PDA

View Full Version : Who will the next "Norm" be?

Jason White
02-19-2008, 6:10 PM
TV shows come and go, but Norm is arguably the undisputed "king" when it comes to woodworkers on television who have had the greatest impact on people like us. But he can't last forever.

So, who do you think the next Norm will be?

JW

Mike Spanbauer
02-19-2008, 6:17 PM
good question, and not one I'd bet anyone will get.

There have been many attempts by many networks over the last 10 years. Some faces are recognizable for sure, but it will be some time before anyone is considered to have the staying power of Norm.

mike

Ken Fitzgerald
02-19-2008, 6:19 PM
There is and only will be one "Nahm"!

Mark Engel
02-19-2008, 6:30 PM
There is and only will be one "Nahm"!

"Cheers" to that.

Oh wait, that's the wrong tv show. ;)

Jason Scott
02-19-2008, 6:37 PM
Yep, grew up wathing that genius, love that guy, I hope he is as nice in person as on tv. Anyway, my vote would be Marc Spag. I already think he is the internet Norm, and what I like is he is young like me, and makes woodworking cool and funny, plus the guy has taught me a bunch from his videos...I just hope he stays as friendly when he hits the big time lol.

Jason

Lee Koepke
02-19-2008, 6:42 PM
The difference is, most shows are now based on speed, shortcuts, and cheap. .... that leaves most craftsmen out.

That mimicks our society, so unfortunately, I would doubt you would see a plethora of craftsmen on TV.

Its a shame the 'networks' dont spend at least SOME of their efforts on tradecraft vs cheap and easy.

Rooms are not meant to be renovated in 48 hrs.

Doug Shepard
02-19-2008, 6:44 PM
I predict that HD, Lowes, or maybe Ace Hardware will sponsor a Woodworking with the Stars show where every nobody celeb trying to revive their career will grab a Skil-saw and butcher up some lumber. And some rude Enlgish dude will slam them on their technique. Hmm - Wonder how Brittany Spears would look in flannel....??:D

Randal Stevenson
02-19-2008, 7:00 PM
IMHO, UNTIL someone is on Broadcast tv, No one will have the impact Norm did. You don't have to have satelite, or high faluting cable to see his show, and I know those that would rather spend money on tools or wood, then tv.

That said, I heard that they are already planning on who will replace him, so I figure that is one possibility.

David Axmann
02-19-2008, 7:02 PM
Once Norm hangs up his toolbelt we'll be seeing him in reruns for a few more years. There will probably be a few new shows that pop up in an attempt to ascend the throne but they won't last. Then...nothing. My guess is that we will be hard pressed to find any woodworking oriented show on tv. NYW is a one in a million thing. How many shows last for 20 years with the same 'cast' and format? Norm is NYW and NYW is Norm.

Geoff Potter
02-19-2008, 7:18 PM
I think they will bring someone into the shop to apprentice with Norm for a couple of years and then "spin off" the "The Apprentice NYW"!

Monroe Brown
02-19-2008, 7:39 PM
Tommy may be the next Norm. He's got the same type of appeal. Not sure how his furniture making skills stack up.

Just a thought. Keeps it in the "Old House" family.

MB

keith ouellette
02-19-2008, 7:40 PM
Its going to be me. Norm just has to keep going for another 20 or 30 years till I'm ready.

Ben Cadotte
02-19-2008, 7:48 PM
I think WGBH has alot to do with it. They are a power house for PBS. I am not too sure cable networks believe there is a wide enough audience for specifically woodworking. Now 30 shows on how to paint a room. Millions want to paint right? :rolleyes: Most of the woodworkig shows I have seen have all been PBS based. It would be up to them to keep it going I am betting.

Jim Becker
02-19-2008, 9:08 PM
Ben, I agree that WGBH has been and important force in this, but the real credit goes to Russ Morash who has held the standard high for quality DIY and craftsmanship programing on PBS and beyond. Without Russ, we certainly wouldn't have Norm, nor TOH. (and Victory Garden, etc.)

It's really hard to say who or even IF there will be a "next Norm"...it's a tough market in so many ways and the majority of viewer tastes may not create the right conditions for a "next Norm", even if there is someone worthy.

Greg Hines, MD
02-19-2008, 9:25 PM
There are many possible choices for when the Master Carpenter retires. I could see many of the various magazine editors out there, such as Chris Schwartz, that might have enough of a following to be able to step into the Toolbelt. Beyond that, who knows? Maybe someone that Norm picks himself?

