PDA

View Full Version : CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X4 shipping!

Dave Fifield
02-19-2008, 6:42 PM
I just got an email to tell me about an exclusive (existing) customer offer. $199 upgrade. Anyone got a copy yet? I'm sure I will get one soon....

Dave F.

Joe Pelonio
02-19-2008, 7:02 PM
On this subject, if I may tag along Dave, does x4 allow importing of those darned Word xdoc files?

James Stokes
02-20-2008, 7:41 AM
I have X-4. I just checked and I see no xdoc import file. I do not know what that file is, but still could not find it.
Right now I am not real happy with X-4. It will not import an auto cad file at all. Roy Brewer said he thought it did pretty good, But I sure can not get it to import. I also have problems with the text dockers. They do not work right. They have also broken the text dockers in to 2 pieces, one for the charactor and one for the paragraph. Using the dockers to change the text sometimes works and sometimes not.

Joe Pelonio
02-20-2008, 8:05 AM
I have X-4. I just checked and I see no xdoc import file. I do not know what that file is, but still could not find it.
Right now I am not real happy with X-4. It will not import an auto cad file at all. Roy Brewer said he thought it did pretty good, But I sure can not get it to import. I also have problems with the text dockers. They do not work right. They have also broken the text dockers in to 2 pieces, one for the charactor and one for the paragraph. Using the dockers to change the text sometimes works and sometimes not.
Xdoc is the format for the new Windows Vista Version of Word, sometimes people send it for something to be engraved.

So far sounds like no advantage to upgrading.

James Stokes
02-20-2008, 9:58 AM
Joe, I just looked again and there is a filter for Doc X. I will try it later today to see if it works. I have vista and the newest version of office.

I just tried it and it does import the file, But it did not import the clipart in it.

Roy Brewer
02-22-2008, 1:44 AM
It will not import an auto cad file at all. Roy Brewer said he thought it did pretty good, But I sure can not get it to import.James,
Over the past few years, I've collected 14 autoCAD files (some DXF and some DWG) that have caused problems in previous versions of DRAW. 13 of the 14 opened fine in X4. So I didn't mean to indicate it was perfect, but that's far better than any previous version.

James Stokes
02-22-2008, 4:51 AM
Roy, Do you know what version of the files you are importing? I am using Autocad 2007 & 2008. I have not tried to change them to older version. To be honest it did not occur to me to try to change them to an older format.

I recieved another autocad file today. I converted down to 2004 and it imported fine.

Roy Brewer
02-22-2008, 7:05 PM
Roy, Do you know what version of the files you are importing?James,
I do not know what versions they are; but I suspect you've hit on something. Most of the files in my test folder have been collected over the last seveal years, and therefore it would make sense that they are from older versions a aCAD.

Tony Severenuk (Corel)
02-27-2008, 3:39 PM
DRAW X4 will import docx files...it's in with the regular filter for Microsoft Word

Tony Severenuk (Corel)
02-27-2008, 3:42 PM
So far sounds like no advantage to upgrading.

There are some other older threads where this is discussed...there are some other goodies in there that would help out engravers....print merge updates..live text preview...single line engraver fonts...intergration with the "What The Font" service...I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet.

I know of a few instructors who will be at the ARA show using X4 because they like it better as well.

T.

Tony Severenuk (Corel)
02-27-2008, 3:47 PM
II also have problems with the text dockers. They do not work right. They have also broken the text dockers in to 2 pieces, one for the charactor and one for the paragraph. Using the dockers to change the text sometimes works and sometimes not.

This was done to try and help folks figure out what settings applied to different pieces of text..whether it be characters, paragraphs..frames..

FWIW, one of our engineers made a new text docker that can be loaded in X4 (sorry it doesn't work in X3)...and it's availalbe at
http://macromonster.com/index.php?mod=descr&id_desc=26&

..for free..

T.