PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to Chris Bruno

Mark Engel
02-19-2008, 6:18 PM
A heartfelt thank you goes out to Chris Bruno for this heads up:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=76946

I took the drive down to Fitchburg today and came home with 10 of the oak planks. As you can see from the picture, driving home was a lot of fun. My Mom used to call this putting 10 pounds of potatoes in a 5 pound sack.

These 10 planks are ~3" thick by 8" wide and all are 12'+ in length.

The bed on my truck is 5-1/2". :eek:

Chris Bruno
02-19-2008, 7:53 PM
That's an impressive haul considering the limitations of the hauler! As Don mentioned in another thread, I did go and take 8 more of the long pieces in the suburban today.... I easily could have loaded up more, but honestly, I don't have that many projects that I was going to use oak for...I just felt too guilty from the previous thread about not going to get it. There's still a ton of it left.

I actually just got in from stacking mine outside and covering it with a tarp.. As I look at the entire thing, I have no idea how I'm going to use it all! But I'm sure I will. :D:D

-Chris

Jim Becker
02-19-2008, 9:05 PM
Wow...now that's a wonderful source for any "oak-a-haul-ics" up in the northeast!

Don Abele
02-19-2008, 9:31 PM
Mark, nice score. Would have like to have met you there. Chris and I arrived a few hours after you. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=77102

Of course, I thought having 5 feet of the lumber hanging out my tailgate was a little hairy. Especially since I have a 45 minute drive home down 495. Yours just looks scary :eek: But it got the goodies home :D

Be well,

Doc

Mark Engel
02-20-2008, 9:58 AM
50 feet of 3/8" braided nylon rope helped to steady the load.

Mark Engel
02-20-2008, 10:09 AM
I actually just got in from stacking mine outside and covering it with a tarp.. As I look at the entire thing, I have no idea how I'm going to use it all! But I'm sure I will. :D:D

-Chris

I am sure you will come up with projects on which to use this stuff.

I found a similar deal to this in the The Want Advertiser about 10 years ago. A guy was selling 4x4x8' oak beams that he collected. He was asking $5 each, which worked out to about .46/bf. I bought all he had at the time, which was about 30 (I think). I got the whole load for $100. I have been using them up slowly ever since. There are still 12 left out in the back yard. They are now very well 'air dried'.