Doc

Dave Lehnert
02-19-2008, 10:23 PM
There are many possible choices for when the Master Carpenter retires. I could see many of the various magazine editors out there, such as Chris Schwartz, that might have enough of a following to be able to step into the Toolbelt. Beyond that, who knows? Maybe someone that Norm picks himself?

Doc

My vote would also go to Chris Schwartz. The Pop woodworking shop is about 30min from the house. I got to meet him twice now. Very well schooled in his craft and a great teacher.

Colin Giersberg
02-19-2008, 10:33 PM
It could be one of the better known woodworkers that have their own school, such as Lonnie Bird, but I believe that when Norm drives his last brad, or screw on the show, that will be it. Not knocking anyone else taking over, but I just don't see anyone to replace him. When he goes, that will be a sad day.

Regards, Colin

Matt Schell
02-19-2008, 11:14 PM
I enjoy watching the wood whisperer. He is knowledgeable, down to earth, sense of humor.

Bob Feeser
02-20-2008, 12:34 AM
Norm is an original, and nobody will replace him. Nobody should. Who I would like to see more of is David Marks. He is my kind of woodworker. Before I get into DM, let me just say I have learned so much from Norm. His practical approach to woodworking is appealing to a wide range of people. David Marks creates pieces that trancend making boxes. His designs, choice of woods, techniques, and finishes break into new strata. I mean look at his chair
http://www.djmarks.com/portfolio/scarabchair.jpg

Doesn't that remind you of a prize winning dog that you just saw in the Kennel club awards. How about ornate designs
http://www.djmarks.com/portfolio/bar1.jpg

http://www.djmarks.com/photos/woodworks/305_glasstoptable1.jpg

I see a lot of really incredible pieces right here at SMC. I think we should all enjoy woodworking at whatever level pleases us, while always striving to elevate our methods, and understanding.
I think more women in woodworking holds a lot of appeal to the male of us in the industry.
Just to stay within topic, I wish David Marks program was running on the local channels. I have Direct TV, which I love, but I have to buy a package of shows to be able to get David Marks show. I wish he was on public broadcasting. David Marks has a fondness for old tools, industrial grade, like a 16" planer, yet keeps his smaller one for normal operations. He really understands how to set them up. I was especially impressed with his band saw set up tips. He even built a sanding apparatus to dress the tires to keep an exactly even blade movement. I could go on about his shop, his dedication to the art. That is just my opinion. I TIVO every one of Norms shows, and have a huge box, going back years of VHS copies of his shows. Norm is great. David is too.

Cody Colston
02-20-2008, 12:36 AM
It could be one of the better known woodworkers that have their own school, such as Lonnie Bird, but I believe that when Norm drives his last brad, or screw on the show, that will be it. Not knocking anyone else taking over, but I just don't see anyone to replace him. When he goes, that will be a sad day.

Regards, Colin

I completely agree. In fact, Russell Morash has already started lobbying to have the NYW enshrined in the Smithsonian, similar to Julia Child's kitchen.

The next "Norm", if there is one, will have to be someone who has popular appeal, comes across well on-screen and is able to connect with the audience. Just because someone is accomplished at woodworking, ala Chris Schwartz, doesn't mean that he will appeal to TV watchers.

For whatever reason, lots of "expert" woodworkers detest Norm but he is a favorite (with me) and among novices and many non-woodworking viewers. That's what it will take for another woodworking TV show to be successful. The host will have to appeal to more than just woodworkers, unfortunately.

Tim Marks
02-20-2008, 5:50 AM
Fortunately, this is PBS...

So we won't be subjected to "The Reality NYW", where 15 enterprising youths compete against each other in a nasty, backbiting contest to see who can build a chair that won't collapse the fastest, all the while libeling and voting each other off the show.

Unfortunately, I think that kind of television seems to be the only new thing that producers will buy today.

I don't get it, and refuse to watch it. It just makes me cranky.

Don Dorn
02-20-2008, 7:12 AM
My vote would also go to Chris Schwartz. The Pop woodworking shop is about 30min from the house. I got to meet him twice now. Very well schooled in his craft and a great teacher.

I agree in theory, but I got his video "Course, Medium and Fine" and had to force myself to stay awake - it took me two sessions to get through it. It was the same with "Forgotten Hand Tools". He belabors a point forever before he demonstrates anything and he's got a monotone delivery.

Personally, I don't think he has any camera appeal, but I think he's a fantastic writer and does a great job as editor of PW. I can read him and have really learned from that, but I can't watch him.

