn't really that loud...and keep in mind, my shop has plywood on the walls and thus it reflects sounds dramatically. I put my DC in one corner and have planned all along to frame walls around it for sound abatement.

Chris Padilla
02-20-2008, 10:42 AM
SOUNDS good, Ken! Insulate the wall as well...heavy door, too. Do you have a muffler on the exhaust or are you exhausting outside or ???

Jim O'Dell
02-20-2008, 10:47 AM
Chris, what would be better, heavy door on said closet, or an open frame door with sound absorption material lining the inside? I still need to build doors for my DC closet, and not sure which way would be quieter.
Congrats Ken. Now you can start building upgrade hoods for all the different equipment you're piping to. :DJim.

Chris Padilla
02-20-2008, 11:01 AM
Read this thread on soundproofing (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=73696) here at SMC and follow the links Steve provides and NOT the one I put down! :)

Jim Becker
02-20-2008, 2:26 PM
I did a somewhat simple method for noise abatement for my DC/compressor closet and it worked well...2x4 wall with fiberglass insulation in it (unfaced). The inside of the wall has 1/4" peg board installed with the "rough" surface exposed to the DC area. The outside has drywall. Venting back into the shop is with a "folded duct" to avoid direct noise transmission. Works great...I can hardly hear the system when it's running and no gates are open.

Congrats, Ken, on getting that baby fired up!

Mike Goetzke
02-20-2008, 3:23 PM
Where does most of the noise come from: Motor? Impeller? Ductwork?

Just curious.

Mike

Chris Padilla
02-20-2008, 3:30 PM
The exhaust is the noisiest part...that is where most install mufflers. Ductwork can also be noisy. Keep in mind that you are but a few small design changes from an air-raid siren!!

Steve Clardy
02-20-2008, 5:01 PM
Ok Ken. So your camera evaporated, or the DC sucked it outa your hands. :confused:

Where's the pic police when you need him? :confused::confused::confused:

Ken Fitzgerald
02-20-2008, 5:21 PM
Ok Ken. So your camera evaporated, or the DC sucked it outa your hands. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Yup Clardy! You're right!:eek::rolleyes::D