PDA

View Full Version : Repairing plank door

Ernie Starnes
02-19-2008, 9:14 PM
I need to repair a 36" x 80" x 1-3/4" thick circle top plank door that was kicked in. The door is on a home built in 1928 and is probably the original door. Other than extensive damage on the strike edge, it is in pretty decent shape. I was thinking that I could cut off the damaged plank and glue a new plank to that side of the door. It will then be painted (both sides), so I don't have to worry about matching grain or even species of wood (or do I?). I have a 3 hp Grizzly shaper and a Hitachi plunge router (very heavy duty). What do you recommend in the way of a glue joint bit and which tool should I use? I have a jointer but don't think there's any way I could use it to produce a straight edge on the part of the door left after cutting off the damaged plank.

Any suggestions?

Peter Quinn
02-19-2008, 9:28 PM
Cut off the damage. Joint remaining door edge with a flush trim/straight edge using the router. With routerand a slot cutter cut a 1/4" slot in door, 1/4" slot in the new piece, glue in 1/4" spline (for allignment), belt sand or plane flush, not much need for glue joint bit on this long grain glue up. Use good waterproof adhesive of your choice. Good luck.