Phil Warnement
02-20-2008, 8:21 AM
I don't ever think you will see Tom Silva replacing Norm. But, I really believe his woodworking skills are on the same plane as Norm's. I thought I heard somewhere that he has refurbished many houses and also a number of boats. You can see the work he does on TOH and Ask TOH. What I like is that he does things "correctly," and, when he is finished you won't have to touch the project for a long time.

I would really like to see him make some of the same projects that Norm makes. I think it would be tough to tell the difference in quality.

Just my thoughts............

Randal Stevenson
02-20-2008, 9:04 AM
I completely agree. In fact, Russell Morash has already started lobbying to have the NYW enshrined in the Smithsonian, similar to Julia Child's kitchen.

This sounds to me like he wants his shed back.

Jason Scott
02-20-2008, 10:26 AM
Yeah, David Marks is another one I would like to see, but I think since his show ended on DIY he will not be coming back to television, he runs a really successful school at his ranch I think now. Marc Spag. did a good interview with him that is really interesting.

Norm is an original, and nobody will replace him. Nobody should. Who I would like to see more of is David Marks. He is my kind of woodworker. Before I get into DM, let me just say I have learned so much from Norm. His practical approach to woodworking is appealing to a wide range of people. David Marks creates pieces that trancend making boxes. His designs, choice of woods, techniques, and finishes break into new strata. I mean look at his chair
http://www.djmarks.com/portfolio/scarabchair.jpg

Doesn't that remind you of a prize winning dog that you just saw in the Kennel club awards. How about ornate designs
http://www.djmarks.com/portfolio/bar1.jpg

http://www.djmarks.com/photos/woodworks/305_glasstoptable1.jpg

I see a lot of really incredible pieces right here at SMC. I think we should all enjoy woodworking at whatever level pleases us, while always striving to elevate our methods, and understanding.
I think more women in woodworking holds a lot of appeal to the male of us in the industry.
Just to stay within topic, I wish David Marks program was running on the local channels. I have Direct TV, which I love, but I have to buy a package of shows to be able to get David Marks show. I wish he was on public broadcasting. David Marks has a fondness for old tools, industrial grade, like a 16" planer, yet keeps his smaller one for normal operations. He really understands how to set them up. I was especially impressed with his band saw set up tips. He even built a sanding apparatus to dress the tires to keep an exactly even blade movement. I could go on about his shop, his dedication to the art. That is just my opinion. I TIVO every one of Norms shows, and have a huge box, going back years of VHS copies of his shows. Norm is great. David is too.

scott spencer
02-20-2008, 10:49 AM
Gail O'Rourke of course!

Grant Davis
02-20-2008, 11:17 AM
Just curious as to how old Norm is by the way?

Greg Cole
02-20-2008, 11:57 AM
Rooms are not meant to be renovated in 48 hrs.

Nor are homes meant to be built in 5-6 days......

Greg

Mike Vermeil
02-20-2008, 12:51 PM
It'll be someone you've never heard of. It's not about how much you know, but how much you can get across to your audience.

My Dad used to always ask, would you rather have a teacher who has a grasp of 90 percent of the knowledge base, but can only get across 50% of what he knows, or a teacher who grasps only 80% of the knowledge base, but can get across 90% of what he knows?

Norm has an uncanny ability to clearly and concisely explain mechanical tenchique over the TV - something obviously not so easily done if you've watched other shows.

Thom Sturgill
02-20-2008, 1:23 PM
I agree, IF they replace Norm, it will be someone you never heard of, but may have seen once. Like when Bob Vila left TOH and they replaced him with Kevin. Kevin had been one of the home owners they had worked with and they liked how he showed up on camera. Never mind that he was not an expert, his job was getting the experts to explain what they were doing.

That may not work for NYW, but the same thought that form is more important than function might still hold. They could 'dumb down' the show with someone that comes across on camera well and use a better wood-worker off camera to do the real work.

Thomas Knighton
02-20-2008, 1:30 PM
My Dad used to always ask, would you rather have a teacher who has a grasp of 90 percent of the knowledge base, but can only get across 50% of what he knows, or a teacher who grasps only 80% of the knowledge base, but can get across 90% of what he knows?

My Dad had a math professor who was absolutely brilliant. He probably knew all the numbers of Pi or something equally brilliant and incomprehensible. However, he couldn't convey things to the undergraduate level. When someone asked a question like "Why?", his response was "don't ask, it's magic." He knew why, but couldn't explain it to a single person who wasnt' a mathmatician themselves.

