PDA

View Full Version : $600 to spend on a planer.....

Chris Yarish
02-19-2008, 7:47 PM
I'm not big on buying used machinery....though I will be scouring the ads for something...
I am curious if anyone can direct me toward what they would consider the "best" planer for around $600. I can't get Grizzley (with any ease at least), and I have read the latest lunchbox planer shoot out in one of the magazines where the DeWalt 735 came out on top, or near the top at least. My schools' repair guy claims that this planer is a pain in the butt to change blades on. He praised the Rigid one from HD claiming blade changes were stupid simple.

Anyway, I need a planer but I'm wondering if it is worthwhile getting a cheap Steel City, King Industrial, or the likes, or get an "expensive" box store version like Dewalt's 735.

I ran a search on SMC and didn't get anything that really set me in motion. Any advice??? I can deviate up or down from the $600 price a bit, just not too much.

Jason Scott
02-19-2008, 8:09 PM
This is just me, but I like the Delta. I own a TP305 12.5" planer, it is the cheapest one they make I think, most people on here have the 13" which is what I would get doing it again, I think it is 400something, anyway, mine has been really good, but it is definetly more entry level, I will sell it someday and get a nicer Delta, or maybe even the Jet...But I have heard the Dewalt is the tops.

Rick Gifford
02-19-2008, 8:28 PM
I own the DW 735 and so far it seems like a good planer. I havent had to change the blades yet, but did watch them changed at a wood show, it didn't look difficult.

The Makita 2012NB 12" benchtop planer has extremely high reviews. I almost bought that one but didn't like the idea of having to buy the dust port seperate and it has a 3" opening rather than a standard one.

I was trying to keep my cost lower like yours. In the end with so many reviews touting the DW 735 I went ahead and gave it a shot. So far I am pleased with it.

Dave Hale
02-19-2008, 8:43 PM
Your school's repair guy is mistaken. The DW735 is a piece of cake. The knives are indexed, meaning there are slots in the knives and you just place the knife in the groove in the planer head (whatever they're called). The knives are reversible, so each side can be used. The planer comes with it's own t-wrench. 4 screws in the top, and 4 in each knife (3 or 4).
No caliper, no dial gauge, just slide them in and lock 'em down.
10 minutes tops.

He's probably thinking of the 734.

Now there are complaints that the knives don't last very long. I've cut around 500 ft of maple, walnut and cherry before I had to flip and I'm pretty sure that's mainly because I was planing end-grain. :eek:
Since I've got the drum sander, I don't do that anymore.

Oh yeah, the beast is NOISY!! But I like it.

Search for DW735. You might get more hits, and use the Google option in Search, much more effective.

Peter Quadarella
02-19-2008, 8:51 PM
Here are the 4 models that everyone around here will mention and say they like: DW734, DW735, Ridgid TP1300, Ridgid R4330.

I think it is basically a toss up between them and you will like whichever one you get. The R4330 is the newer version of the other Ridgid, and it comes with 3 knives instead of 2, but it doesn't come with an extra set of knives or a stand. The DW734 is similar to the Ridgids. The DW735 is about $100 more than the others, is a bit bigger and has some kind of a blower to get the chips out, but doesn't have built in feed tables. It's probably worth the extra money if you're interested.

I'm getting either the R4330 or DW734, because they have the same footprint as my spindle sander so I can put either one on a flip top stand with the sander. I am waiting until the Charlotte woodworking show comes by to see if there are any deals before pulling the trigger.

Peter Quinn
02-19-2008, 8:52 PM
I bought a delta DC-380 planer at an auction for $350 with 3 sets of knives. I love this machine, its worlds above any lunchbox. Not sorry I bought used. Course, I got lucky. If you can find a good used iron planer and have the space/budget, don't hesitate.

That said I also have a Dewalt 735 that I kept after buying the delta as a portable/backup. Its a noisy little beast...sounds like a pack of Turkeys caught in a turbine. Its also a very capable planer. Knife changes are easy...EASY..EASY!. I'm pretty sure a half trained circus monkey could do it right in 5 minutes. It uses reversable indexed knives like a Terminus head. Quick. Foolproof. Seriously.

A few nice features: precise depth control, VERY smooth finished surface from the 3 knife head, good infeed/outfeed extensions available, the chip blower on the exhaust works great. I have used it regularly without dust collection, just using the cloth hood that goes over a trash can. Nice setup on job sites or in the shop.

I do wish the knives lasted longer and man is it loud. Still the best lunchbox I've seen.

Joe Spear
02-20-2008, 7:29 AM
If you have $600 to spend, take as look at the Sears Craftsman 13", 3-blade with the digital thickness readout. It's around $550.

Rod Sheridan
02-20-2008, 8:07 AM
Hi Chris, although you state that you aren't big on used machinery, the amount of money you have to spend will purchase a used 15" cast iron planer.

If I were going to purchase a planer for $600, that's what I would spend my money on.

They are quieter, more powerful, take deeper cuts in harder woods, and last a lifetime.

Regards, Rod.

Alex Carrera
02-20-2008, 8:41 AM
I've got the R4330, and I bought a stand at harbor freight for less than $20. I'm very happy with it. Nice surface and no snipe. Not needing a cutterhead lock is also nice; I'm too impatient to keep locking and unlocking the thing. That said, I think that the DeWalt is a better unit, especially with the dual feed rates.