PDA

View Full Version : HVLP vrs compressor and HVLP gun

Billy Dodd
02-19-2008, 9:18 PM
Just curious what's everyone's opinion on the hvlp systems or the compressor and hvlp gun. I use a regular binks model 66 cup spray gun right now but am finally ready to make the jump to the hvlp and hopfully save some of the finish I keep spraying in the air.
I know nothing about the kinds of systems available or if they put on as good a finish as my binks gun does now. I've been using this same gun for probably close to 20 years so I've sorta figured out how to lay down a finish with it. It just I'm getting tired of the overspray .

Joe Chritz
02-20-2008, 6:48 AM
Very nice. There is still over spray but it is reduced.

I use a DeVilbis finishline which is their entry model and considerably lower quality then your binks. It does very well.

I figure if you finish in the shop and have a decent compressor then a conversion gun is the way to go. I prefer top cup guns. If you don't have a big compressor or work on site a lot a turbine is the way to go.

Joe

Mike Wilkins
02-20-2008, 9:20 AM
One of the back issues of Fine Woodworking had an article on spray finishing in one of the 2007 issues. I currently use one of the systems they recommend which is a contractor-type compressor (twin 5 gallon tanks) and a HVLP gun with the cup on top. I got my gun from Harbor Freight that comes with an attached pressure regulator, which works surprisingly well.
If you already have a compressor you are one step ahead already.