Personally, the person who seems to be best able to convey what they know and do it in an entertaining manner is Marc Spagnoulo (The Wood Whisperer for any who don't know). Personally, I enjoy his show, even when he's not cutting the fool a bit ;)

Tom

Rod Sheridan
02-20-2008, 1:41 PM
Personally, the person who seems to be best able to convey what they know and do it in an entertaining manner is Marc Spagnoulo (The Wood Whisperer for any who don't know). Personally, I enjoy his show, even when he's not cutting the fool a bit ;)

Tom

How about Mag Ruffman?

Scott Kilroy
02-20-2008, 1:59 PM
Tommy may be the next Norm. He's got the same type of appeal. Not sure how his furniture making skills stack up.

Just a thought. Keeps it in the "Old House" family.

MB

As much as I like Tommy he doesn't have the same demeanor. Tommy always seems like he's trying to beat the clock. I think a big part of Norm's charm is that he acts like he would be building something and you just stopped by and showed an interest it what's he's doing. The fact that my wife and kids will watch NYWS with me even though they have little to no interest in woodworking makes me think that he's one of a kind.

Also I think a big part of Norms staying power is that he doesn't seem like he wanted to be on TV.

Jim Becker
02-20-2008, 2:08 PM
Gail O'Rourke of course!

Gail certainly is worthy of a place on the airwaves for a long time to come. She does great work and I think will "click" with the audience quite well.

Carl Eyman
02-20-2008, 3:32 PM
Is Gail on the air? I hadn't heard. I don't imagine we get it locally, but does anyone know how to determine when and where to find her?

Sam Yerardi
02-20-2008, 3:36 PM
I think it will be Red Green

Rod Sheridan
02-20-2008, 4:08 PM
I think it will be Red Green

What??

A Canadian Norm?

Would Red Green have to take elocution lessons to obtain a Bostonian drawl?

Regards, Rod.

Pat Germain
02-20-2008, 4:41 PM
I think the only candidate out there who could have an appeal equal to Norm is Marc "The Wood Whisperer" Spagnuolo. He is young, funny, very down to earth, very good at communicating to the average person and he's a David Marks protoge. What more could anyone want? Oh, he's got a cute wife who works behind the scenes and does cameos. :)

I'm thinking Marc's format of online video podcasts may be the future of woodworking shows. As many have already mentioned, today's typical DIY show on TV is pretty darned lame. They're more about hot and hunky hosts than actual information.

Is Gail O'Rourke doing a show? Will it actually come to broadcast or cable TV, or is it currently just in the development and pitch stage?

Pat Germain
02-20-2008, 4:44 PM
I agree, IF they replace Norm, it will be someone you never heard of, but may have seen once. Like when Bob Vila left TOH and they replaced him with Kevin.

Wasn't Bob Villa replaced with Steve Thomas? Almost nobody liked that guy. He was the proverbial no-manual-labor Yuppie. He was more of a stock broker with a minor interest in old homes.

Fred Voorhees
02-20-2008, 4:48 PM
Wasn't Bob Villa replaced with Steve Thomas? Almost nobody liked that guy. He was the proverbial no-manual-labor Yuppie. He was more of a stock broker with a minor interest in old homes.

Yes, Steve Thomas replaced Bob Vila. Kevin replaced Steve.

Glenn Clabo
02-20-2008, 4:55 PM
Actually...Steve made a living as a carpenter, boat builder and sailor before he went to TOH. He is the most talented host that TOH has had. The old guy was a money grubber...and the new guy...well all he knows how to do is touch things...and it drives me NUTS!

Mike Spanbauer
02-20-2008, 6:21 PM

Steve was an extremly accomplished woodworker and professional carpenter. I think you're confusing Steve with Kevin (the current host) who at times seems to not know which end of the hammer to swing.

Eager as all get out, but he hasn't really learned anything since taking over the show from steve.

Steve left the show on his own terms (to raise his newborn) after a very respectable 13 or 14 seasons.

mike

Rich Schneider
02-20-2008, 10:03 PM
I agree that unless PBS keeps it up it will be unlikely that a traditional commercial broadcast company will do it. The appeal is narrow, the production/delivery cost is high. Heck it costs our own PBS station some crazy amount of money just to have New Yankee Workshop (I want to say they keep telling us during pledge drives that NYW costs our local PBS something like $25000 or more, and that the combo of NYW, TOH, and Ask TOH are something like $100,000 plus per year). So if nobody donates to cover NYW but they all donate to cover another dang cooking show (I think we are up to 7 now on our PBS station, maybe more) then that is what we get. Cooking shows are cheap..you need a stove, a pan, and heck in some cases they don't even shill out for expensive stuff..instead they tell you how to make a meal of tripe and potatoe skins..plus you can make 15 different things in a day....woodworking shows are generally not cheap (unless your Roy Underhill)...lots of machinery, lots of wood, lots of time, several days for a project, etc...

Jim Becker
02-21-2008, 8:47 AM
The interesting thing, Rich, is that production doesn't have to be expensive. Pro-sumer and even consumer video gear (including HD capable) is relatively inexpensive at this point and since very capable editing software is also readily available at reasonable cost, creating very usable content is approachable by even independents. The planning and organization is the key...something I've been thinking about as I consider doing some short video things for my own online contributions to the community.

Jeffrey Makiel
02-21-2008, 11:09 AM
...something I've been thinking about as I consider doing some short video things for my own online contributions to the community.

If you persue this thought, I have a wonderful recipe for Chicken Primavera :).

-Jeff :)

Pat Germain
02-21-2008, 11:48 AM
Steve was an extremly accomplished woodworker and professional carpenter. I think you're confusing Steve with Kevin (the current host) who at times seems to not know which end of the hammer to swing.

I wasn't confusing the two guys. I've seen only a couple of TOH episodes with Kevin, but I used to watch the episodes with Steve all the time. It seems I wasn't giving Steve Thomas a fair shake. I had no idea he had a background in any kind of manual labor. I never saw him do anything on TOH other than drive his truck around, visit manufacturing plants and ask Norm what he was doing.

Steve Thomas does have the ability to communicate well. Now that his bambino is older, perhaps he should start his own show. I'd like to see what he can do. Based on numerous posts on the old woodworking newsgroups, I'm certainly not the only one who viewed him as a do-nothing Yuppie.

Mike Spanbauer
02-21-2008, 12:20 PM
That's an interesting suggestion. I wonder if he'd do it though, apparently the schedules that these hosts have to adhere to in order to meet production demands are grueling and often wear them out.

I know that the time involved with David Marks for his shows was wicked intense and sometimes the shooting days would go 16-18 hours straight (every show was shot in 2 days)

mike

Danny Thompson
02-21-2008, 1:24 PM
Another vote for Chris Schwarz for substance. But Ty Pennington will probably win for style.

Bryan Berguson
02-21-2008, 1:29 PM
Just curious as to how old Norm is by the way?

Norm was 43 in 1993 according to an article in the April 1993 issue of Fine Woodworking. I guess that would put him at 58 now.

Bryan

Marc Spagnuolo
02-21-2008, 1:54 PM
While I am honored at the mention of my name in this thread, I have a slightly different viewpoint. At that risk of pulling a Time Magazine Person of the Year (2006) move, I really think the next Norm will be the woodworking community itself.

Norm has solidified his place in history by bringing home woodworking to the masses. Norm and NYW are a recognizable brand built up from years and years of TV presence. Is something like this repeatable?? Not likely. I think we can see the writing on the wall as far as television goes these days. That's not to say there wont be a good show now and then. But I question the staying power of a true woodworking TV show.

With the relatively recent surge of woodworking blogs and podcasts and the general decline of quality tv programming, the landscape is clearly changing. Gone are the days of the solitary garage/basement woodworker, taking a few pointers here and there from Norm on a Saturday morning. NYW is great (I dont miss an episode), but if you are trying to learn about woodworking, your Saturday morning is better spent on the internet. Instead of learning from one woodworker and walking away with one opinion, you can now watch thousands of woodworkers with various woodworking backgrounds. It's truly amazing what we have at our disposal these days!

So in my humble opinion, the next Norm is YOU!

Jerome Hanby
02-21-2008, 2:13 PM
The thing that kills me about David Marks is he will be going along on a project and I'm thinking, I could do that, wow he has the same biscuit joiner I do, or that doesn't look impossible and boom he will pull out some gizmo I've never seen before, have never heard of, and could never dream of owning...:p

Norm is an original, and nobody will replace him. Nobody should. Who I would like to see more of is David Marks. He is my kind of woodworker.

Mike Spanbauer
02-21-2008, 2:23 PM
However, one thing about David is that he'll demonstrate practically every technique to accomplish a specific task during different show segments.

Many of these hosts only approach a technique in a single way, but David intentionally uses different methods to get the job done.

M/T for instance

Handcut, tablesaw and mortise press (I've only seen him use this one once), router template, and multi-router. Each achieve the same rough ending, but all are different approaches. If one of those isn't feasible or attractive, well... perhaps M/T aren't for you ? :)

Hand planes, grinders, sanders, scrapers (used so profusely he's had tendon surgery on both thumbs) all... David shows how it is all done. That is admirable from a teaching standpoint and I know of no other TV host who has approached their show from such a direction.

mike

Scott Kilroy
02-21-2008, 2:31 PM

No way, my shop is way to messy to be on TV :D

Seriously, I hope when Norm retires they end NYWS and start some other show with a diffrent name. I really couldn't imagine anyone else in that shop.

Pat Germain
02-21-2008, 3:30 PM
While I am honored at the mention of my name in this thread, I have a slightly different viewpoint. At that risk of pulling a Time Magazine Person of the Year (2006) move, I really think the next Norm will be the woodworking community itself...

Gee Marc, you're even humble to boot. ;) You make some very good points. I have learned volumes from you and your web site in just the past few months. Of course, I've also learned a lot from the good folks here on SMC as well as other web sites. But I still like to watch NYW and Woodworks. I learn something each time I watch.

David Marks' Woodworks show continues to do well in reruns three years after it wrapped up and people are clammoring for a DVD release. Wouldn't you say this suggests there's still a market for a good TV woodworking show?

Marc Spagnuolo
02-21-2008, 3:58 PM
Well, in our little world the market seems good for it, but our viewpoints are skewed. In the grand scheme of things, a woodworking show can't really hold a candle against programming for the masses. Its sad but true. And since the networks just want to make money, it only makes sense that we see less and less niche programming. And if it weren't for cable and satellite channel bundles, the niche channels we have today probably wouldn't even survive.

So sure there is room for these shows, but if they aren't deemed profitable, I wouldn't count on seeing them on TV. And believe me, I would LOVE nothing more than to be proved wrong. The more shows the merrier!

Jim Becker
02-21-2008, 4:01 PM
While I am honored at the mention of my name in this thread, I have a slightly different viewpoint. At that risk of pulling a Time Magazine Person of the Year (2006) move, I really think the next Norm will be the woodworking community itself.

~snip~

With the relatively recent surge of woodworking blogs and podcasts and the general decline of quality tv programming, the landscape is clearly changing. Gone are the days of the solitary garage/basement woodworker, taking a few pointers here and there from Norm on a Saturday morning. NYW is great (I dont miss an episode), but if you are trying to learn about woodworking, your Saturday morning is better spent on the internet. Instead of learning from one woodworker and walking away with one opinion, you can now watch thousands of woodworkers with various woodworking backgrounds. It's truly amazing what we have at our disposal these days!

I think there is a lot of wisdom in what you say, Marc. Your own work is a prime example, too.

Wilbur Pan
02-21-2008, 4:40 PM
The interesting thing, Rich, is that production doesn't have to be expensive. Pro-sumer and even consumer video gear (including HD capable) is relatively inexpensive at this point and since very capable editing software is also readily available at reasonable cost, creating very usable content is approachable by even independents. The planning and organization is the key...something I've been thinking about as I consider doing some short video things for my own online contributions to the community.

It's true that the price of video gear is coming down, but you also have lights, microphones, cables, the time to take to edit and mix, not to mention all the hard drives you'll have to buy to store all that HD video you're going to shoot.

It's like thinking that your only expenditure for woodturning is going to be the lathe. ;)

Bill Wyko
02-21-2008, 5:54 PM
I'd do a show but the whole season would be one project.:D How about you Jim? You've got what it takes.:)

Mark Rios
02-21-2008, 6:06 PM
I just found thread and, for the benefit of the community, I did an exhaustive research project to definitively ascertain who the next Norm will be.

After many thousands of seconds I found that the next "Norm" will be:.........................................

Gary Coleman

Marc Spagnuolo
02-21-2008, 6:55 PM
Well then that brings up another very good question: Who's going to be the next Gary Coleman?????

Wilbur Pan
02-21-2008, 7:28 PM
Todd Bridges? ;)

Paul Girouard
02-21-2008, 7:28 PM
I noticed a few things about Steve Thomas so I goggled him . He did infact work as a carpenter on a ship back in 1977 and has done some DIY home remodeling on hoises he flipped , before "flipping" was a term I'd guess. I don't think he's a carpenter that could replace Norm , nor do I think he'd present himself as one. But maybe he would , he sure "acted down" on TOH if that is the case , at least IMO.

He has lead a interesting life, I wonder if he's from family money? It that either diverse / odd.

Link to his website and a Wikie bio.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0859542/bio

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Thomas_(television)

Bill Wyko
02-21-2008, 7:56 PM
How's Gary giong to reach the table saw?:eek:

John A. Williams
02-21-2008, 8:06 PM
Who's Gail O'Rourke?

Jim Becker
02-21-2008, 8:22 PM
Well then that brings up another very good question: Who's going to be the next Gary Coleman?????

Well...if you know, Marc...you can, um...whisper...it to us... :D :D :D

Colin Giersberg
02-21-2008, 8:32 PM
How's Gary giong to reach the table saw?:eek:

I figure he would have to build a step stool, just to show us that he has some kind of talent, but he would have to use handheld power tools to cut the parts to size. After that, I guess the skies the limit. Well, maybe not, since he is vertically impaired.

Regards, Colin

Dave Sabo
02-21-2008, 10:05 PM
As much as I like Tommy he doesn't have the same demeanor. Tommy always seems like he's trying to beat the clock.

Probably because HE IS trying to beat the clock. When you see him on a showit's simply a byproduct of the fact that the construction company he runs is the GC on the project going. He has real $$$, time, and personality constraints to manage just like every other GC on a remodel. Oh - by the way there will be 2 cameras, a few lights, a gaffer, a producer a some xtra cables around your sight today, nothing major , and I promise nothing will get in your way.

When you see Norm , you've got an edited version of a 2 day shoot that was shot after a prototype was done and the bugs worked out. On Tom's takes, there is just not time to set up a shot and take it 5 times if it doesn't look quite right or he nutted up. The particular job being shot has to be finished (that day) or the, owner, bankers, producers, WGBH all have a meltdown. There is just not time to work it out. The shot has to be used or scrapped and something else shot.

Norman Pyles
02-21-2008, 10:16 PM
Who's Gail O'Rourke?
She has a website "Hometown Woodworking".

Kevin Godshall
02-22-2008, 7:58 AM
The most amazing thing about the show "New Yankee Workshop" is because it's Norm. As a wood worker, I appreciate his ethic, his abilities, his knowledge. A non woodworker easily sees his practicality, his down to earth personality, and his teaching method. These people are very hard, if not impossible to replace. I truly pity anyone who tries to be the "next Norm".

PS. It won't be me........I don't own near enough clamps.

Pat Germain
02-22-2008, 10:54 AM
He has lead a interesting life, I wonder if he's from family money? It that either diverse / odd.

Wow! Sailing a 43 foot wooden sloop from England to San Francisco is one mean feat! And that was long before the days of GPS. I guess that Zen Master of Celestial Navigation really knew what he was doing and was able to pass it down to Steve Thomas.

It seems very likely he had access to some major financial support. I was dirt poor as a young man. I had to join the Navy to go to sea! :p

Paul Girouard
02-22-2008, 11:01 AM
It seems very likely he had access to some major financial support. I was dirt poor as a young man. I had to join the Navy to go to sea! :p

That's what I was thinking . On the going to sea bit as well "Roger that!" I wonder IF I looked at writing a bio if I just include my sea miles I'm sure with 1 WESPAC , 1 OI , 1 Med , , 1 NORALT , 1 Trinidad / Tobago cruise I could surpass his nautical miles. But then I was just along for the ride , maybe he was as well and it's just a "fluffed up" bio?? :D

Curt Harms
02-22-2008, 11:01 AM
The most amazing thing about the show "New Yankee Workshop" is because it's Norm. As a wood worker, I appreciate his ethic, his abilities, his knowledge. A non woodworker easily sees his practicality, his down to earth personality, and his teaching method. These people are very hard, if not impossible to replace. I truly pity anyone who tries to be the "next Norm".

PS. It won't be me........I don't own near enough clamps.

What Kevin says is right, but don't ignore the Russell Morash component. I think it's sort of like Bill Walsh & Joe Montana or Tom Brady & Bill Belichick. Would either have been as good without the other?

Curt

Jason White
02-22-2008, 4:31 PM
Maybe that guy who plays "Mini Me" in the Austin Powers movies.
:D

Marc Spagnuolo
02-23-2008, 2:46 AM
Right height.......too pale...... :)

Bill Pealer
02-23-2008, 8:01 AM
Well John Marks just came on, so there may be an option.

Kevin Godshall
02-23-2008, 8:23 AM
What Kevin says is right, but don't ignore the Russell Morash component. I think it's sort of like Bill Walsh & Joe Montana or Tom Brady & Bill Belichick. Would either have been as good without the other?

Curt

You don't mean to imply that Norm is somehow secreting filming other woodworkers to get the advantage are you..............?

Paul Girouard
02-23-2008, 9:29 AM
Well John Marks just came on, so there may be an option.

I thought his name was David ? :confused:

Curt Harms
02-23-2008, 10:20 AM
You don't mean to imply that Norm is somehow secreting filming other woodworkers to get the advantage are you..............?

No, but a skilled producer/director could almost make ME look good.:o

Roger Wilson
02-23-2008, 12:52 PM
Steve Thomas is also a very competant deep water sailer. He wrote a book about his time with the natives in micronesia learning how they navigated without modern technology. It's called "The Last Navigator"

From the Library Journal review:

"Thomas, an experienced deep-water sailor, had long been fascinated by Micronesian navigators who, without maps, compasses, or sextants, sailed hundreds of miles between the islands of Oceania. To discover how these men traveled with only natural signs for guidance, he apprenticed himself to one of the few remaining navigators and lived with him on Satawal for many months."

Gary Keedwell
02-23-2008, 1:52 PM

Curthttp://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/NewEnglandPatriots1.gif Go Pats:o:o Couldn't resist.

Paul Girouard
02-23-2008, 2:04 PM
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/NewEnglandPatriots1.gif Go Pats:o:o Couldn't resist.

Weren't they the team that almost had a good year :confused: , when was that , 1985 :confused: :D

I wonder if Norm is also still in mourning?

Vic Damone
02-23-2008, 7:24 PM
This is a great topic, thanks Jason.

Ralph Cramdon

Whom ever the next person is, I'd like to see some of the mistakes and at least the illusion of profanity. All that perfect dry assembly simply can't be. New Yankee Bloopers and Kickbacks, dropped tools, spilled varnish.

Vic

James Ayars
03-01-2008, 6:02 PM
I always liked Steve Thomas. I thought he came acros as knowledgeable but sedate. So many hosts on tv now act like they're on speed.

I find it interesting that Bob Vila was fired due to his work for Sears and yet you can now find the TOH name on a host of things as well.

As to Kevin, it seems his role is to play the wide eyed youngster in awe of everything. He comes across in a far less favorable light than Steve did. One one episode of TOH, Kevin was asking a stone mason where he was from. When the mason replied Wisconsin, Kevin hyperventilated while exclaiming "Wisconsin, tell me about the cheese!". The mason replied in an annoyed tone "I grew up in a stone quarry, I don't know anything about cheese."

I think Kevin knows more than he lets on, but showing a lot of knowledge wouldn't give the other guys their lead ins to explain what/why they are doing things.

James

Scott Kilroy
03-02-2008, 12:17 PM
...Kevin was asking a stone mason where he was from. When the mason replied Wisconsin, Kevin hyperventilated while exclaiming "Wisconsin, tell me about the cheese!". The mason replied in an annoyed tone "I grew up in a stone quarry, I don't know anything about cheese."...

This may sound strange but I thought that moment was one of the most unintentionally funny things I've ever seen on TV. Also I didn't think the guy from Wisconsin was annoyed, I thought he was just very "mater of fact" (sort of Joe Friday from Dragnet).

I like Kevin, I think he's supposed to ask the questions that a lot of people at home would ask. Steve was alright, and for reasons I can't articulate Bob always annoyed me.

Scott Kilroy
03-02-2008, 12:26 PM
Probably because HE IS trying to beat the clock. When you see him on a showit's simply a byproduct of the fact that the construction company he runs is the GC on the project going. He has real $$$, time, and personality constraints to manage just like every other GC on a remodel. Oh - by the way there will be 2 cameras, a few lights, a gaffer, a producer a some xtra cables around your sight today, nothing major , and I promise nothing will get in your way.

Nothing against Tom, He's very skilled and I really like how he takes a lot of pride in what he does. I've dome more home repair then actual woodworking at this point, and I think I've learn a lot more from Ask This Old House the NYWS. I didn't mean to sound like I was criticizing Tom. I think part of the appeal of Norm is that hes so calm about everything (even on TOH which has the same production issues Tom is dealing with). Tom just strikes me as more of a general leading an army I it just seems like he would be more interested in working on big projects.